Preparing for Superselective

(26 Posts)
Thesouthernwindisblowing Sat 17-Aug-13 15:38:29

Hi
Dd is about to start Y5 at a very poor Primary school and I want her to try for superselective as alternatives are pretty poor.

I have been looking at Schofield and Sims Mental arithmetic books but am unsure of which one we should be working on.

Any suggestions of which would be good at this stage and how they correlate to levels?
Thanks

Oh and what sort of things should she be doing to prepare for verbal reasoning. The exam is prepared by GL - would Bond books be okay?

WhoreOfTheWorlds Fri 30-Aug-13 20:32:35

WetGrass, yes there's technique involved. DD is a strong reader and finished Yr 4 already on a level 5C for reading.

However, some of the words she's come across in the VR tests supplied by her tutor like 'ebb' and 'censure' she didn't have a clue what they meant? I don't know many 10 year olds who would (or a lot of adults, either).

But, her tutor has taught her little tricks and techniques on how to figure out her best guess if she doesn't know the actual word. And, then there's all the word codes and sequential patterns, which again he has taught her tricks to decipher.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now