March 3 Sceondary results/Waiting

(369 Posts)
AdventureTime Mon 27-Jan-14 16:34:05

This is my first post and I'd like to kick start he waiting thread.
DD hoping to get 1st choice grammar but has completely forgot about it all.
How's the anxiety/nervousness/ overall wait?

Journeytolight Wed 19-Feb-14 08:40:01

I wouldn't say we are worries, just parents who care about our child's education. Love the last line by the way MyArseIs. I told DD yesterday that there's only about 2 weeks left and she answered "for what?" I guess she needs to join the ocean of calm bastards.

I would say I'm calm but have the date on my mind but no one would believe me sad

Journeytolight Wed 19-Feb-14 08:41:08

I'm not saying that parents who aren't worrying don't care about their child's education for the record.

MyArseIsbiggerThanYours Wed 19-Feb-14 08:46:32

Oh I am a huge worrier, I'd like to pretend that I'm not but I blatantly am! It's not on my mind all the time but it creeps in more often than I'd like.

Worrying is such an utterly pointless waste of time and energy, I get cross with myself for doing it so then I'm angry and worried grin

Think I'd better go and throw make a cuppa.
brew

MyArseIsbiggerThanYours Wed 19-Feb-14 08:47:41

HA! Yes you were.

Ok. You weren't.

But you were really wink

Alright...

Journeytolight Wed 19-Feb-14 08:56:26

Oh really! Nah, I wasn't saying that! [False Accusation Alert)

I can worry so much about the tiniest of things! I should stop but strangely, for this, I am not too worried but I can't lie, I check the countdown all the time.

And yes, I did use 2 different types of brackets at the start grin

Lovealotofshopping Wed 19-Feb-14 16:52:32

I'm worrying. We are desperate for a place at an outstanding comp which runs a lottery system, It's an amazing school and as such is hugely oversubscribed.I don't envisage any scenario where it will pop up on my screen on Monday week so it's going to be a long haul whilst we wait for people holding on to places in Independent schools to reject their offers and then they start offering down. I know that they were still offering year 7 places up until January this year but most people who wanted a place had one by the summer holidays. Our second choice is only marginally less good academically and DC is happy to go there but DH and I are less keen on it. However, it allocates places on distance and we should get a place on the 3rd or very soon after as they offer as soon a people turn down places.

MyArseIsbiggerThanYours Wed 19-Feb-14 17:47:22

Lovealotofshopping - that sounds like a horrible situation to be in. Although, if the comprehensive you want offers a lottery system is there not a chance you could get it on 3rd? <hopeful>

Journeytolight Wed 19-Feb-14 18:52:34

Lovealot, I have sympathy for your situation. I hope your DC will get his/her first choice. Just be positive and things will be fine. Come in March 3rd, hurry up! I'm so impatient [cheeky smile]

Journeytolight Wed 19-Feb-14 18:53:10

Correction: come on not come in

Lovealotofshopping Wed 19-Feb-14 19:33:31

Yes, we could get it on the 3rd and then I will be dancing in the streets but my pessimistic nature means that I don't actually believe that we will be one of the lucky ones. I so hope we are, some people have to be don't they??

Journeytolight Wed 19-Feb-14 20:18:22

Don't worry, just try find something that will make time go faster. Half-term for the kids so we've gone to France which is making time go considerably faster. Go shopping (based on your name wink)
Try not to worry, that will make things a bit worse.

Marmitelover55 Thu 20-Feb-14 10:28:51

Lovesalot - we were in the same situation last year and we did get that lottery school place on 1st March (although my pessimistic nature hadn't let me anticipate this either).

Lots of my friends won't so lucky, but of those that stayed on the waiting list, a significant number did eventually get a place.

Good luck on the third, but don't give up hope if not.

oodyboodyboocs Thu 20-Feb-14 12:38:28

This is the first time I've been worried about a school place. For our 1st choice we are relying on someone else having filled out and returned an essential form to the school which they said they would do but they haven't confirmed whether they actually sent it back.
Our 2nd choice has places allocated on a lottery system.
Our 3rd choice was an insurance that we are in area for and is better than the other closest schools but I want to avoid sending dc there if possible so if we don't get either of 1st 2 choices we will be going on waiting lists.

tiggytape Thu 20-Feb-14 13:33:34

You have to view March 3rd as the start of the process not the end if you don't get what you want.
It can be very hard to be patient - after all the wait from October to March is bad enough but there is a lot of waiting list movement after March 3rd and a large proportion of people who are desperately disappointed in 2 weeks time will be at the school they want by September.

Of course it is lovely to get 1st choice straight away and not give it another thought but it isn't the end of the road if the news isn't good initially.

goldie81 Thu 20-Feb-14 21:43:35

It's just so much stress for everyone- where we are we have to do consortium tests (maths & vr) then we got results Oct & then had to strategically put 4school choices down! Now in my opinion 4 is not a choice but making sure you can't turn round & appeal saying you didn't get one of your choices!
Will be glad when we know for sure but even then like people said there's still lots of movement between schools

Journeytolight Fri 21-Feb-14 10:00:24

It is less stressful to find out if you got your first choice on he third but don't give up hope if you don't get it straight away like tiggytape said. The date is so close now but actually, I am getting less stressed rather than more.

wintertimeisfun Fri 21-Feb-14 12:44:39

just found out dd got offered a good music scholarship today to a really lovely school that dh went to. proud isn't the word :0) best of luck to everyone here waiting for results for secondary school

Journeytolight Fri 21-Feb-14 15:37:46

Well done to your DD winter! Is she going to go to that school then? Read your thread about it before posting and I've got to say that your DD is honestly a v. determined girl without actually seeing her. At least one of us has got their first choice!

steppemum Fri 21-Feb-14 16:46:00

Just found this thread. Was wondering if anyone else was waiting on tenterhooks!
Ds passed his 11+, but that doesn't mean he is guaranteed a place, won't know til the 3rd.
His 2nd choice is good comp, so not over stressing not much no not me
dd1 has birthday party on 1st, so I am distracted planning that.

wintertimeisfun Fri 21-Feb-14 17:14:31

thanks alot journey and yes, how can we not send her there although we will be very poor for the next 7 odd years :0). funny really but she didn't 'prepare' prior to the entrance exam as we were only applying for a (music) scholarship and not a general entrance. she found the vr exam somewhat tricky as didn't do much in the preparation for it beforehand, was relying more on the music side (plus maths/english). she LOVES music, this school has a very good music dept plus dh went there/his mother taught music there so a little in the family/sentimental. we do have a good state comp which i was happy for her to go to. now worrying about finding the money to pay for each term.......his parents put all three of their kids through private schools and aren't wealthy but managed. best of luck to everyone with your dc's schools

littlepurplealien Fri 21-Feb-14 17:16:15

It was a low birthrate round here for dc1, otherwise we wouldn't have got the primary school place that we did as we were out of catchment.

I thought we would find out by e-mail from midnight on 3rd March.

For various reasons we will be going straight to appeal if we don't get first choice but I think we have a very good chance of getting it (touch wood) although its doubly important for us as we need dc2 to have a chance under the sibling priority next time round.

steppemum Fri 21-Feb-14 17:28:24

I think ours is by email on 3rd, and is usually early in the day.

Marmitelover55 Fri 21-Feb-14 17:33:44

Ours came in an email at about 8am. I couldn't bring myself to open the email and had to let DH do it. This was a mistake as he told us with a straight face that DD1 had a place at our least favourite school, when in fact she had got a place in our first choice lottery school...

steppemum Fri 21-Feb-14 17:35:12

grin marmite

Journeytolight Fri 21-Feb-14 17:36:00

Steppemum, yes DD is like your DS as she did pass 11+ but don't know if she's got the place. Ours comes at about 5pm, later than other places.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now