Results are out for the Herts. Consortium

(35 Posts)
Mummyoftheyear Fri 11-Oct-13 22:00:07

How's everyone done?

Mummyoftheyear Sat 02-Nov-13 23:06:38

Ooh how odd to pressure people by forcing them to opt out. No one wants to do that.

ShredMeJillianIWantToBeNatalie Sat 02-Nov-13 22:59:33

I must admit I felt a real pang of sadness when I saw ds waiting to go in for the Herts exam; he suddenly looked much younger than 10, clutching his little see-through pencil case and his chocolate biscuit snack. But at least with the Herts test it seemed to be consistent with what we had practised, and ultimately it was our choice to go through it. With Bucks you have to actively opt-out if you are a resident but wish not to take the 11+!

Mummyoftheyear Sat 02-Nov-13 22:39:25

True. Such a lot for them to go through. I remember sitting the exams myself ... 30 years later!

goldie81 Sat 02-Nov-13 21:57:04

In my opinion all of it far too much for a 10/11yr old to be doing.
My dd came out of herts exam & her class mate was I floods of tears, I said are you ok, she said yes but inthe middle I felt like crying because it's all just too much! Although she was in good spirits at the end.
It's just sad that some children can't cope well with it at all.

Mummyoftheyear Sat 02-Nov-13 21:48:01

Gosh, just looked at elevenplus website. It's really quite different! Scarily so! It's similar, apparently, to the Birmingham CEM ones:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schools/regions/birmingham-walsall-11-plus/test-paper-content
;(

Mummyoftheyear Sat 02-Nov-13 21:44:14

But even Herts. The VR is 100 questions in 45 mins. Maths is 50 questions in 50 mins.
Struggling with / spending too long on one tricky question without moving on and circling the number has more to do with technique, no?

ShredMeJillianIWantToBeNatalie Sat 02-Nov-13 19:30:13

Yes I think that's right (I mean everyone finding it hard) as the test (like Herts) is standardised. I can't swear to this as ds was a bit vague, but it was about 45 seconds per question, so it very much favoured children who were used to quick-fire problem solving and keeping their cool - if you got bogged down in one question you could easily miss the next few questions.

Ds looked a bit shell shocked when he came out, but I think it helped that he had sat the Herts test a few days before. If he had sat it after Bucks I think he would have felt less confident.

Mummyoftheyear Sat 02-Nov-13 16:06:42

How horrendous. Only consolations are that:
A) If your child found it hard, others will have, too (as you noted on the day). Horrible experience for them all. Seems so unfair! Do you know the new test's timings (per question)?
B) At least your second DC wouldn't have the pressure of passing the test attached to the whole experience. Just taking it.

ShredMeJillianIWantToBeNatalie Sat 02-Nov-13 10:35:58

The Bucks test changed this year (and no detail was given as to question types or past papers) so nobody really knew what to expect. Ds sat the preparation test on the Tuesday and it seemed very much as everyone had expected it to be. However the real test on Thursday was totally different, very high time pressure to complete the questions. When I picked him up there were quite a few tearful children coming out.

Ds said he missed a few questions but still did well so I can only imagine the test came as a total shock to many children used to the old format. The Bucks test is meant to have a pass rate of about 30% I think, though I've now heard of quite a few children who were expected to pass but didn't.

We have one Bucks school as our second choice, I was impressed by it but the journey would be less ideal than to Parmiters. Also if we got our second choice ds 2 would still have to sit the Bucks test next year.

Mummyoftheyear Sat 02-Nov-13 06:36:02

Is the Bucks. one worse?

ShredMeJillianIWantToBeNatalie Fri 01-Nov-13 18:29:56

Well my form has gone in. Ds also sat and passed the Bucks 11+ (which was horrible compared to the Herts one) so everything seems up in the air at the moment, but I'm glad at least that the decision our end is made.

goldie81 Thu 31-Oct-13 07:21:11

Yes so far- it's horrible waiting. Think other thing will be seeing all parents on allocation day! The bonus for the last few yrs has been knowing the scores of the test before applying then at least we can make sensible choices!!

It's a horrible 4 months wait, I remember it so well from last year. DD1 got about 10 marks over the cut off for the previous years, so we thought she'd get a place but the not knowing did my head in. Even worse is allocation day itself;it's the longest day ever

goldie81 Thu 31-Oct-13 06:58:20

Yes thanks read on elevenplus - read it lots of times & seems that hopefully this is the case, however I won't feel happy till I have it in black & white!!
I'm hoping that our schools are high enough that a slight inflation in scores will still allow them a place! I know of 6 others that scored over 152 & they will not be taking up academic places as they are siblings, wanting other schools etc. That teamed with the fact that it's standardised means that we should be ok??!!

ShredMeJillianIWantToBeNatalie Wed 30-Oct-13 23:44:01

PS Parmiters is the only school we qualify for in catchment within the Consortium so it's that or bust.

ShredMeJillianIWantToBeNatalie Wed 30-Oct-13 23:41:54

Goldie81 there is lots of discussion of the standardisation process on the elevenplusexams forum, I don't know if you've seen it too? But the point seems to be that it's not a coincidence that the cut off scores are reasonably consistent year on year (albeit they are slowly going up it seems) because the point of the exercise is to identify a set proportion of children who qualify. Therefore it shouldn't matter if the exam is easier or harder in a particular year, and the scores required shouldn't vary wildly year on year.

I think the highest score required I've seen is 250 (2010 I think?) - but even then it dropped after the initial allocation round in March. The last few years it's been consistent at 246-7.

Just hoping that all ds's hard work will have paid off, he totally loved the school when we looked round (during the school day, which was lovely) and now totally has his heart set on it. We have put our form in and told him there's nothing more we can do for now, just wait it out.

goldie81 Wed 30-Oct-13 22:30:47

By the way shredme- we know several children who have been there/are there- all very lovely!!!

goldie81 Wed 30-Oct-13 22:29:46

Well done shredme- what a nightmare this school thing is.
So what were your thoughts on standardisation? I've put parmiters 1st choice & any other yr def would have got a place but now I keep hearing highs scores so slightly concerned!!
Thanks mummy for the message!!
Aaahhhh why is March so far away?!

Mummyoftheyear Wed 30-Oct-13 22:14:07

Ooh. I'll message Goldie. She's down for it this year.

ShredMeJillianIWantToBeNatalie Tue 29-Oct-13 22:29:11

Just found this thread :-)

We are hoping for Parmiters, ds scored quite a bit over the last few years cut off scores but obviously there are no guarantees. I've been googling the effects of standardisation and driving myself mental in the process. We really liked the school when we looked round, the children were friendly and polite, the Head seemed to know his stuff. Unfortunately we don't know many children currently there, so not much first hand experience to go on.

March seems a very, very long way away. ...... Good luck everyone.

goldie81 Wed 16-Oct-13 23:28:33

What will be will be now. Just wish last yrs scores applied!! Dreading them going up by too much!
Glad your dd enjoying it! Seems like most secondary schools have a bit of travel to.

I remember this time of year last year very well. The stress dies down for a bit , then rears its ugly head again towards the end of february. Allocation day is a killer.
If it helps, my DD is having a wonderful time at WGSG now she's got over the shock of secondary school.
She has a 45 minute journey each way but it seems worth it at this point in time.

goldie81 Wed 16-Oct-13 22:07:14

Well I've just put all forms in!! In order of pref- parmiters, wat girls, queens & meads! So stressful!!!

Mummyoftheyear Wed 16-Oct-13 16:46:10

SW Herts

What schools are you looking at?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now