A level english literature or langauge?

(41 Posts)
waikikamookau Sun 14-Jul-13 18:26:32

dd can't decide.
she had a taster session for English language, and enjoyed it,

is it a good a level?

is it new, I only know of English literature a level,

she likes poetry, btw and has only recently got interested in reading books so perhaps literature is not such a good choice?

nagynolonger Wed 24-Jul-13 09:05:35

Thanks for the replies! Maybe I should have started a new thread but I was awake early and just passing the time reading some older posts. DH always struggles with the 'arts'. In his day pupils chose arts or science in the sixth form and there was never any mixing the two.

englishteacher78 Wed 24-Jul-13 06:19:58

Nagy - as long as he Maths and Chemistry he can get on any science course. Doing a contrasting A. Level as a fourth is actually what the current AS system was set up to encourage. But then I'll always encourage people to do English grin

EatYourCrusts Wed 24-Jul-13 05:11:06

Nagy - probably better to start your own thread in future because though you have brought this one back to life, lots of people will just read the OP, and reply to them.
I think your son should do the English if that is what he wants to do. You don't need all sciences for many courses at uni', in fact some admissions tutors will like to see that he can use a different part of his brain.

OP, I thought language was less well received, but I did both and find them both interesting, back in the day.

nagynolonger Wed 24-Jul-13 04:49:11

Sorry fourth.

nagynolonger Wed 24-Jul-13 04:45:24

All my older DC did maths and sciences at A level. The youngest has decided to do maths, physics, chemistry and english language in year 12.
DH thinks it's a strange combination. He wants him to do the extra science but I think DS should do what he wants. Is it a bad choice with maths and science subjects? The only other subject he has considered for his forth AS is french if he gets A*/A at gcse.

englishteacher78 Tue 16-Jul-13 20:29:33

If she wants to do psychology I would really recommend Lit rather than Lang so she does 3 'approved' A Levels.

LaTrucha Tue 16-Jul-13 18:26:10

I was asked to teach the joint one (WJEC) and I thought that a lot of the language side was plain wrong and very confusing. I asked DH who has further degrees in linguistics and he said it was indeed wrong so I am very wary of it.

Rummikub Tue 16-Jul-13 18:20:36

It's always worth asking. Is it a school 6th form or FE college?

waikikamookau Tue 16-Jul-13 18:19:07

thanks rummikib
I spose there is no harm in asking.

Rummikub Tue 16-Jul-13 18:16:57

It probably doesn't really matter which one she opts for then. Pick the one she enjoys and is likely to get a high grade in.

Art, history, psychology and either Lang or lit is a good combination.

A level English Lang is quite different to GCSE English Lang.

Will they allow your dd to sit both classes, time tabling dependant, for a couple of weeks before finally deciding?

waikikamookau Tue 16-Jul-13 18:08:17

she doesn't know her final plan,
just embarking on A levels,
loves art.
but who knows.

Rummikub Tue 16-Jul-13 17:41:35

What does she want to do? Uni? What degree?

waikikamookau Tue 16-Jul-13 17:37:44

oops history

waikikamookau Tue 16-Jul-13 17:37:06

hi thanks.
she is thinking of Art, Histology, Psychology, (art being her main love)
and has decided against sociology in favour of English. and, we think, probably language

LizzieVereker Tue 16-Jul-13 17:36:49

I've taught both and worked as an Examiner for both at A Level. Both are very engaging, Literature is still perceived as more rigorous by Unis, especially the RG. IMO the wider reading required to gain a top grade in Literature does make it more challenging. Lang tends to attract less able students at the bottom end IYSWIM.

However, I think Lang can be challenging and really fascinating if it's taught well. Lang is more like linguistics, and has elements of psychology and sociology to it. Standards within the subject are rising, as teachers and students are better prepared for it now that there is a spoken language unit at GCSE. I think it's a really solid option, but will not give access to a good Lit degree course - yet.

Oblomov Tue 16-Jul-13 17:22:47

This is fascinating. I did both Lit and Lang.
It is totaly interesting how things have changed and how they are now perceived.

JedwardScissorhands Tue 16-Jul-13 17:19:06

When I went to uni (late 90s), language wasn't accepted by some RG Unis.

englishteacher78 Tue 16-Jul-13 17:14:32

The joint is not particularly good in my opinion - it really doesn't know what it's meant to be. I found Language to be a MUCH easier A Level than the Literature but that might just be me.

lainiekazan Tue 16-Jul-13 13:38:06

That's an interesting point about English Language possibly attracting less able students, englishteacher78. Is the A Level easier than Literature?

The joint LangLit A Level is the WJwotsit board: does this mean this A Level is poorly regarded by top universities? I have spoken to one teacher who said that this board has less academically rigorous courses and universities are aware of this.

Helpyourself Mon 15-Jul-13 18:31:33

Sorry French, that's plain wrong.
What other A Levels is she thinking of OP?

englishteacher78 Mon 15-Jul-13 18:31:27

You don't need English Language at A level to study it at Uni though. You need essay based subjects.

Frenchvanilla Mon 15-Jul-13 18:28:23

"English" at uni level tends to refer to literature, though.

Frenchvanilla Mon 15-Jul-13 18:27:31

Yes, obviously, you need literature a level to study English lit at uni.

Same as you need English language a level to study english language at uni.

Obvious, surely.

They're both as prestigious as each other.

cavell Mon 15-Jul-13 10:34:08

English Literature is more highly regarded and is a facilitating subject for RG universities:

"In our list of facilitating subjects, English refers to English Literature. However, individual universities will have their own admissions policies, and entrance requirements will vary by courses within institutions. In general, English Literature or a combined English Language and Literature course is required at advanced level for entry to study English at university. A few universities will also accept English Language without a Literature qualification."

www.russellgroup.ac.uk/faqs

celticclan Mon 15-Jul-13 08:21:47

I studied joint English language/Literature at A level and I hated it with a passion. I had loved English at GCSE level and was considering it at degree level but A level well and truly put me off. I had enjoyed the practical and creative writing aspects of English at GCSE however there was hardly any of that at A level, it was very theoretical and as dull as dishwater. I enjoyed the literature side more even though that wasn't a strong area for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now