Absence codes

(6 Posts)
blueicecube Thu 02-Jan-14 20:27:16

Any idea why a school would use an incorrect absence code?

I have noticed that some sickness has been recorded as authorised absence instead of illness and am not sure why hmm

DoctorDonnaNoble Thu 02-Jan-14 20:29:54

Can happen when the register is entered before the information about sickness gets to the right people. When we had paper registers I could leave a student blank for a bit. Electronic registers automatically give unauthorised absence. It can sometimes take a little time to get them changed. If you've spotted a mistake raise it. The school will thank you. We are judged on absence rates.

blueicecube Thu 02-Jan-14 20:34:58

Thanks - is it better for the school to have illness recorded rather than authorised absence then? Don't all absences count on the records?

DoctorDonnaNoble Thu 02-Jan-14 20:36:53

Better to have illness yes.

blueicecube Thu 02-Jan-14 20:38:24

Hmm - school seem to have made a few errors. They have also used a code 'B' which I think means educated elsewhere when it wasn't the case either.

ChancetoDance Thu 02-Jan-14 20:46:20

IME it's most likely to be "just" a mistake. Either the person taking the register wasn't sure which code to use and guessed or they hit the wrong key.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now