Very basic science type experiements for a 5yo please

(55 Posts)
HappyAsEyeAm Mon 24-Feb-14 09:09:39

Can anyone recommend anything please? It has to be basic and preferably have instant results (rather than say leaving it on the windowsill for a fortnight). As much mixing and adding various things as possible smile

Noggie Mon 24-Feb-14 19:12:25

Get a little bottle of sparkling water- have a gulg then pop some raisins in and watch them 'dance' up.....

Make bubble mixture. Washing up liquid, a few drops of glycerin and water, you could experiment with quantities of each one, (more glycerine will make mega strong bubbles) you could make different blowers, eg with pipe cleaners etc.

AmyMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 25-Feb-14 11:38:33

Hi there,

We've moved this thread to education so you don't lose your great ideas. Hope that's okay!

TheSporkforeatingkyriarchy Tue 25-Feb-14 13:37:35

I recommend The Happy Scientist which has a lot of experiments divided by interest as well as age as in the link I gave by grade group, the kindergarten level has quite a few mentioned here and some more.

AngryPrincess Tue 25-Feb-14 20:11:20

You could give them a magnet and get them to test what things around the house are magnetic and which are not, get them to guess first.
You can give them a bowl of water and get them to test what things dissolve and which don't.
And get some soapy water and see which utensils are good for blowing bubbles.
I like leaving some celery in water with food colouring. You can cut the celery and see where the water goes up the stem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now