Catchment if You Can (What Lengths Would You Go To, To Live By the Right School?)

(28 Posts)
wholesomemum Mon 03-Feb-14 09:49:22

I'm a new mum...but I'm already thinking about this. And it's making me very aware of how different the middle classes were when I was growing up...(or were they?) In that there wasn't this widespread panic about buying into catchment. We always just went to the local schools no questions asked with the implication that we had to get on with it and that it was what we made of it. However, I feel like the league tables have changed all this forever. What do the rest of you think? And experiences with this? Any of you secretly feel you've sold out by moving near a grammar school or a top state when deep down you believe in a meritocratic society? Any good stories to tell?!

wholesomemum Wed 05-Feb-14 09:01:03

No clam, I was attempting to reply to a mum who is now witch hunting me for daring to question her she was telling another mumsnetter that she must be jealous of her and was "chippy" because the other netter couldn't send DD to a top private school and she could. I'm trying to explain tho her that I know I shouldn't have replied so passionately but that what I have seen amongst friends raised in that sector, and ditto whilst I was teaching in that sector, would make the hairs on your neck strand on end and therefore, that she shouldn't talk down to others in that manner since many of us would not use those schools even if we could. Because the ability to handle reality and to treat everyone of all levels with respect are still notions many of us see as key aspects of an upbringing.

clam Wed 05-Feb-14 09:06:34

I don't want need an explanation. You're de-railing your own thread. Take it somewhere else!

Shootingatpigeons Wed 05-Feb-14 12:16:14

wholesome I apologise if I was paranoid. If you had actually read that thread you would know I did actually write from the viewpoint that I could not afford to send my DD to that school and was surprised when helping expat teachers to find an option that was right for their DCs (quite a large segment of their market these days) that preconceptions possibly not a million miles from your own were unfounded. I was not the one that accused the other poster of being chippy, just challenged people trotting out the same old stereotypes, and the way in which you worded that post, which used some appalling rhetoric, suggested you harboured those sexist attitudes, and that it must be written from a male perspective. I there fore was genuinely suspicious when having taken time to write what I hope was an enlightening post here I recognised the user name. From time to time the Daily Mail does manufacture a story having fished here so I was genuinely suspicious .

Anyway as you were.......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now