Feeling very thick with p4 homework

(13 Posts)
Jaynebxl Sun 13-Oct-13 11:45:21

Yes and of course often phonemes are written differently in different languages but that's a whole other thread!

sashh Sun 13-Oct-13 09:14:47

Thanks Jayne it does make sense to start with it.

YBD

It makes even more sense to use phonemes with a bilingual school, all languages have them (well there is a debate in sign languages that I won't go in to).

My Irish is limited to asking someone to kiss part of my anatomy and a few names (I went to a school run by the Sisters of Mercy) but if you take a name such as Siobhan the first phoneme, the sound is represented in Irish by 's' but in standard English is normally an 's' combined with an 'h', the sound is the same but represented by different letters.

Jaynebxl Sat 12-Oct-13 06:23:24

Sash they teach phonemes from reception, but of course not in the depth you did at uni! They start learning the main 44 phonemes in English and how to spell them as part of their phonics learning. For example they will spend some time finding different ways to spell the phoneme "eye" such as -igh, -y, i-e ...

YoureBeingADick Fri 11-Oct-13 16:55:45

I am actually in NI but ds attends an irish medium primary school. This is the first year he is being taught english. I was talking with a friend this afternoon who has irish also and we were trying to work out the phonemes for some irish words- it turned out to be a bit difficult (as you are clearly aware- i am no expert grin)

sashh Fri 11-Oct-13 15:17:05

A Phoneme is the smallest part of speech, all speech is made up of phonemes, they are put together to make meaningful sounds.

They are not single letter sounds, although they can be so c-a-t is three letters and 3 phonemes, cash is 4 letters and 3 phonemes.

You mentioned P4 so I'll assume you are in Scotland, you thus have at least one phoneme not common to English speakers south of the boarder, the ch at the end of Loch.

I would pronounce Lock and Loch the same way because of my accent, as for quaich, I won't even attempt it.

Linguists often use a scripted form to copy what someone is saying, ie how they are pronouncing a word, rather than the spelling and meaning, so Bath in a southern English and Northern English accent will be, linguistically distinguished, usually using IPA which you might see in some dictionaries.

I'm mightily impressed this is being taught at primary because I didn't learn until uni, and found it fascinating.

YoureBeingADick Fri 11-Oct-13 09:32:32

I went over it with him this morning and he redid his homework. I think he gets it now. Well at least he gets it as much as i get it so i hope that ive got it right. Thank you.

Jaynebxl Fri 11-Oct-13 05:03:38

Oh shame! Definitely not syllables. Hope he gets it now.

YoureBeingADick Thu 10-Oct-13 23:01:16

Thank you- his homework is wrong then.

Jaynebxl Thu 10-Oct-13 23:00:56

And so does shack but sigh only has two.

Jaynebxl Thu 10-Oct-13 23:00:15

Yes

YoureBeingADick Thu 10-Oct-13 22:59:15

Ok so pass has 3 phonemes?

nilbyname Thu 10-Oct-13 22:57:33

It's a single letter sound, like c. As in sounding out c-a-t

YoureBeingADick Thu 10-Oct-13 22:55:41

What is a phonemes? Ds described what he thought it was but what he described was syllables. So there was a part of his homework i dont know whether is done right or not. Very worried about how im going to be no use to him if i cant undertand 8 year old homework.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now