When/How can code B be used for attendance?

(18 Posts)

Given teachers don't need to be qualified, can a HT agree the child can be educated at home to cover the flexi-schooling thing, as long as that parent emails each day with their whereabouts and rough curriculum?

Educated by their parent that is.

LordPalmerston Sun 27-Oct-13 09:58:07

What are you on about

I'm trying to figure out how to flexi school without consequence to the school's attendance rates and subsequent refusal.

scarevola Sun 27-Oct-13 10:04:39

It's school's discretion on flexi-schooling (which probably amounts to HT I. Practice). Parents do not have a right to flexi school, and even schools which are accommodating of it will probably require a set pattern of attendance and some co-ordination with the main curriculum.

The qualifications/experience of the teacher are not relevant to the agreement (or otherwise) to flexi school.

It is up to the HT, I know, but most will not agree if they have to mark it as an absence and therefore jeapordise their Ofsted score.

Which is why I am asking how I can make if fulfil the criteria for a code B instead of an absence.

The qualification or otherwise of the parent might be relevant.

To the use of code b

noblegiraffe Sun 27-Oct-13 10:17:03

'Schools should not mark a pupil as attending school, using the attendance code B for off-site education activity, unless the school is responsible for supervising the off-site education, and can ensure the safety and the welfare of the pupil off-site.

Schools are ultimately responsible for the attainment of every child registered on their roll. Whilst being home educated, parents and carers are responsible for pupils, not schools.

Where parents have entered in to flexi-schooling arrangements, schools may continue to offer those arrangements. Pupils should be marked absent from school during periods when they are receiving home education.'

Says the DfE

Grrrr, even if the Home Education IS supervised by the school?

noblegiraffe Sun 27-Oct-13 10:40:14

I guess they can't guarantee their safety and welfare?

So how do they do it on school trips?

And what code do they use if the child is sent a home tutor whilst still on school role?

noblegiraffe Sun 27-Oct-13 10:46:52

School trips are V. Sporting activities are P.

Not sure about home tuition.

So what IS B?

noblegiraffe Sun 27-Oct-13 13:15:36

We use it when some of our GCSE kids are doing part time courses at the local college, hairdressing and the like.

Labro Sun 27-Oct-13 16:17:46

Tends to be for things like extended work placements (ie when they are secondary age and accessing the core curriculum at school but doing a placement elsewhere)
Not sure if there is a similar thing at primary age, though friends ds at one point was only in school 3 days a week, but that was at schools request under some sort of 'couldn't meet his needs' rather than at parents request

noblegiraffe Sun 27-Oct-13 17:07:39

Kids who have a part time timetable for medical reasons etc use the code C for when they aren't in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now