Grammar offers 10 places to those triggering "pupil premium"

(176 Posts)
legallady Fri 20-Dec-13 10:36:05

Forgive me if this is a regular occurrence at other grammars but for those on the recent grammar thread, I thought it was interesting that Nonsuch High ( highly selective grammar in S W London) has reserved it's first 10 places for girls who have triggered the pupil premium at their primary school at any time in the last six years.

I know it's only ten out of 180 but at least they have thought about it. It may well be that they're just after the additional money but I like to think that their motives are a little more altruistic than that!

WooWooOwl Tue 24-Dec-13 22:20:25

But the unfairness is not actually built into the system.

So you want to help correct unfairness in another system by building some more unfairness into it in the way that Nonsuch are suggesting?

I disagree that there isn't any of the same unfairness in the comp system. There will always be unfairness unless schools stop allocating places by catchment and start funding every single NT child equally.

There are ways of levelling the playing field without using so called 'positive' discrimination.

Summer, I agree with what you say, and it's because I don't link poverty with lack of aspiration that I disagree with the way PP money is allocated. It follows that I disagree with another measure being put in place that assumes FSM families automatically need to be given an advantage in education over others who have just as many valid reasons to be deserving of the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now