triple science or not?

(37 Posts)
zooweemumma Tue 17-Dec-13 16:16:14

Am sure the school will advise when the time comes but dd1 wants to take triple science. In my ignorance I assumed this was physics, chemistry and biology blush but she says, no, double science still covers all three subjects but in slightly less detail. Is that right? And if she wants to be a physio would triple science be better than double science?

TalkinPeace Fri 20-Dec-13 15:22:09

crazymum
DDs summer GCSE timetable is up on the Exam board websites : she has around 28 exams during the four weeks

titchy Fri 20-Dec-13 15:53:00

Crazy mum - it's only that way if they structure it so kids get a GCSE in each of the named sciences. They can still do Core in yr 10, additional and further in yr 11, as long as they don't mind the GCSEs being called Core Science, Additional Science and Further Additional science.

crazymum53 Fri 20-Dec-13 16:59:24

New government policy means that early entry for GCSEs is now being strongly discouraged. This may not affect students currently in Y11 who have already taken Core Science in Y10 but this will affect students currently in Y9 or 10. The link is attached [https://www.gov.uk/government/news/changes-to-early-entry-at-gcse]].

Shootingatpigeons Fri 20-Dec-13 17:31:15

Dd is now doing Natural Sciences at uni, an A*AA course, but did double Science because she wanted to keep up two languages, History and Geography. With four Science A levels that would have been more likely to strengthen her application than weaken it. The main thing was to get 10 A/ A* . She was a bit annoyed they didn't warn her there would be jump she would largely have to cover by herself in a couple of modules but nothing she couldn't handle. Frankly a breeze to some of the challenges presented by A2 Chemistry........shock

titchy Fri 20-Dec-13 18:07:46

Core is designed to be taken in year 10 - that isn't early entry! I have dc in year 10 doing this.

Whathaveiforgottentoday Sat 21-Dec-13 00:07:16

I've taught kids at A level coming from both double and triple science and have to admit, often can't tell which did which. If the school teaches triple science in normal science timetable they have to rush the teaching which means the knowledge is often a bit superficial and those who took their time when doing double have a deeper understanding.
The only real benefit of triple is that you're normally in with the best kids.

BackforGood Sat 21-Dec-13 00:29:59

You'll find when the time comes, there's usually a lot less 'choice' than you might think a bit like the idea of 'choosing' what secondary school you go for. It depends how the option blocks are set up.

My ds did triple science, and he's FAR less academic than my dd (in a different school) as, for her to do triple science, it meant she couldn't do enough of the other subjects she wanted. He, however, did the triple in the same lesson time as others in his school did the double - that's just what the top set did. Ironic really as he dropped all science as soon as he could, and dd wants to do A-levels in some sciences.

FirConesAtXmas Sun 22-Dec-13 08:37:27

I've just been looking at the GCSE options booklet at my DCs school.
They offer GCSE double science, or (for L6+), iGCSEs in 3 separate sciences.

punny Sun 22-Dec-13 23:57:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Erebus Tue 31-Dec-13 12:50:48

Argh, Talkin -12 GCSEs? What madness! Really! You know where my DS goes to school wink and I personally am cross that he has to do 11. They just don't need 11 GCSEs. DS is doing triple but at our school, the only way to do triple is 'fast-track' -so as to free up a lesson spot to do yet another GCSE which he doesn't need, hence we have 'Electronics' and 'Business and Communication' GCSEs (the latter is taken at the end of Y10, but even so!) for example.

DS needs to do triple for 2 reasons: he wants to do science A levels, he isn't particularly strong at anything else (as in doing double to allow a second MFL, or more than one humanity, or statistics as well as maths) and he's not that keen on Biology so can't afford to let a low mark in the Bio component of double bring his chem and physics marks down.

TalkinPeace Thu 02-Jan-14 17:49:21

Erebus
it seems madness on paper but
the double English is in a single lesson - just stretching them a bit
the double maths - ditto
the triple science is in a double lesson
no after school lessons, so far not too much stress
no early takes - its the huge block of exams next summer that will be fun !

and DD is doing science and maths A levels so it all slots
the PITA subject is the one that was meant to be fluffy ... if she'd not already done half the course work we would drop it!

losingtrust Fri 03-Jan-14 17:55:48

My DS has already been told he should do Biology, Chemistry and Physics as separates but they have been split into EBACC and non groups. This only leaves him two choices so he is giving up Geography so he can do History and cannot do Music and IT which seems a shame but he may get the opportunity to do that later. I just hope that those being told and encouraged to do all 3 get the support. I don't think his school does triple - just separates.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now