ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

TEFL

(8 Posts)
Yonihadtoask Sun 18-Aug-13 10:29:44

Has anyone done this course?

I plan/hope to move to France once DC are older and DH is 'retired' - and have been trying to think of what I/we can do once over there

I had heard of TEFL courses, and thought it may be worth it, if nothing else to refresh/relearn my English Grammar, and learn how to lesson plan etc.

Acinonyx Sun 18-Aug-13 15:39:58

I did the RSA Prep Cert TEFL a long time ago and have used it on and off over the years - teaching abroad then teaching in the UK. It's very handy if you need to work overseas. Do a 'proper' course though with a proper cert - there are a of of variations. Competition is a bit tougher in mainstream Europe vs further flung corners so do the best course you can and you can get a better job. If jobs are thin where you go there's always private tuition which you get more for if you have the cert.

Yonihadtoask Sun 18-Aug-13 16:49:20

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I will research well before forking out.

Am in no huge rush. It is something I think may be useful though.

elQuintoConyo Sun 18-Aug-13 19:24:23

There are two certificates that take a month - a very thorough and completely full-on month (ie no pissing about) - that are tecognised worldwide:
Trinity TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language)
and
Cambridge CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults).
They're both official and cover the same things. I did a celta 15 years ago and have been teaching ever since: adults, early teens, exams, business, academies, private, in universities, a whole load of people.
You can also do an extra certificate to teach children, if that's more your bag.
The course I did was about a grand in UK, very intense, excellent quality: tutors, input, focus, about 15 contact hours with students, I think.
You can also do courdes over the internet, at adult education centre, courses over 12 weeks, there's a lot of variety.
It's not the best-paid job, (unless totaly private, ie you teach neughbour's kid, the butcher etc), but very rewarding, creative and fun, I've met some great people - including DH grin

Yonihadtoask Sun 18-Aug-13 23:51:47

Thank you elquinto

Gatita1980 Mon 19-Aug-13 18:53:49

I did the CELTA whilst at uni in 2001 and now I am a Secondary school MFL Teacher, and whilst my PGCE wouldn't be valid in France I could use the CELTA. It cost me £1,100 in 2001 and that was at International House in Piccadilly, London.

Yonihadtoask Mon 19-Aug-13 19:54:46

Thanks Gatita1980

Yes, I had a look around at some courses, and it does seem that the prices are about that, even years later. There are 4 week course - Mon- Fri at a town fairly local to me.

Am concentrating on getting the French up to scratch first. But definitely would like to get either the CELTA or the TEFL qualification to add another string to my bow.

papooser Wed 28-Aug-13 11:05:54

I also did the course back in 1998 at International House - definitely worth paying to do it at a reputable place. It was very intensive but great fun.
Worth pointing out that hours can be a pain - some schools ask teachers to do double shifts (ie a morning lesson then a break then lessons again in the evening). In Italy I used to regularly work up til 10pm. (One of the reasons I gave up teaching although still work in industry but on the publishing side).

Still, would definitely recommend doing it, especially if you are moving abroad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now