CAT Testing

(9 Posts)
curlew Sat 26-Oct-13 09:16:04

Why do you want to do this? I'm sure it's possible- but what benefit would it be to you child? Not being snippy- just wondering.

eatyourveg Sat 26-Oct-13 09:12:27

In our primary (Kent) 117/118 was the cut off for the school to support going for the 11+

Alexandrite Wed 23-Oct-13 10:18:08

I didn't even know primary schools did CAT tests! (I have a dd in Y5.) I'd only heard of it in Y7

ReallyTired Tue 22-Oct-13 23:11:52

Why are you bothered? Surely primary school CATS tests in year 5 are not used to select children for schools. The idea of CATs tests is to pick out bright children who may be under achieving because of specific learning difficulites like dyslexia or EAL or long term illness.

Most secondary schools retest the children in year 7 and don't give a monkeys about the results of earlier tests like SATs or year 5 CATs. Children get moved up and down sets and I imagine that your daughter will be in the top sets.

Hard work is often the deciding factor in achievement rather than raw intelligence. A good secondary school will not hold back a high achieving child because they do badly in a CATs test. None of these tests are 100% reliable which is why schools use a mixture of primary school reports, SATs, CATs and their own assessments to decide sets. Even then sets are not set in stone.

PatPig Tue 22-Oct-13 17:14:32

118 is the top 12%. It's a good score.

ohnoimnot Tue 22-Oct-13 08:48:21

Dont read too much into CATs tests my son got 85 in year 5 and 140 in year 7.
118 is a good score and above average.

daphnedill Tue 22-Oct-13 00:09:24

I agree. An average CAT score of 118 is consistent with the levels she's working at.

LIZS Mon 21-Oct-13 10:38:41

118 is upper end of the average range iirc. What is your concern ? You might get a more thorough picture through an Ed Psych .

harvey101 Mon 21-Oct-13 10:35:37

Does anyone know where I can have my child independently CAT tested? She had just come out of hospital when they did the test and her result was 118 but she is working to level 5s at the end of year 5.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now