Trying several piano teachers at once, selfish, stupid or clever idea?

(32 Posts)
flack Fri 28-Jul-06 12:50:40

We've had a couple of false starts finding a piano teacher. I am wondering if it would be better to book DS a lesson with several local teachers, and see which one he likes (and I like) best. Does this sound like a mean thing to do to the teachers, will it confuse DS too much, how do I politely explain it to the would-be teachers, will they get peeved at me and not even turn up?

Any other service you would shop around, and sample before committing, but I don't know what the protocal is for music lessons. TIA.

threebob Mon 07-Aug-06 09:28:20

Or ask him to make you up a piece on the black notes called the hedgehog, or sunrise, or leaves falling. You can't sound bad on the black notes.

tortoiseshell Mon 07-Aug-06 09:52:54

roisin - practice/practise - when you write it, think of the word advise/advice, and which would be appropriate.

So, 'he does not practise' = 'He does not advise'
'His practice was beneficial' = 'His advice was beneficial'.

flack - it sounds like you've got a teacher well suited to you - as a piano teacher myself, I have to say I wouldn't be happy with that arrangement, as lessons when practice hasn't taken place are really unsatisfactory for the teacher AND the pupil - you spend lots of time relearning what you did the previous week. And also, looking at the 'week by week' basis, that would be fine for me as long as I didn't have someone who could fill that slot regularly, as I have to look at my regular income. But if your teacher is happy then that's ideal for you. If you can get your child to practise, you'll find they get an awful lot more out of the lessons, and will probably then be more motivated to practise, as they can see the results.

Have to confess, I wouldn't take on a pupil whose parents weren't committed to practice - it's one of those things a parent HAS to police, as a child usually won't. I used to play the piano the WHOLE time, but even then I sometimes had to be made to do some practice. It is worth it. Sticker charts work really well, and it is much much better to do 10 mins a day, every day rather than an hour once a week - just making sure they touch the piano each day really helps!

tortoiseshell Mon 07-Aug-06 09:54:36

Just to add, as far as cost of lessons go, I charge £11 for half an hour, at my house. That's slightly under the recommended rate, but most of my pupils parents/siblings have to look after my children so I give a discount!

threebob Mon 07-Aug-06 21:11:31

My parents made me practise through many a sticky patch when I didn't really want to. And now I am very grateful to them.

I insist on practise, but I have all sorts of tools I give to the parents. Little boys love the lego model idea from practisespot, and older children respond to equal time on MSN to practise time. I give them all a scale game (like monopoly) and they go on the scale leader board (like top gear - a pupil with a reasonably priced scale). I teach them all how to practise.

Every single pupil practised this holiday and so far this term has been brilliant for me as a teacher.

siddiqui Sat 07-May-11 23:58:36

Hi,
I am looking for a piano female teacher, who can come to my home to teach. I am in North London, near south gate. I have 2 kids. 7 and 6 years old. If any body know who can teachs please let me know

peteneras Sun 08-May-11 00:29:07

I know of an excellent female piano teacher/examiner in East Barnet but she doesn't visit. She goes overseas examining pupils too - speaks volumes about her calibre, and therefore, her home pupils may have to miss lessons every now and again when she's overseas but of course, she makes up for 'lost' lessons.

mum69 Sat 17-Nov-12 15:02:26

Hello Peteneras, I am also looking for a piano teacher. Could you please forward her details if I PM you. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now