ofsted tomorrow, half the school out on residential trip, head teacher away

(18 Posts)
legounderfoot Wed 10-Jul-13 22:12:36

It couldn't be much worse really.

It seems a bit unfair to do an inspection this close to the end of the summer term when things are winding down. Will it reflect badly on the school that all the older kids y4 up are out? I feel incredibly sorry for the teachers in all of this. It's a little school, so if Ofsted mark it down that could have a real impact on numbers. Please tell me this isn't as depressing as I think it is. I think they got Outstanding last time but I know the goalposts keep shifting. How on earth will the school show its best face a week before the school year ends with half of them away?

springtide Wed 10-Jul-13 22:35:06

No doubt the teachers who are away on the residential will be delighted! Lessons will still be observed. A lot of the inspection involves looking at data and talking to the leadership team and Governors. Ofsted inspectors frequently visit schools at the beginning and end of term - they'll know what to expect at this time of the year. At least the teachers will have the holiday to look forward to when its all over!

springtide Wed 10-Jul-13 22:37:35

But where is the Head ? I'd be surprised if he/she didn't change plans to be there.

legounderfoot Wed 10-Jul-13 22:45:47

The head is away on the residential. Presumably if ahe came back they'd need to find alternative staff to send to ensure they have the right ratio.

There are only 3 classes in the school: r/1, 2/3, and 4/5/6 and the top class is the one that's away. The inspection won't be very representative.

springtide Wed 10-Jul-13 23:03:50

Wow that is tiny - my sons went to a First school with 450 and Middle with 600 children - both also oustanding schools. I would leave the worrying to the teachers - the head will be thinking how best to deal with this. Once Ofsted announce they are coming I'm sure there is no room for negogiation - all good schools tend to be "Ofsted ready' regardless of the time of the year.

TheFallenMadonna Wed 10-Jul-13 23:14:06

I expect the Head will come back for at least one of the days.

NoComet Wed 10-Jul-13 23:26:37

Similar size to DDs school this year.

As for Ofsted, I'm afraid Ofsted will have already decided what they want to find. <cynical>

Bumpstarter Wed 10-Jul-13 23:33:42

I think you are right to worry. Of course the head has to stick to the original plan. Butt the deputy has to step up and make it all right. Make sure that all the parents fill in the Parent survey that gets sent out.

HarrietSchulenberg Wed 10-Jul-13 23:58:04

Heads very often go on residentials as an extra body and aren't counted in on the required ratios. I think you'll find he/she will be heading back if not already returned.

tiggytape Thu 11-Jul-13 11:19:49

To be honest you could say the same about many schools. Secondary schools 'lose' their Year 11 and Year 13's pretty early every year. Inspections only last 2 days so even if the Head isn't away, there's a fair chance some staff will be regardless of the time of year. Ofsted will inspect supply teachers every bit as much as regular teachers because of course somebody's children are being taught by them whether it is for a week or a term so it is only fair all standards are looked at.

And with 6 half terms a year, most schools could constantly be viewed as in a 'getting geared up' or 'winding down' phase at some point.

And Star - you are not cynical - you are right. The school will already have told Ofsted where they think they are including identifying weaknesses and giving their anticipated level. Quite often this is based on 'mock' inpsections that many schools ask their LAs to carry out. Sometimes it is a surprise to the parents but the school should know roughly where they are.

Lancelottie Thu 11-Jul-13 18:16:39

Lego, DS's school was inspected last year while the head was away... at an Ofsted convention! Apparently his deputy phoned and said 'You won't believe why we need to speak to you...'

lljkk Sat 13-Jul-13 18:26:20

I hate it when schools cancel all their plans just because of Ofsted. If they don't like it they should come back another day.

Talkinpeace Sun 14-Jul-13 16:14:30

this is based on 'mock' inspections that many schools ask their LAs to carry out

more than half of secondary schools are now Academies, not connected to any LEA so they would have to pay for a visit - so chances are it won't be happening

tiggytape Sun 14-Jul-13 17:05:11

This is a primary school though Talkin.

Talkinpeace Sun 14-Jul-13 17:08:57

primaries are converting too - sometimes against their own choice ....
any academy or free school has no official links to the LEA

tiggytape Sun 14-Jul-13 17:15:54

No that is true - however given that LAs have run things for so many years, academies often buy in their services anyway eg many academies pay LAs to run their appeals for them.

As it is a primary though, it is more likely to currently be under LA control than not. I agree at secondary, the picture is very different.

CointreauVersial Sun 14-Jul-13 17:41:09

Our last Ofsted happened on one of the majorly snowy days - half the pupils and staff didn't make it to school, and even the inspector was a couple of hours late.

It was rescheduled in the end.

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 14-Jul-13 20:42:11

If you want ofsted to turn up with little or no annoucement this will happen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now