anyone waiting to hear from Latymer Upper?

(58 Posts)
fruitcorner Mon 20-Jan-14 09:34:27

Anyone else still waiting to hear back from LU following exam last week? Interviews are on 1 Feb and I am not sure whether the school has been contacting people yet to call to interview

iwanttohideunderarock Wed 29-Jan-14 15:53:04

Shooting, yes I am a naive, single mum just trying to do her best for her son. It's a steep learning curve for us all.

I assumed, clearly with hindsight incorrectly, that ALL children were assessed by the same academic criteria, and that means tested bursaries were only added into the mix once the children's papers had been graded. At least this was what I was told this last year by the bursar of another school, from which I understood they were all on a level playing field.

I guess this thought process was naive & wrong and I guess its a harsh way to have learnt my mistake. I guess also my son just isn't up to the mark.

Moving on & probably best back under my rock, feels safer there.

Farewelltoarms Wed 29-Jan-14 16:13:05

No, school I'm thinking of is north of the river...

harrassedswlondonmum Wed 29-Jan-14 16:17:49

Latymer also has an outreach policy, farewell - linking with local primaries and encouraging applications from very able children who would not normally think of applying.

mimbleandlittlemy Wed 29-Jan-14 16:35:39

Iwant, I know exactly how you feel and don't beat yourself up, please. Have some of these flowers.

Shootingatpigeons Wed 29-Jan-14 17:13:35

Maybe Latymer has used the tactic of offering means tested scholarships to recruit some very bright pupils away from the competing schools to further it's strategy of improving it's academic reputation? If you look here www.latymer-upper.org/the-latymer-foundation.html at the annual report and accounts they describe an increase in the number of means tested scholarships as distinguished from bursaries, which implies academic selection. Most schools offer bursaries according to need, and, normally scholarships, which offer more prestige than monetary value, according to academic selection. Parents of boys would, and did, argue that their boys chances were sacrificed to the schools strategy for improving it's academic results when they admitted girls. They have been so successful in achieving their vision that they clearly have employed a lot of successful tactics......

Ladymuck There is little transparency in the normal selection process and the bursary process is also far more sensitive. My DDs schools have been very careful to make sure no one knows who is there on a bursary. The only way that they should be transparent, without risking increasing stigma (showoff parents apart) is to publish the size of the bursary fund for the year and how many pupils in the school are on full and partial bursaries, which they mostly do. Certainly at my DD's school it varies year to year but at @£1m it covers 42 bursaries of which 21 are full so in any given year it really is only a handful. The above report and accounts puts the Latymer fund at £1.3m funding 73 fully funded means tested scholarships 14 of 75% or more and 102 combined bursary / scholarships, so clearly the number of bursaries based on need are relatively small and they have preferred to allocate resources to means tested scholarships instead. It also looks likely that at least some of this larger number of scholarship / bursaries are for lesser amounts / shorter periods eg sixth form?

Iwanto maybe that school had enough bursary funds to be needs blind? Some are much richer in endowed funds for bursaries than others. I am also guessing some schools would set an academic bar then consider the other factors, such as social situation and finances to determine how to ration the bursaries between those that meet the academic criteria, whilst others will decide that if a candidate doesn't look like standing a chance in terms of the process for rationing funds then there is no point putting them through the stress of interview.

The thing is though that the academic selection process is opaque, it isn't even that cut and dried if you can afford to pay. As Needmore highlights it throws up all sorts of anomalies. Each school has different papers, some straightforward, some testing lateral thinking, and places a different emphasis between school reference, maths, English, VR, general knowledge and interview and even more so between a pupil's creativity, accuracy, intellect, sports prowess, music, drama etc etc. n terms of the selection process. The fact that a child is competing for a limited bursary pot just throws another variable factor into the mix. It isn't a racetrack that rewards those first past the finishing post with the highest marks .

So all we parents can do is have a nice cosy safe rock there for our DCs where what matters is them. Believe me passing the exam into even the most selective and prestigious school doesn't mean that you won't need that rock again, and again.

Shootingatpigeons Wed 29-Jan-14 17:14:16

Also cake

bookworm9229 Sun 09-Feb-14 19:18:40

We have 3 kids at private schools and manage it, just .In one particular very selective school I bid on something I couldn't comfortably afford for the benefit of the bursary fund .This, we are told are for exceptional children ,that would otherwise not be able to benefit from an education that others can afford to pay for .Usually heart breaking circumstances .Reading this thread I am confused ,either sites like these are misleading or the schools themselves are .As far as I am aware ,the fee payers compete against themselves ,then if someone has performed stratospherically but has had circumstances that the Bursary Fund believe should be taken into account ,then that is where help is at hand .
If people are not told this straight then this makes me really angry .It should be transparent .The money for the bursaries are raised by the fee paying parents .

Shootingatpigeons Mon 10-Feb-14 12:23:18

Bookworm not sure why you are confused? I would say that the message that comes from this thread is that different schools have differing capabilities in terms of offering bursaries / "means tested scholarships" and use different criteria to make the decision on who is most deserving. Parents therefore need to talk to each school to enable them to understand their prospects of success and how the decision will be made.

The bursary campaign at DDs school is most heavily targeted at alumnae and at the organisations that are keen to build up a relationship with the school to encourage applications for student sponsorship schemes / graduate recruitment, accountancy firms and the like. I think they probably recognise that current parents are stretched enough paying for their own DCs......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now