Sixth form college with boarding?

(11 Posts)
juliandickgeorgeandann Tue 22-Oct-13 06:26:59

Hello Mumsnetters! We are expats hoping to send DD back to UK for A Level studies in a sixth form college (rather than boarding school) next September. We won't be returning with her, so need one with boarding, where most of the pupils are from expat families or overseas with a good mix of nationalities (ie so there are lots of boarders). I am about to trawl the Good Schools Guide but thought I would ask on MN first for recommendations. If we can't find a college we will go for a school, but as she is very mature and independent for her age a strict or regimented boarding school would be a big challenge for her. Thanks in anticipation.

WeightyKaty Tue 22-Oct-13 06:30:25

I don't know it myself but friends went to Peter symonds in Winchester which is a good state sixth form with boarding. Girls moved there from my private boarding in Dorset.

TeenAndTween Tue 22-Oct-13 09:33:54

PS is known as an excellent 6th form, with a small boarding house.
But you may have already missed the boarding application deadline date as I think it was in September. (If I recall it takes students from the Falklands, but also elsewhere)

outtolunchagain Tue 22-Oct-13 12:06:58

Hurtwood House or Cambridge Centre for Sixth Form studies , I know someone at the latter who is doing very well .

Talkinpeace Tue 22-Oct-13 12:46:04

Another mention for Peter Symonds .... at the open evening the head joked about their catchment being 8000 miles across because they are the standard 6th form for the Falklands
they also have a fair few forces and diplomatic service kids
www.psc.ac.uk/boarding/
applications are still open (just)

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 22-Oct-13 13:21:38

I was also going to suggest Cambridge Centre for Sixth Form studies (CCSS). I am ex-pupil pastoral care has always been strong there with good results too. Great halfway house between school and Uni. I arrived at Uni feeling really grounded and ready to go.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 22-Oct-13 13:23:05

Also meant to say it has always had a reputation of doing well with young adults who were more independent and individual.

MrsPnut Tue 22-Oct-13 13:24:53

Priory LSST is a school but there is only boarding in the 6th form. www.prioryacademies.co.uk/page/?title=Boarding&pid=12
It gets good results and is not far from the city centre.

Lemonsole Tue 22-Oct-13 19:02:43

Peter Symonds. I understand that boarding places are not always over-subscribed: contact them; you're in exactly the sort of situation that boarding places are there for.

WeightyKaty Tue 22-Oct-13 20:08:40

Oh and can I add d'overbroecks in Oxford. I went there to retake a levels and the teaching was excellent - I should have gone there for 6th form. I loved it and you could be very independent. They have small boarding houses and you can also rent with a landlady who cooks which I did. I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

juliandickgeorgeandann Sat 26-Oct-13 06:45:16

Thanks for all the advice, it's really appreciated. Seems as though exactly what I am looking for does exist!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now