ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.
2nd chance to appeal to secondary school(18 Posts)
I get the impression this doesn't happen often but seeing as I had the recorded call of incorrect information which was given to me.
My question is, if I have already failed once with my appeal, do I really stand any chance at all of getting this panel to see my case in a better light.
The date set is only a few days before the the new term.
Am I wasting my time .....
As you have a fresh appeal it will be a different panel. You also have the chance to strengthen your case - you don't have to use the same case you used first time round. And yes, people who have lost their first appeal do sometimes win a second appeal.
would the acting school authority figure also be a different lady than before or is it just the panel that would be different.
If anyone has won an appeal the second time around it would be interesting to know why you think you lost the first time and then won on your 2nd try?
If you mean the person presenting the case to refuse admission it is likely to be the same person.
She's actually a nice lady, I suppose I just hoped that a different person may have meant a complete fresh do over.
Hi, I'm just wondering how long it all took from the day you lodged your complaint about the first appeal to getting told you have another appeal.
I've sent in a complaint 28th June and I'm wondering how long it all takes.
Thanks for any info and good luck with your appeal.
Also on what grounds were you granted a second appeal? I'm desperate and can't give up hope or trying....
Feel completely drained by the whole process and the efa seem to use their time limits to the full. Why not deal with the work as quickly and efficiently as possible? It's people's lives they are dealing with, it's so frustrating.l.l
I think you have been forgotton about or perhaps your letter went to the wrong department. I originally called to make my complaint and was passed through to several people before eventually being told that the person I need to speak to wasn't there, I was promised a call back for when the lady returned to work which didn't happen.
I then sent an e-mail complaining that no one had the courtesy to call me as promised. Despite me leaving it a few days in case she was catching up with a mountain of paperwork/ e-mails.
I then recieved a call from the Appeals Manager on my mobile whom I spent along time going theough it all and getting her to see my viewpoint on why my appeal was unfair, initially she was very dismissive perhaps because they get calls all the time from unhappy parents not content with the result. Eventually she agreed that if the recorded conversation I had happened the way I said it did then she would most likely grant me a 2nd appeal.
The call in question was made from work so I had my IT department download the call to enable me to e- mail it to her.
I have been given a date of the 2nd September so now I have to to decide if I hold off buying the uniform for the present school that she's been given !!!
Sometimes it feels like they hope that you'll just decide it isn't worth the hassle anymore and give up. So then if you're like me, it makes you more stubborn to persevere. My child doesn't know I'm still appealing and today I found out that they had two fith's of all their appeals for the school in question.
My grounds were based on me calling and asking if the panel would be informed of me winning a different appeal. I was told the panel would only be informed of the school we were allocated and not our 4 th choice school that we won an appeal for ( this was meant as a back up school)
I meant two fiths were successful ..... About 40%
Ok great thanks. I hope you win your appeal. I haven't bought any uniform, just can't bring myself to do it. Bt know I'll have too as if I get another appeal it'll likely be after the term has started! Gutted
I wonder if they allow you a second chance would they still class it as an appeal or would they just make you do an in year application.
I also tried to get a second appeal for our third choice school as our second and third choice school were equal in our preferences. My grounds for appeal for this was due the panel preventing us from talking about our remote location.... Saying yes yes we're well aware of that village. Seeing as we were the only ones that had to appeal not sure how they know what we was going to say or assume that we weren't going to she's light on an aspect that perhaps hasn't been bought up before. The appeals manager was uninterested in what I had to say on this matter and seem perplexed that I wasn't satified with the one second chance ( playing the odds)
Well my complaint is...
Whilst in the appeal, I had notes with me. Well anyway they didn't ask any questions or refer to any of supporting docs and when it came to summing up told me to leave my notes as they'd read themselves as they had nearly 60 appeals to get through.
It would be classed as an appeal as far as I understand it. I'm not holding out much hope to be honest. The clerk didn't even make any notes as he had mine!! But I didn't hand in my private notes with bullet points of the most important facts on. The efa have asked for these though.
They don't seem in any rush to get it through!
I rang the efa as soon as I got home after appeal but was told to wait for the outcome, which I did. My appeal was 17th June and got the letter 28th June. Send my complaint 28th. They've told me it can take upto the 30th August!! For the decision. How ridiculous!
Can I ask what county you're in?
60 appeals sounds like you was given the conveyor belt treatment
I would call again if I was you and chase a decision
Call your local MP for advice perhaps our's was very polite and took the time to visit us at our home so we could speak in person. At the time I appreciated his honesty but felt I was doomed for failure seeing as my child isn't special in that musical / athletic sense. However he gave us two helpful tips that I believe did result in us winning one of the appeals.
We too was told to wait the outcome of all our appeals before she would grant us the second chance to the main one we complained about. All though this made sense it also felt like they hoped we would settle for what we got. It has crossed my mind but every time I do a bit more research into the good schools it only reminds me that if I was to have that attitude that school will be fine.... Then how can I expect my child to so her best .... Rather than just settle for c grades !
What were the two top tips pleaaasssee?? Pm if you'd rather. I've tried ringing a few times. Including twice today, the first time my case handler was away from her desk, the second time I was left listening to dodgy music for 15 minutes and then gave up
The tips were only relevant to us, the public bus returning to our village would not leave the school until 5.17. This meant almost 2 hours of her waiting for a bus each day to return home etc and that the allocated school doesnt have a 6th form.
I have been put on hold a lot aswell but this to helped me as it was a recorded call, because even when I did finally get through to someone they also put me on hold again and again!
I lost my 2nd appeal, will look into other avenues.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.