Churston Ferrers

(14 Posts)
Flopsygrowsup Sat 04-Jan-14 18:05:29

Hi we're moving to Devon (see numerous over excited threads). Hadn't considered grammar as there arent anywhere we live now but now a number of people have recommended that DS would do well at one.

He is in yr 5 at mo and doing well he has mild dyspraxia which means handwriting is hardworking and so after Occ Therapy assessment he is allowed to use computer or given extra time for tests.

Do you think he would be allowed to do this and do you think he would be well supported in CF.

Ferguson Sat 04-Jan-14 22:45:12

Hi - we've 'met' before. I thought you mentioned Exeter at some stage?

Our DS went to Torquay Boys' and did very well. (Dr Chris Lintott, of 'Sky At Night' went there, as they have an observatory.) I don't have experience of Churston Ferrers, but I think it has a good reputation, and is in a nice area between Paignton and Brixham; traffic can be bad in holiday season!

There is also Westlands in Torquay, that has a grammar 'stream' but I just looked and they are being required to convert to an academy, so that's possibly not a good sign.

Flopsygrowsup Sun 05-Jan-14 17:47:02

Hi thanks for reply - job will be based in Exeter so looking for commutable areas. Have found a nice house near totnes but KEVICCS seems to have mixed feviews

oakman Sun 05-Jan-14 21:34:11

Interesting ....In your post ' Moving to Devon' you said " that sounds like a huge pressure to put someone under" when discussing Colyton Grammar, now your discussing CF.....do you think Churston Ferrers 11+ enter exam will be any easyer than Colytons?

Flopsygrowsup Sun 05-Jan-14 22:00:13

Oakman - I meant the journey and the discussion re Colyton was primarily other posters - I had never heard of it before then. You used the phrase super selective. That put me to looking on line and then cam across churston Ferrers. My understanding is that there is variability in tests for 11 plus and the phrase super selective implied a particularly high level. All I am trying to do is work out what are the options available for my son.

Flopsygrowsup Sun 05-Jan-14 22:00:43

Oakman - I meant the journey and the discussion re Colyton was primarily other posters - I had never heard of it before then. You used the phrase super selective. That put me to looking on line and then cam across churston Ferrers. My understanding is that there is variability in tests for 11 plus and the phrase super selective implied a particularly high level. All I am trying to do is work out what are the options available for my son.

nevergoogle Sun 05-Jan-14 22:05:48

I don't know much about the school only that it has a good reputation and friends of ours also living in Totnes are considering it for their child.

My only advice would be that traffic around the area is dreadful in the summer. Torquay grammar would give you the same problem really.

Have you considered South Devon in Ashburton or Ivybridge Community College?

Springcleanish Sun 05-Jan-14 22:06:47

You need to look at the alternatives if he doesn't pass the 11plus, and most of those in Torbay are grim. Also in my experience Grammar Schools, by the fact they cater for the "most academic" tend to have poor support for students with additional needs, others may disagree with this.
The commute from Churston to Exeter is quite lengthy also. I would consider Newton Abbot, Teignmouth, a bit further up and no Grammar system, or some of the villages outside Exeter have great comprehensives.

Biscuitsneeded Sun 05-Jan-14 22:17:32

Kings School in Ottery St Mary?

Flopsygrowsup Sun 05-Jan-14 22:20:09

We're going to look at Ivybridge, Teign, the one in Ashburton and KEVICC. Have seen a house we like nr Totnes but not sure re KEVICC and its the Torbay side of Totnes. So if KEVICC not ok, or other better will look at other houses

Flopsygrowsup Sun 05-Jan-14 22:31:49

Kings looks good biscuits

Biscuitsneeded Mon 06-Jan-14 20:40:45

I don't live there but my parents do, it has a very good reputation locally and would be an easy commute to Exeter. Lots of lovely villages/coastline etc around there.
My smallest cousin is at the one in Ashburton and they are very happy. Two other cousins went to the boys' and girls' grammars in Torquay and did very well. But all those might be a bit far from Exeter.

Flopsygrowsup Mon 06-Jan-14 22:06:29

We are going to look at Ashburton (south Dartmoor) it has a good reputation

Metebelis3 Tue 07-Jan-14 18:05:44

oakman The CF/TGGS/TBGS etc exam is easier to pass than the Colyton one. More places available. More emphasis on VR. Easier English. I don't know anyone who passed Colyton and didn't pass the Torbay exam. I do know people who passed the Torbay and not the Colyton one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now