ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

academic ability for eton

(123 Posts)
drkag Fri 09-Aug-13 12:54:36

HI,

My son, who is only 6 currently, has decided that he wants to go to eton. Combination of reading young james bond and a friend's father. He is at a local prep school in SHeffield but we are by no means financially at the level of Eton. I am also wondering about the academic standards. He is bright, currently reading age 11+ and on a recent assessment by ed psych, due to problems at previous school, his IQ was recoreded as 158. I saw on here a sugegstion fo doing some bond assessment appers and for his age he finds these very easy.

I don;t want him getting his hopes up, do you think he would stand a reasonable chance of getting in. He also loves sport, and is on the LTA tennis performance program as well as playing rugby and cricket plus learning the trumpet so he is a good all rounder.

Thanks in advance

MrsSalvoMontalbano Sun 11-Aug-13 19:41:04

curlew not sure why you make that statement? We know lots of old Etonians, as well as numerous other people, and the school per se is irrelevant... People are all different and you cannot categorise simply by school...

MrsSalvoMontalbano Sun 11-Aug-13 19:43:50

Our view was that DS1 would have been okay at Eton, DS2 would have thrived. But we did not want DS2 to board, so we did not apply . He is very happy at his London day school, and we get to see him every day grin Both boys have friend who did go to Eton, most were happy, one decided to come back to a London day school as he missed his mates family

Talkinpeace Sun 11-Aug-13 19:49:27

LOL
the thread asked about academic ability
but academic ability is not defined by genitalia
how long till the case goes through the charity commission?
then again, DD would look daft in a topper

To be serious though, Eton's academic credentials are being affected by its prestige .... not their fault but the pressure to get in for the children of the "world's elite" is such ....

People at my crammer who'd gone there seemed to be pretty darned bright

peteneras Sun 11-Aug-13 21:27:10

". . . the air of effortless superiority that Etonians all appear to have which means they can only mix with other Etonians for fear of being strangled".

Really? Are you talking about the Victorian times or perhaps the 1940's/1950's?

My DS has just returned from Spain last week having spent appx. 2 weeks there travelling/hiking/eating/sleeping, etc. with a group of his medic friends - all state schools - from Barcelona - -> Valencia - -> Granada - -> Seville where they finally took a flight back to the UK. No problems there mixing with non Etonians. They’re already talking about similar trips next year in another country.

Talkinpeace Sun 11-Aug-13 21:31:12

yeah but they are a gang of undergrad medics - the scariest species on the planet grin

peteneras Sun 11-Aug-13 21:39:17

Don't worry, they're not about to operate on you or anyone else for that matter. Not until they're fully qualified and competent! grin

curlew Sun 11-Aug-13 21:44:00

<baffled emoticon>

curlew Sun 11-Aug-13 21:46:29

But a serious round of applause for paternas's ds- the only Etonian in recorded history whose friends all come from state schools........

BoundandRebound Sun 11-Aug-13 21:47:16

Lol at talkinpeace, you've got that right, med students argh

SunnyIntervals Sun 11-Aug-13 21:53:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SunnyIntervals Sun 11-Aug-13 21:54:48

IndridCold Sun 11-Aug-13 22:40:31

Wow! I'm seriously impressed that curlew knows the full details of the friendships of every single OE in recorded history...

curlew Mon 12-Aug-13 08:48:08

Indrid- I think I am pretty safe in saying that there must be vanishingly few(read no) OEs whose friends are all state school educated!

SunnyIntervals Mon 12-Aug-13 09:09:53

GooseyLoosey Mon 12-Aug-13 09:30:45

I have little experience, but ds (at a local prep school) was recently advised by a very experienced teacher to consider Eton.

Ds has an IQ similar to your son's, but I think what prompted the suggestion was his personality.

He always has an opinion - usually a slightly off the wall one. He is outgoing and always wants to be heard. He dominates group discussions (which we and he accept is a problem). He has an endless thirst for knowledge and always wants to take everything further and explore the possibilities of each piece of knowledge he acquires. He challenges his teachers' perceptions of things all the time. He never follows the crowd but is happy in his own skin and prepared to go his own way when it deviates from what his peers want to do.

We did explore the possibility and talked to Eton. They were very positive about ds. However, we decided not to go ahead for a number of reasons.

IndridCold Mon 12-Aug-13 09:42:34

curlew - at no point does peteneras claim that all his DS's friends are state school educated, just the ones from med school with whom he has gone on holiday.

titchy Mon 12-Aug-13 09:56:56

Anyone else chuckling inwardly at Pete having forked out probably the best part of £1/4m to have his ds mixing with state educated dcs all doing exactly the same but whose parents are £250k better off? No, just me then....

curlew Mon 12-Aug-13 10:24:25

Nope. Me too.

drkag Mon 12-Aug-13 10:27:36

wow, what a can of worms. gooseyLossey our sons sound very similar. i am not really comfortable with the diea of boarding but am prepared to keep my options open.

With regards ot the poster who stated it was me driving the decision, no not at all. As mentioned the IQ test was done by an ed psych when he was having problems at school with behaviour and telling the teachers he was bored. I didn't post on here for people to criticise me merely for advice.

DoItTooJulia Mon 12-Aug-13 10:38:02

I'm never sure why people who hold certain things with disdain open threads about those very things? And then comment, effectively pissing on the parade.

If your ds is clever enough and you have the inclination to help him get there, good on you!

JourneyThroughLife Mon 12-Aug-13 10:45:34

Only just found this thread, but I can assure you it isn't too early to start thinking about Eton. If that's where your son wants to go, there's nothing wrong in that. Look into it, gather information, explain to him what's involved, especially academic ability, encourage him but don't push him (Eton is not interested in pushy parents) and make him aware of other options if Eton doesn't work out.
I do know something about Eton. Boys get in due to academic ability, nothing to do with social class or the money their parents can throw around. There is an exam plus a series of interviews. Boys who will suit Eton are not only academically able but have a certain independance and level of maturity, it just shows as they talk. If a boy is extremely able he can also take the Kings Scholar exam; if he passes, everything is paid and he will enter 'College' - but there are only about 14 places per year. However, if he is suitable for Eton and parents do not have much money, it is possible for him to gain other scholarships and fees help...there are boys from all walks of life at Eton, from single parent families, from financially poor backgrounds, even from overseas refugee camps.... They are united in a love of learning and curiosity about the world, they do not spend their time discussing what their parents do or don't do for a living, it's irrelevent to them, whatever the media may have you believe.
Boarding is not a negative experience, it's only bad if the child doesn't want to go and is forced. If your son loves the idea of being with his friends and having lots of activities available and mates to do them with, boarding will be fine and no, it won't 'change' your relationship with your son at all. On the plus side, Eton is the only school where boys have their own study bedroom right from the start, it means they have private space to do their homework and stuff in, or a room where they can invite all their mates in whenever they like, which is brilliant.
Why not bring your son on a visit and let him look round? It commits you to nothing and gives you and him the chance to know what you're really talking about...

drkag Mon 12-Aug-13 11:02:38

Thanyou jouneythrough life, a really useful post, unlike some!!. Yes I think I will definitely take him to visit. Are there open days or should it be arranged specially. He is so excited by the prospect of boarding. I need ot get my head around it but equally I imagine by the time children are thirtenn they are pretty independant and the realtionship is very different as to that of a six year old. There is a school 30 mins form us that had a rputation fo sending boys to ETon, ti is baording or day. He is so happy where he is now but if he passed the test at 11 I may look at him going there as a day pupil from 11-13.

SunnyIntervals Mon 12-Aug-13 11:03:38

IndridCold Mon 12-Aug-13 12:59:15

drkag you should contact the Admissions Office regarding visits, there are many which take place throughout the year.

You might also want to think about visiting Eton to see it at play. They have their Action Day sometime in September, which anyone can visit. The boys organise lots of activities to raise money for charity, and it might be fun if you can get down to it; I don't know the date offhand, but it will be on the Eton website.

Regarding moving school at 11-13, once he has passed the test there shouldn't really be a need if he is happy where he is and you are confident that the school can handle Common Entrance. As far as Eton is concerned their own test is the crucial factor and he will then only have to pass CE.

My son went to an good, but non-selective prep school in Devon, he had no extra tutoring and he got in.

curlew Mon 12-Aug-13 13:07:09

Honestly, please go gently. He's only 6.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now