Pupil premium...can someone explain this, please..

(41 Posts)
Misfitless Sun 01-Dec-13 20:49:23

I've just read on another thread that if a child at any point in their education has been entitled to free school dinners, then this automatically means they are exempt from paying for school trips.

I've paraphrased this, and not sure if this is accurate or not. Can someone clear this up for me, please?
TIA

ravenAK Sun 01-Dec-13 22:35:41

Ofsted will ask: 'How are you spending your PP budget? How has this had an impact?'

Just parking it with the general school's budget wouldn't be the answer they're looking for!

ReluctantBeing Sun 01-Dec-13 22:35:42

Pupil premium covers more than just students on free school meals. How a school spends the pupil premium money is up to them, and it might not automatically mean free trips.

sittinginthesun Sun 01-Dec-13 22:36:11

Angels - Ofsted are very hot on this. The school have to show exactly where it's spent, and have to show that it has narrowed the gap. The teachers have to track PP children very carefully to show progress.

Hassled Sun 01-Dec-13 22:39:54

It's known as Ever 6 - FSM claimants at any point within the last 6 years. And it's far from easy money for schools - you have to be able to show tangible impact, whether on attendance or reductions in exclusions or attainment or whatever. It can't just " be absorbed".

Bradsplit Sun 01-Dec-13 22:40:27

It's not allowed to be absorbed. That's the thing

NorthernShores Sun 01-Dec-13 22:45:14

My daughter has 100 pee cent attendance and is high achieving ( well, not by mn standards but it's a low achieving area so she's already in a high achieving small group but they're only doing what would be normal else where!)

The pp won't directly help her, but it's a large fsm area I suspect en mass it goes to extra staff and pastoral workers etc.

sittinginthesun Sun 01-Dec-13 22:49:02

Northern - you'd be amazed by the tracking. Regardless of her current levels, they still have to show improved progress as a result of the PP money. So if she's doing well, this may cover extension work, or extra school clubs she could benefit from.

NorthernShores Sun 01-Dec-13 22:55:04

Looking at the schools policies it looks like only70% of a pp funded intervention has to benefit fsm children. They've got a fully worked out policy but the examples of places the money goes are pastoral care, reduced class sizes one to one.

Tracking my daughter specifically would be interesting add she'd met many of her reception goal s by the end of pre school. My husband was made redundant from a well paid job and I've had ill health. Not ideal but in my daughters class she's one of the ones least likely to need the money!

daphnedill Sun 01-Dec-13 23:02:20

My Year 11 ds is an "Ever 6 FSM" child and the school has been allocated £900 for this academic year. It really isn't that unusual for schools to receive funding for high achieving pupils. He already has three A*s taken in Year 10 and his target grades for his remaining GCSEs are all As and A*s. He will receive approximately £50 of revision books recommended by the school. The school has funded an open day to Cambridge Uni to raise his aspirations. It will also use its contacts to ensure that he gets the same kind of work experience in Year 12 which the children of parents in high-flying jobs will find easier to organise.

NorthernShores Sun 01-Dec-13 23:12:12

Wow that's fab. My daughter's in reception and is no longer on fsm. I think the policy more or less says the money isn't specifically allocated to your child. I'd love to link to the policy but it would out me.

Obviously I'm interested as selfishly we're still in a financial pickle so it would be helpful obviously. Looking at her class though I just can't see her being the one they'd target anything at!

The policy says something along the lines of targeting social deprivation and they've aware or won't precisely tally with those on fsm. There will be those on fsm who aren't in need and those who are in need bit not on fsm.

We're paying full price for an after school club. I believe breakfast club is subsidised for those on fsm but we can no longer tick that box, just one could if that makes sense.

My confusion is on being someone who qualifies as having been on fsm rather than currently.

AngelsWithSilverWings Sun 01-Dec-13 23:15:56

This tracking of PP children sounds interesting.In fact this is a very interesting thread.

DS is one of the very bright ones and has always been top of the class in literacy and numeracy.The school is a very pushy one.It is very proud of it's results and position in the league tables. He is never allowed to rest on his laurels and his teacher pushes and pushes him.This is now,before he has to be tracked! I wonder how much more they will want from him to meet their target! the poor boy is going to be worked into the ground!

DD is the opposite.She can be very slow to pick things up. Her speech is still not great even at 5 years old. She is currently getting extra reading help which is great. The pupil premium will hopefully mean that she gets even more help.

MirandaWest Sun 01-Dec-13 23:56:08

NorthernShores my DC are also high flyers (and in a fairly high achieving school). I don't see it's fair that any pupil premium the school gets gives them any extra support as I really don't think they need it. But they may well be an anomaly.

Am tempted to ask the school about pupil premium but will probably leave it grin

MirandaWest Mon 02-Dec-13 00:03:53

Looked at numbers of children eligible for FSM and for PP. It's 8 for FSM and 11 for PP. So 2 of the ex FSM are my DC and there's another child. Overall FSM level is 3.3% which is pretty low.

daphnedill Mon 02-Dec-13 00:55:07

NorthernShores,

You could try having a chat with the headteacher and explain your situation, if the breakfast club is funded by the school. PP money isn't supposed to be used to supplement SEN provision, but for all the other purposes people have mentioned. If you're receiving Child Tax Credits or have a low income, the school might consider subsidising your place.

The question should be "Is this child's education suffering as a result of lack of wealth?" (or something like that). My ds goes to a high-achieving school, where many of the parents are also wealthy. Most of them can afford to buy revision books, hire tutors, take their offspring on holidays to expand their cultural horizons, make sure their offspring have newish-looking school uniforms (so they don't get bullied), pay for extra-curricular activities, organise interesting work experience placements in their own workplace or with friends, etc. etc.

I was a bit peeved that the school was receiving £900 for my ds, but not spending ANY of it on him, as he's high-achieving. I looked at the school's accounts and realised that most of the money was disappearing into the general budget and, what's more, the gap between the PP pupils and the others was a massive 50% at GCSE (A*-C inc Maths and English). I contacted the school to voice my concerns and the policy was updated, not so much because of my ds, but because the school realised it would be slated by OFSTED - it's "outstanding", but will lose that unless it closes the achievement gap. However, I was asked for my opinion on the new policy, so parents can sometimes bring about change.

NorthernShores Mon 02-Dec-13 06:38:38

I think our school has a reasonable policy. We're in a high free school meal area and any intervention had to have at least70% of those on free school meals included. They state it won't match exactly as that might not match need.

It is a very disadvantaged area I've realised. It's explicitly stated the pp money isn't used for those statemented.

I don't think I could demand is spent on my child specifically. Especially as we're no longer on fsm anyway. The school has a policy of anyone being able to say if they can't afford something and most things are kept very cheap. They're an ace school with great care and results given the intake.

lifeissweet Mon 02-Dec-13 07:32:00

My school is in a very disadvantaged area. The percentage of fsm is large and the money we receive for it is enormous! We don't explicitly offer to subsidise school trips - the plans for spending pp are more strategic than that and are spent in extra, targeted clubs, equipment, iPads, software, additional support staff for interventions...etc.

The problem is that our own data shows no general disparity whatsoever between fsm children and others - so we are made to throw resources and money at an almost arbitrary bunch of children and make sure we prove that they have made accelerated progress. Although the money is undoubtedly helpful, I am not sure it always achieves the aims the Government would wish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now