(11 Posts)
MrsShortfuse Fri 20-Sep-13 15:53:20

I'd like to know if any of these are seen as 'soft options'

Economics
Government and Politics
Classical Civilisation

Thanks.

titchy Fri 20-Sep-13 17:03:23

Economics and classical civilisations fine, gov and pol fine as a third choice (in between 'hard' and 'soft'). Google 'trinity college Cambridge a level' for what they consider soft.

RG informed choices booklet also lists facilitating subjects, which are those subjects you need to have done at a level if you intend to do a degree in them.

BlackMogul Fri 20-Sep-13 17:44:16

Just depends what OP's DC wants to do after A levels. Definitely look to see what courses require. So called soft options are ok for some courses but not others. Govt andPol definitely not a soft option but not the most sought after either because it is considered to be an acompanying subject, usually with History. However if DC is wanting economics degree, then not doing maths is the big issue as this will really limit choices. Also, govt and politics good for History degree, as is classical civilisation, but DC is not doing History A level. What are these A levels meant to be leading to, soft or otherwise?

MrsShortfuse Fri 20-Sep-13 20:24:31

Thanks for the comments - will look at that website.

The definites so far for A levels are Maths and History so it's a question of 3 & 4. He has no idea what he wants to do either at university or for a job, so we are just focusing on what he likes, or likes the sound of when they're non-GCSE subjects.

I think the most likely degree would be History.

titchy Fri 20-Sep-13 20:32:45

With maths and history I'd say economics plus either of the others would be a great combination leaving lots of doors open!

creamteas Sun 22-Sep-13 12:30:42

If he is taking Maths and History then it doesn't matter what the the other two are, obviously except of they are specified as needed

Top universities like applicants to have studied two facilitating subjects, but are usually only bothered about the grade of the third and fourth.

So if he is not sure what he wants to do at uni, then he should do the ones that interest him the most.

missbopeep Sun 22-Sep-13 14:17:10

Its really really important to try to look ahead and not rule out some degrees down to doing the wrong A levels.

Of your list, I'd only plump for economics - the other 2- not so hot.

BlackberrySeason Mon 23-Sep-13 11:16:39

I would think the best combination would be maths, history and economics. Class civ used to be seen as a soft option. Politics is not as respected as economics IMHO. I would suggest he be guided by what he enjoys and is good at and fits well with his likely future degree - check what the Russell group unis and Oxbridge like if he has any thoughts if going there.

lljkk Mon 23-Sep-13 18:44:33

Does he have a gut feeling about which one he'll enjoy most, which has best teacher, perhaps?
I think A in Class Civ would be better than a D in economics, and economics can be pretty dull (I speak from experience).

missbopeep Mon 23-Sep-13 19:13:43

some people find economics really enjoyable! I don't think it's wise to advise anyone's child on the basis of what you liked or didn't.

BlueShirtBlueTie Tue 24-Sep-13 11:17:50

Of your list, I'd only plump for economics - the other 2- not so hot.

Classical Civilisation is considered to be a respected A Level by top universities. Even government and politics is considered to be acceptable as a third or fourth A Level choice by top universities as long as it's accompanied by other respected choices. So Classical Civilisation, Economics and Government and Politics would be a good choice of subjects, depending of course on what you wanted to do after.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now