open university degree

(97 Posts)
MrsAragon Sun 12-Jan-14 17:06:13

has anybody done one? i am thinking about it, either health science or social science, nervous wreck just thinking about it never mind doing it sad

dashoflime Sun 12-Jan-14 19:50:26

I did one in Law.

Really enjoyed it until 4 years in. Then it started to drag. bear in mind- its a very, very long time commitment. 6 years at the least. Mine actually took 7 years because I had to take a years break due to other commitments and pressures. This is probably fairly common as, with the longer time period, its may be harder to be certain at the beginning that you will continue to have the time to keep up the commitment.

dashoflime Sun 12-Jan-14 19:51:58

Its about 16 hours of work per week- so if your working full time, you will have very little time left over for friends, hobbies etc.

MrsAragon Sun 12-Jan-14 20:38:41

so much to think about!!

FernArable Mon 13-Jan-14 07:20:41

I'm currently doing a history degree so far I've completed 1 level 1 course and I'm part way through my second level 2 course. All together it will take me 4.5 years, I started in February 2012 and will finish June 2016. I was very lucky to get in before the prices increased so much and now I'm on transitional fee's.
If you get a good tutor you'll be fine, although the forums and Facebook groups can be a good place for support as well. At level 1 you can get away with only reading material relevant to the assignments so it can be a bit of a shock when you get to level 2 and have to read everything because you have an exam!
I would say it is definitely worth it, it's given me something to focus on at a time it's pointless for me to work and most of the time it's really enjoyable. Good luck!

I am doing a business degree with OU at the moment.

I am working full time and I have 3 DCs so it's hard going sometimes. But I have always wanted to get my degree. I was 3 months into a business degree at an actual uni when I became pregnant with dd.

I always said that I would go back to it. So 15 years later, here I am grin
The OU is the only way I could do it without leaving my job, which I cannot afford to, so I am doing it like this. And I am enjoying it.

I have a study schedule on the wall at home so everyone knows it's my time to study and they are not allowed to disturb me with things like "I can't find my football boots" or "can I have a bowl of ice cream"

grin

CaptainHindsight Mon 13-Jan-14 08:20:45

Another AA100 student! Feb start. smile

MrsAragon Mon 13-Jan-14 11:14:38

such a difficult decision sad when my last DC goes to school i could work full time and earn 22,000. i'm thinking a degree would help get a job with more than that so a worthwhile investment but in this day and age it might not, we have people with degrees doing my vocational training course nowadays!! you lot sound amazing doing it round full time work, could i do this??

losersaywhat Mon 13-Jan-14 11:17:06

Im currently doing a degree in Scottish history. Im on my second level one module, I did AA100 last year :-).
I dont do as much studying as I should but have to admit I am really bad for leaving everything to the last minute. I already have a degree from years ago fron a brick uni and am enjoying this one more. Ive found the tutors to be great and had amazing support last year from a facebook group. Talking to other people def helped as it gave me some motivation and helped me realise that we were all in the same boat and panicked together.

losersaywhat Mon 13-Jan-14 11:19:35

Oh I forgot to add that I work full time and have 3 kids too and manage to do it all and still spend too much time on here.

BananaNotPeelingWell Mon 13-Jan-14 11:20:23

I know it probably depends on which degree you do, but is the work mainly of the research/essay type of format, or do you have to get to things/set up experiments or whatnot? Sorry stupid question probably. I think I could manage essays/research but not the other.

MrsAragon Mon 13-Jan-14 11:22:44

banana have narrowed my choice down to 2 coures which i think is one of each type, one is health science one is social science.

Acinonyx Mon 13-Jan-14 11:24:14

If there is an experimental component it is designed to be done easily by students at home with minimal materials. Some science courses have computer simulations to use as practical tutorials - it does depend on the course.

BananaNotPeelingWell Mon 13-Jan-14 11:28:10

Sounds great! I've been dithering around about an OU degree for years. In truth I dont think I could have managed it when mine were younger but they're 12 and 15 now and I think maybe now...I'd probably do arts/lit type of modules. MrsA I wish you all the best. Go for it!smile

tinypumpkin Mon 13-Jan-14 11:32:39

I teach social science for the OU if you wanted to talk via PM. Am marking an assignment right now. smile

Squitten Mon 13-Jan-14 11:43:04

I'm studying with the OU. Am now one module away from completion (after the one I'm doing now).

I am lucky to be on the old fees still because it is shockingly expensive now. I'm studying History and have been doing it since DC1 was a baby and he is now 5 - and we now have 8wk old DC3! It is a hard slog at times but I have found as long as you remain disciplined, the work load is fine. Think about exams, etc, and how to best time them. For example, I kept my only remaining non-exam module for now because I knew I'd still be BF the baby. A supportive partner is a big help too - DH has taken the kids out at weekends many times when I've been essay-crunching!

I've really enjoyed it and it's been great to have some personal development while being a SAHM

MrsAragon Mon 13-Jan-14 12:14:40

will only be able to do it if i get help with fees so fingers crossed, tinypumpkin that would be fab smile

CaptainHindsight Mon 13-Jan-14 12:50:37

CosmicDespo Im doing the same course. <waves>

TheRealCarrieBradshaw Mon 13-Jan-14 13:05:03

Mrs - Have you looked into Student Finance? Mine's via that, therefore I don't pay any fees, plus they didn't ask for proof of income or anything ?

You should be able to get student finance if you are earning under a certain amount. It is really expensive without financing- I keep telling myself it will be worth the expense in the end <weeps>

MrsAragon Mon 13-Jan-14 13:21:53

can't do it without finance, applying for help through saat, they pay for part time study if you earn under certain amount

Geckos48 Mon 13-Jan-14 13:23:37

Hi I am topping up my HND2, starting a level 2 module in February and then doing two level 3 concurrent courses in October. I will be on maternity leave shortly after I start so it shouldn't be too hectic for too long!

YoMrWhite Mon 13-Jan-14 13:30:26

If you dont have a degree then you will get the funding via student finance

LucilleBluth Mon 13-Jan-14 13:31:55

I am a SAHM and my DH is a high earner and I still got finance, the reason being that I haven't studies at degree level before.

LucilleBluth Mon 13-Jan-14 13:32:18

Studied even!

Danann Mon 13-Jan-14 13:40:15

I'm doing my 5th and 6th modules now, I found level 1 eased me into it quite nicely and am really enjoying it so far, although it would be better had I not left assignments to the last minute again. Good luck Mrs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now