Please explain UMS points

(10 Posts)
titchy Tue 10-Sep-13 18:05:39

No they're not UCAS points, GCSE points are used mainly in league tables.

BeckAndCall Tue 10-Sep-13 17:33:12

I don't think they have UCAS points titchy? I was just saying UMS in one subject is no better or worse than in another for any comparison is it? - whether that's league table or UCAS points for A levels. I'm not sure what you think I meant, but I wasn't disagreeing with you!

poppydoppy Tue 10-Sep-13 17:02:23

I am afraid to say that I don`t understand UCAS points either

titchy Tue 10-Sep-13 16:13:46

GCSEs have points too beckandcall - they go onto league table data.

BeckAndCall Tue 10-Sep-13 15:54:59

poppy I wonder if you are confusing UMS scores with UCAS points?

Either way, the answer would be the same - no subject counts for more points than another, just taking numbers into account.

titchy Tue 10-Sep-13 15:36:50

All GCSEs are deemed equivalent in terms of level and points. Whether people regard an A in cookery as being the same as an A in Maths however....

titchy Tue 10-Sep-13 15:35:31

As I understand it a UMS of 90% is always an A*. What the raw score is before it is weighted to produce the UMS changes from one paper to the next.

poppydoppy Tue 10-Sep-13 11:13:43

Thank you. I was inquiring about GCSE level. DS sat Science AQA in June I was wondering if his A* converted to UMS points. Also do the more academic subjects such as History carry more points than cookery for example?

BeckAndCall Tue 10-Sep-13 10:38:16

For what level - GCSE, AS or A2?

For AS and A2, the marks for each paper are given in UMS and then added up to give a total. This differs from the raw score ie 60/70 on a paper, as it is then converted by a mark scheme to the UMS applicable - which is affected by the denominator value of the paper ( eg paper 1 might be worth 60/300 UMS but paper two maybe 120/300 in weighting. Either or neither paper may be marked out of 100, or 70 or whatever)

So if you get 90% on a paper you can't know in advance how many UMS that is - it might be 100 or it might be 80 say. One thing you do know on AS and A2 papers is that if its within a certain band of UMS you've got that grade ( eg 80 +UMS equals an A). That doesn't hold at GCSE I don't think.

I'm not sure that helps. I bet by the time I've posted this someone has added a link.......

poppydoppy Tue 10-Sep-13 10:30:18

To a novice, Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now