Article on Gaming Addiction

(2 Posts)
FreelancinSteve Sat 20-Jul-13 12:41:22

Hi folks

I am an ICT teacher and also a parent of two pre-teen girls. I have just written an article on gaming addiction which I think will be interesting to those of you who know what 'screenagers' are like. The link to the article is here, www.e-safetysupport.com/stories/55/gaming-addiction It would be great to read your opinions and experiences of the subject.

In general, I think we need to expand the discussion of addictions beyond drugs to how pretty much anything can be addicting and harmful, some people are more likely to fall in than others due to brain chemistry rather than a character flaw, how difficult periods can trigger addictive behaviours around "normal" things and how to spot them in yourself and others and openly talk about it. Games are certainly one area to talk about, I know people with electronic addictions (internet more than games, though I've seen young people who games are certainly a focus that could turn into one), they can become all encompassing comfort objects that are already everywhere in out daily lives and, with the focus of addictions as it currently is, it's hard to talk about or even to really see because when in it, people feel like everyone plays games or spends time on the internet and it's hard to see the harm without it being shown to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now