How do you find a GOOD private tutor?

(12 Posts)
tostaky Mon 28-Oct-13 21:35:21

Because the issue seems to be so sensitive, it feels just awkward to ask another mum if she knows/uses one....

SatinSandals Tue 29-Oct-13 20:31:06

I only used one once and I asked his teacher.

HannahSN Thu 07-Nov-13 15:49:59

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Talkinpeace Thu 07-Nov-13 16:50:29

I asked a friend at my gym and somebody else butted in with the same name

Tamara123 Fri 08-Nov-13 01:05:22

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Tamara123 Fri 08-Nov-13 01:06:20

I am quite interested to know why it's awkward to discuss tutors though.

bsc Fri 08-Nov-13 01:14:20

Because lots of parents either don't want you to know their child is tutored or else they don't want you to also use an excellent tutor as your child might wrest that coveted school place from theirs! (20:1 applicants for places here...)

antimatter Fri 08-Nov-13 10:53:16

http://www.thetutorpages.com/

tutors advertise themselves there
lots of other pages seem to be companies who are also charging tutees

antimatter Fri 08-Nov-13 10:53:33
Bonsoir Fri 08-Nov-13 18:14:23

"Because lots of parents either don't want you to know their child is tutored or else they don't want you to also use an excellent tutor as your child might wrest that coveted school place from theirs! (20:1 applicants for places here...)"

Competition for school places is a very real reason for parents to keep their cards close to their chests when it comes to tutoring.

Parents of kids that have done the 11+ (or whatever your kids is about to do) are where you get the best information.

Not only are they willing to share, as it's no threat to their child, they can also tell you if it worked.

That said, Google is your friend. Make contact and have a few phone calls. it soon become clear who knows their onions.

Newbizmum Sat 09-Nov-13 16:41:10

Recently retired teachers, ones who have just left your school, teachers from decent nearby schools, private school teachers looking for 2nd jobs etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now