Do you need Latin GCSE to study Physiotherapy?

(32 Posts)
Gilbertus Mon 05-Aug-13 20:16:12

As dd1 wants to do this but has been put in the Classics group rather than the Latin group. She hates Latin grin but would take it up if she had to. I've googled it and am none the wiser.

teacherandguideleader Wed 07-Aug-13 22:45:27

No you definitely don't need it.

However, part of my degree is physiology and I studied Latin. I did find it easier to learn some technical terms as I understood where it had come from, but I would have got by without Latin.

fuzzle Sun 11-Aug-13 21:58:59

absolutely not - I knew billions of physios at uni. none of them studied latin. tell your daughter to do well in biology and also get loads of work experience/shadowing tho.

ravenAK Sun 11-Aug-13 22:03:05

I teach Latin GCSE at a state comp.

I'd love to sell it to you (although our course is over-subscribed) as a generally fab thing to do, but I honestly cannot think of any career whatsoever you'd be unable to do without Latin GCSE.

One of our babysitters is an unnervingly clever young medical student, who's borrowed some books from me to teach herself GCSE Latin, but it's not actually a requirement!

No. You don't need to know Latin to memorise a whole load of bones.

Work experience and good a levels in biology, maths or chemistry, maybe sports science.

It's a really competitive field now.

The ability to use google (so you can find this sort of information out) is a useful but not a CV skill.

Gilbertus Mon 12-Aug-13 08:38:07

If that's sarcasm - if you bother to read my posts I did say that I had googled and it was unclear.

I have actually contacted the school and they have confirmed unnecessary. Both her aunts are physios (both with latin o level!) so work experience won't be an issue. Thanks all.

Reading it back it sounds a lot sharper than I meant. My apologises blush, sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now