Can someone enlighten me about mathletics?

(12 Posts)
MrsFogi Fri 06-Sep-13 21:24:43

So dd2 has a subscription with school - I have logged her in. What are we supposed to do not - is there a way to set the level or will the site work out dd's level? Also any tips on where to start and how to get the most out of the site would be most welcome as there seems to be so much there that I don't know where to start (and if I leave dd to her own devices she will spend the entire time changing features on her avatar).

MrsFogi Fri 06-Sep-13 21:26:41

The title should of course be mathletics - when did mn introduce autocorrect [indignant face]? For the avoidance of doubt I do not wish to be enlightened about athletics, not my thing at all grin!

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 06-Sep-13 21:35:02

We have amended your title so now you can talk about Mo' fractions and not Mo farah grin

merrymonsters Fri 06-Sep-13 21:37:47

I believe that the levels are set by the class teacher so not all children in the class will be on the same levels. The teachers can also see how much they've used it.

They get a bronze certificate after 1000 points in a week.

fruitpastille Fri 06-Sep-13 21:50:28

The teacher may use it to set a specific task to do or they might use it at school sometimes. They can set different tasks for individuals or groups. You have to get 1000 points within the week to get bronze or more points for silver and gold. My school reads out names or gives out certificates at the weekly well done assembly. Some kids love it but my ds is also more interested in his avatar smile Do you know what level your child is working at in maths? Or what they are doing in school this week? I would start there. Ask the teacher if you are not sure.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 07-Sep-13 08:15:36

The levels are normal set by the teacher on the activities, though within mathletics live they have a range of levels, but more points (to change more stuff on avatar) available for tackling harder levels.
I say DD has to do actual maths for a certain amount of time or points before she can play.
They gain points faster from activities than mathletics live.
Sometimes the teacher sets specific tasks nothing else can be one till these are completed.

amistillsexy Sat 07-Sep-13 08:24:23

I have a slight hmm problem in that I have 3 children, who each have 3 website to visit and do homework on. I don't like giving up my MNetting important computering time, so I don't like them using my laptop, leaving only my nasty Windows 8 mistake buy for the kids to use.

So, one device, 3 kids...how long do they have to spend on Math-bloody-letics before they reach the pinnacle of bronze? Will I have to have a rota so they can all get their homework done?

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 07-Sep-13 08:29:25

Mathletics recommend 1 hour per week, but split into several sessions. So maybe 15 mins each at a time four time a week.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 07-Sep-13 08:30:42

1 hour a week should easily get a certificate each week, DD got one in 15 mins the other day. She has been using it a while and is aware of the tactical tasks to do when parents says you need to get X number of points.

fruitpastille Sat 07-Sep-13 10:37:45

My ds takes a while to get 1000 points but more due to slow mouse use than slow maths skills. I would rather he did something more active tbh. Plus he has to use my work laptop or be largely unsupervised on ancient pc in our attic. My samsung tablet won't work as I can't get flash. It doesn't seem to hold him back at school.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 07-Sep-13 11:46:09

The secret with tablets is to load puffin browser then mathletics works perfectly. There is also an app that does most of mathletics.

shank2 Sat 07-Sep-13 12:46:53

You can do about 80%of Mathletics using an i pad - if not download puffin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now