Since when have open toed sandals been a H&S issue?

(85 Posts)

I went everywhere on Saturday to buy my dd some open toed sandals as her shoes are too small and, espceially in this hot weather, I wanted her to have some cooling footwear. I suppose the lack of many school type sandals should have told me something, but I merely assumed everyone else had beaten me to it.

Then today, dd, who is normally so bubbly and full of life, came out of school looking dejected. Apparently school friends have been horrid and shouting at her today as she was wearing the "wrong" shoe.

A talk with the teacher revealed that open toed sandals are banned as a H&S issue - apparently, toes might get trodden on! With all the diplomacy and maturity that I do not possess, I told the teacher I thought that was nonsense. I still do. She said that it was pretty much a universal rule in schools these days. Well, all I can say is, it wasn't when I was a teacher.

Since getting home I have looked up the school prospectus, and, in fairness to them, it does say no open toed or open heeled shoes to be worn (dd's are both!) but can I really be expected to remember that when I read the prospectus 16 months ago?

Anyway, I have told the teacher that dd will be wearing the offending articles for the remainder of term as I can't take them back to the shop now and I can't afford to buy her another pair of shoes.

What does everyone else think about the banning of open toed sandals? How many people who grew up like me in the 70s remember toes being crushed in the playground as a result of open toed sandals being worn? Isn't it a health issue to allow feel to breathe as much as possible in this hot weather? I couldn't help but notice that the teacher I spoke to was herself wearing open toed sandals, a was I and every other woman I saw in the playground!

VenusRising Fri 30-Aug-13 10:12:57

Oh god, was this a zombie!!

Where do they come from?

VenusRising Fri 30-Aug-13 10:11:43

"Then today, dd, who is normally so bubbly and full of life, came out of school looking dejected. Apparently school friends have been horrid and shouting at her today as she was wearing the "wrong" shoe"

This is the only sentence that has me worried dumbledoresgirl.

Bullying must not be allowed and must not be tolerated.

I suggest you take this matter up further with the school, and get them to do a whole class workshop on tolerance and acceptance. It's unreal that children are allowed to be horrid and shout at another pupil.

To hell with the shoes, it's the bullying you need to take action on.

UniS Wed 28-Aug-13 20:58:04

They are a H&S issue. a person is more likely to incur an injury to their toes or their heel in open toe, open heel shoes than in shoes that cover the toes and heel.

I hate dealing with children in open toe sandals who have tripped in the playground and grazed their toes/ top of foot. Mind you I also hate most girls school shoes as they fall off and fall apart and a rubbish for playing run about games on tarmac.

InkleWinkle Sun 18-Aug-13 01:38:44

OP's daughter's probably buying her own shoes by now grin

NoComet Sun 18-Aug-13 01:15:20

DDs school got huffy about 4 years ago, fortunately the summer after DD1 went to senior school.

I think she'd would have gone in sandals regardless and the HT and I would have had a massive falling out.

DD2 doesn't like sandals and always follows the rules.

ipadquietly Mon 12-Aug-13 23:22:46

...since I stopped my bike with my foot wearing a pair of them!
<ouch!>

(Now I use the brakes.)

mothersanonymous Sun 11-Aug-13 23:44:18

The OP's DD probably has a new pair of shoes by now then grin

RustyBear Thu 08-Aug-13 14:46:58

This really takes me back - it was just after I joined MN - I was thinking - oh look, so and so's back - then I noticed the date....

katydid02 Thu 08-Aug-13 14:35:03

It's not allowed in schools here, to be honest I'd assume that they were not appropriate school shoes.

Thumbwitch Mon 29-Jul-13 05:14:41

ZOMBIE THREAD!!!

MrRected Mon 29-Jul-13 04:51:25

Children who live in hot climates wear sandals to school. Not really comparable though as the UK doesn't usually have prolonged spells of really hot weather. Isn't it all a mute point anyway? Aren't you all in the middle of school hols?

My DD wears sandals - but it doesn't go much 30 degrees in the day here for at least 6 months of the year. She has lived to tell the tale - so have her brothers and all their toes.

MidniteScribbler Mon 29-Jul-13 04:29:58

No open toe shoes at our primary school - for students and staff. We spend break times encouraging the students to be physically active, so I wouldn't like to see them wearing sandals. Personally, I'd actually prefer them in a decent pair of sneakers/trainers rather than the traditional leather school shoes.

HeySoulSister Sun 28-Jul-13 21:43:01

This ones not deleted tho??

HelenSandalsMum Sun 28-Jul-13 19:39:46

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BTW while we are talking H&S, ds1 has broken his arm 3 times, twice at school and one of those occasions was when he tripped on the play equipment in the playground and hit the wooden surround that holds in the "safety" bark chippings. One could argue that if there had been no chippings and no frame, he would not have broken it (or not as badly as he did anyway)

Blandmum Tue 13-Jun-06 16:56:08

We are asked not to send the kids into school in open toed sandels as they have too manu accidents wearing them.

In senior school they are banned in labs and work shops etc for valid reasons.

PMSL Marina

Dd does have plimsols at school (for PE) which shw could wear if they really wanted her to although personally, I think her feet are in better footwear when she wears her sandals than when she wears plimsols. but if they insist, I would rather that than buy her more shoes or have her toews trodden on.

prettybird Tue 13-Jun-06 14:36:36

I'm sure when I was in NZ in the 70s, our "summer" uniform included (open toed) sandals. Don't remember any H&S issues - and as this was Scondary School, we would also have been going to chemistry classes.

Crackle Tue 13-Jun-06 14:36:13

My son broke his nose as a 6yo because the front of his open-toed sandal caught under a mat the kids sit on during assembly. He really went down hard and managed to miss the mat entirely catching his face on the metal side of the teachers chair.

The sandals were brand new and the teacher had told me just that morning that they weren't actually standard issue.

A few years later when I was roped in to do a stint of lunchtime playwork, I saw plenty of kids hobbling because they couldn't kick a football in sandals. Didn't seem to stop the daft ones from trying though.

I think that the schools are right in this decision. Could your little girl at least wear cheapo plimsolls for breaktime?

Marina Tue 13-Jun-06 14:28:52

And the nearest contact ds and co are likely to have with chemicals tbh are when they have school trips and hence a packed lunch, and it is a cheese-string and peperami fest . I wouldn't want one of those on my child's bare skin!

Marina Tue 13-Jun-06 14:27:28

Sorry to hear about your dd being ticked off by the rest of the class DG
Must admit, having witnessed an incident a bit like what happened to Piffle's ds at primary school, am OK with ds' school policy of no open-toed/open-heeled sandals in school.
It was carnage You would not think there would be so much blood in one toe. I know these incidents are rare but the memory of it has stayed with me for over 30 years.

tamum Tue 13-Jun-06 14:08:17

I have also never ever heard of primary schools with chemistry labs- I can't imagine how they would use chemistry labs properly at that age. I have obviously led a sheltered life. Your poor dd, DG. That brought tears to my eyes, her lining up her shoes and being told off about them.

spidermama Tue 13-Jun-06 14:04:58

I'm totally with you DG. What a ridiculous contortion of risk perception. How outreageous that because of this madness our childrens feet must be bound in leather in hot temperatures.

julienetmum Tue 13-Jun-06 14:04:52

There is definately a home ec kitchen in the primary school we hire.

I guess facilities vary from school to school.

Not one of the infant schools or primary schools that I have visited since starting to look at schools for ds had any of those rooms. In both of the schools he has attended the Reception children did some cooking, but either the teacher brought a portable stove into the classroom, or they took their ingredients into the staffroom.

My children also only wear shoes when they go out-of-doors, and I don't think that a good, well-fitting pair of sturdy Clarks sandals give poor support. I remember my brother and me kicking footballs, skipping, scooting and cycling in open-toed and open-heeled sandals all summer long. We even did it barefoot! We picked up plenty of bumps and scrapes along the way, but never did any damage.

If ds says he wants to wear closed shoes because he finds it more comfortable for football, or some such thing, then fair enough. But I really think this is taking H&S too far - and it's not just schools: did you see something in the paper this weekend, about Torquay or Torbay council considering that palm trees were dangerous because the pointy leaves might poke someone in the eye - fgs what is the world coming to!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now