Over 6 hours of sport

(100 Posts)
poppydoppy Sun 08-Sep-13 11:15:37

A week at prep school.....too much? What do you think? Academic lessons are 45 mins.

rabbitstew Sun 08-Sep-13 16:12:59

It would certainly be ds1's worst nightmare, but then he has a connective tissue disorder, so that much serious, compulsory sport in a week could actually be quite harmful. What does the school do for children for whom some sports could be dangerous? Make them sit it out, or provide a choice of appropriate sports during the 6-hours of compulsory sport time??? Ds1, for example, would be medically advised never to get anywhere near a rugby pitch, unless he wants to break his hypermobile little neck!

poppydoppy Sun 08-Sep-13 16:28:42

Its probably more than 6 hours as on a weds the whole afternoon is dedicated to matches. Its very annoying, thank goodness this is the last year in the school.

RussiansOnTheSpree Sun 08-Sep-13 16:30:55

But why on earth are you paying for this?

poppydoppy Sun 08-Sep-13 16:31:05

Russians we are a very sporty family, all my children swim before school and have numerous clubs after school. Im just peeved my child is now learning less than last year in his most important year.

poppydoppy Sun 08-Sep-13 16:33:01

I cant move schools now he is in his last year with all the entrance tests coming up in Jan.

Pagwatch Sun 08-Sep-13 16:33:29

Loads of sport was one of the things I actively looked for when chosing schools. My dc function better when they are physical often. Very active children.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 08-Sep-13 16:44:58

Russians you have to break it down DD does 7.5 hours of PE and dance, this includes training for sports matches and the matches. 3.5 hours of this are after 4pm each week.
They then have 3 hours of music and drama per week. All of this is 25.5 hours of lessons per week.

RussiansOnTheSpree Sun 08-Sep-13 16:45:08

Pagwatch My DD2 (also about to go into Y6) has just spent 4 hours rehearsing for a show she is in (dancing mainly). She does this every Sunday. She also has 4 hours of dancing a week and 2 hours of quite physical drama. And she swims at least once a week (she's a Good Swimmer - gone right through the ASA award scheme). Plus the usual school PE. I don't think anyone would describe her as 'inactive'. But if she was doing >6 hours of school PE a week after school then she wouldn't be able to do drama, dancing, or learn the 3 musical instruments she learns. 6 hours of 'school' PE conducted effectively after school (it might happen before 3pm but if school ends at 5 as a consequence that's effectively enforced after school sport. It's not going to produce rounded kids, is it. No time for anything outside academic work except sport).

Obviously different kids like different things and different families place importance on different activities, but the OP sounds annoyed and yet she is the customer. I'd be complaining. If I was her.

RussiansOnTheSpree Sun 08-Sep-13 16:49:09

Lonecat 7.5 hours of sport and 3 hours of music and drama? And you're paying? That's shocking. sad

Pagwatch Sun 08-Sep-13 16:52:36

confused

Ok.
Dd does 10 hours of swimming (regional competive squad) 6 hours of gym (national squad) 5 hours of dance/musical theatre/jazz/singing/acting
2 hours of ballet 2 hours of electric guitar practice.

I'm not sure that helps the op though.

I was just answering her question. I didn't know I was telling her what to do or if she should complain.

RussiansOnTheSpree Sun 08-Sep-13 16:57:56

Pag I was just responding to your 'very active' comment to demonstrate that you can be an active child without sacrificing either your academic education or participation in the arts to spend way too much time on school sport.

I'm sure your DD is better in every possible respect than my DD. It doesn't change the fact that I personally think that you don't have to do >6 hours of school sport a week to be active, and that I personally would not want to pay for that instead of a proper education which presumably what the OP originally thought she was getting.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 08-Sep-13 16:59:46

It's what I was looking for she also plays two instruments and is academically excelling. No other school in my area could offer this it was what I was looking for.
We all want something different it is what I want not what you want. As a full time irking parent one of the things that benefits me is that it all happens in one place.
If you are happy with your choice and I am happy with mine that's great.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 08-Sep-13 17:01:44

I am a working parent not irking. Damn iPad auto correct.

bigTillyMint Sun 08-Sep-13 17:02:04

Gosh Pag, how do you fit all that in? Is some done in school hours?

valiumredhead Sun 08-Sep-13 17:02:46

Surely a 'proper education' includes activity? 6 hours over a week is only just over an hour a day which is what is recommended for everyone.

bigTillyMint Sun 08-Sep-13 17:03:37

Oh and I meant to say, that 6+ hours of sport would be my DC's idea of heaven! Particularly (in DS's case) if it meant less time for the boring subjectsgrin

Pagwatch Sun 08-Sep-13 17:17:38

Russians

My DD is a lovely little twerp but no better than anyone else except possibly at baking grin

I was just baffled that you launched a huge list at me when I had just rolled on to the thread to reply to the op. Your tone appeared combative and my response of a list was just to illustrate that it didn't appear especially relevant to me.
I was probably being a bit mocking and I shouldn't have. I apologise.

If the op isn't happy she should complain.

Pagwatch Sun 08-Sep-13 17:22:52

Big Tilly

It's all after school although some are over seen at school iyswim.
It's hectic because of the amount of swimming. She took it up to combat her asthma and now loves it.
She has gone from 6 hours to 10 for swimming. It may be she has to drop something but she wants to try. I do get snarky comments from other parents but I work with the school and her coached and she manages it. When she can't, she'll stop.

She would watch tv til her eyeballs fell out but during term time she does activities instead - does no tv or electronic, fitting in homework and stuff on Sunday and mornings. She gets up at 6 everyday to get stuff done.

She's like the opposite of me. grin

bigTillyMint Sun 08-Sep-13 17:24:54

She is amazing!smile

wordfactory Sun 08-Sep-13 17:30:01

DC always did tons of sport at prep school.

Probably an hour a day and more on match days.

For the minority this didn't appeal, but the majority benefited hugely. And it was certainly not to the detriment of music/art/drama etc And certainly not to the detriment of academic standards.

The days were longer and a lot was packed into them. All good.

trinity0097 Sun 08-Sep-13 17:33:11

Where I work there is no overlap between sport and music or academics, all have their own protected time, so you can be in the Chapel Choir and play in the first team rugby with no conflict for example. The longer school day helps. Many of the children who got music scholarships last year excelled at sport at our school too.

wordfactory Sun 08-Sep-13 17:38:06

That was certainly the case at DC's prep school trinity.

The only time there was ever a problem was the occasional weekend double booking.

rabbitstew Sun 08-Sep-13 18:09:02

All that activity sounds wonderful for children who don't like time alone with their own thoughts.

valiumredhead Sun 08-Sep-13 18:15:51

You can still enjoy time alone with your own thoughts and be active. It's not one or the otherconfused

Pagwatch Sun 08-Sep-13 18:17:56

That's kind BigTilly smile

But I honestly think some people/children are just like that - they need the activity or they get twitchy. DS1 is the same - he gets miserable outside the rugby season and took up running to get him through. DH gets up on a Sunday morning and writes a list of jobs confused
Me and DS2 and the wandering around and stopping for a cafe people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now