Interesting to compare maths and what kids learn

(32 Posts)
mam29 Sun 28-Jul-13 22:25:32

ie.ixl.com/international

Used this site in past for free maths questions but its follows national curriculum of loads of different countries.

We often read on mumsnet how some countries start later

or high up in world education ranking with singapore ranking highly.

sg.ixl.com/

It also has oz, new zealand, south africa, canada, usa and europe to compare.

Whats tricky is how their years line up with ours

are they learning more sooner or more later.

Had quick skim we seem to be covering similar stuff.

but much of what we learning in reception/year 1 seems to be what they learning in preschool or kindergarten.

I know in us their grade 1 is comparable with year2 level here as they do pre k then kindergarten for year 1.

Also made me wonder if maybe the start age we one of youngest does not matter if other countries doing more formal learning in preschool years before their primary years skews things a bit as we think later must be better.

Conteplating homeschooling and wondering which offers the best curriculum as assumed they be all pretty much the similar.

its just what they learn, when and where seems to differ.

mrz Tue 30-Jul-13 12:06:16
ClayDavis Tue 30-Jul-13 12:18:51

I'm not still teaching so haven't used it in school. I have used it one to one to back up what was being taught in school for a child who was struggling and to extend a more able child. I don't know if msz uses it. I think she might uses bits of it or ideas from it.

mam29 Tue 30-Jul-13 12:26:42

ahh so it would be ok for my 7year old going into year 3 but maybe start of at my pals 1 for her and kinder for 4year old

Mrs z that site looks good lots free stuff.

do you use this in class. or are yo fee to use a mix of resources to teach foundation/keystage 1 maths?

mrz Tue 30-Jul-13 12:30:31

I'm free to use a mix but we do use Big Maths (think of it as a short daily mental warm up )

I use the Mathematics Enrichment Programme. It's free on their website, both student pages for printing and basic lesson plans though the workbooks can be bought direct from them (£3 for primary workbooks, two for a full year maths, far easier than fighting printers to ensure the measuring sections are accurate).

This is their primary scheme of work. Very systematic, step-by-step with lots of manipulatives and making with pictures in the first couple of years.

That website's obviously commercial and only has basic framework for national curriculums - obviously not all of Europe has the same (most have their national curriculums available online, I've read a few), not even all of the UK has the same as it is a devolved matter and in the States the requirements can vary from town to town even with the new Common Core standards (moving around the States a lot as a child made maths very difficult). Wouldn't rely on it to give an idea of national standards, that's just looking like a sales gimmick rather than an accurate representation.

mam29 Wed 31-Jul-13 13:36:25

The pisa rankings of last study but some time ago wonder if we improved.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2010/dec/07/uk-schools-slip-world-rankings

puts canada, new zealand and oz higher than usa or uk,

south africa does not appear.

Did some extra digging on ixl and yes they do break it down

so they have welsh, english , scottish and nothern ireland so have no idea why uk judged as one country,

In wales if foundation stage is entire infants r to year 2 do they do less maths than english schools do?

mrz Wed 31-Jul-13 14:31:00

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now