Felsted School

(12 Posts)
chigmum Sat 22-Feb-14 17:30:21

We have moved to the Chigwell area and we are really interested in sending our 9 year old daughter to Felsted School but am worried the car journey will make the day too long for her. Would anyone happen to have any experience of this? Is the school worth the drive or should I look at local prep schools and look at Felsted for her senior school?
Thank you

TunipTheUnconquerable Sat 22-Feb-14 17:38:27

That's a hell of a drive to do twice a day.
My brothers went there as boarders decades ago, loved it and AFAIK it's still good, but I can't see anywhere being worth spending that long in the car every day. It will take over an hour each way on a good day but the traffic can be terrible at rush hour in that area, so it would often take you much longer.

DoctorDonnaNoble Sat 22-Feb-14 17:43:05

The traffic round Felsted way is AWFUL. We sometimes play them (senior school) at rugby and a boy I taught in Year 11 went there on a rugby scholarship for Sixth form. Only hear nice things about it from the games department. Is there really no where closer?

chigmum Sat 22-Feb-14 19:30:16

Thank you for your comments. Felsted do lay a coach on from Woodford and Epping so apart from making sure daughter is up at the crack of dawn wouldn't be too much of a problem but I am concerned about the length of the day for her i.e. 7am coach to 6.30pm home. However, the school looks marvellous and their facilities and results are excellent so that is why I wonder if it could be worth the drive. If not can anyone recommend independent primary schools in the area?
Thank you

covespring Sun 23-Feb-14 10:24:55

Felsted is a fabulous school and is going getting better under the current headmaster. The prep school is run by a lovely lady who knows her stuff, I can fully approve! Would it be possible for your child to board one or two nights a week to ease the travel?

chigmum Mon 24-Feb-14 02:21:55

Thank you covespring, that's great news. I think i have to work on the basis that she wouldn't board until senior school and even then i would hope only flexi. So do you think the school is worth the 40 min drive both ways? Sounds like you do?

Surely there are schools closer that could meet your families needs? What about Brentwood School or the Ursuline? And I'm sure I used to go past a couple fo schools when I was working temporarily in Buckhurst Hill.

PotatoPolly Mon 24-Feb-14 04:16:50

wow, thats a huge journey for a little one!
Just from local knowledge Felsted is a fantastic school, but like pps have suggested, is there nowhere closer? I think I'd struggle with 7am to 630pm days and I'm supposed to be an adult!

CocoCha Mon 24-Feb-14 04:23:17

I know people who've started off by doing the drive and found it too much so they've moved to Felsted. I think that in theory it sounds doable but in practice it's a killer.

PurpleAlert Tue 25-Feb-14 20:06:13

Have you considered Brentwood? It is a bit closer and has both a great prep school and secondary.

covespring Fri 28-Feb-14 19:21:08

Many people would drive 30 mins to school, for 40 mins, I would drive to felsted. But, any longer than 40 minutes I would consider other options simply because it's a long way for the child.

hertsandessex Sat 15-Mar-14 22:25:04

Have to agree that long Felsted day plus travel would be very tiring although I can think of a few who manage it. Perhaps depends on the child and how much energy they have. School is great but not sure better than Chigwell or Brentwood albeit easier to get a place most of the time - less people living nearby so a bit less demand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now