11+ How do we prepare?

(13 Posts)

Hi, my dd is due to take her 11+ this september and i'm racking my brains of how to help her study for it.

Is there any websites or books that are of any help?
Really would like her to have a good chance of passing, she is a very bright girl but just after advice of how to maximise her chancessmile

Tia x

HabbaDabbaDoo Fri 14-Jun-13 11:02:55

September? If you are thinking of applying to a super selective then you might have left it a bit in the day to start but no doubt others will be along shortly to say that they did no prep or minimal prep with theirs and they passed with flying colors.

Anyway, elevenplusexams.co.uk is a good place to start for resources and advice. The forums are split into regions so you stand a better chance of getting advice from parents who have info about your school.

Stephens Fri 14-Jun-13 11:34:44

Hi pumpkinsweetie,

I admitted my daughter in Examberry. If your child is a quick learner, then you can admit him/her to Examberry under their Intensive Course.

In this program, they cover all the topics in just two weeks. Good Luck!

breadandbutterfly Fri 14-Jun-13 12:51:25

Find your area in the 11+ forum - they will tell you the best practice material in your area.

www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/viewforum.php?f=64

Ignore the last poster's spam message!

Nerfmother Fri 14-Jun-13 12:53:02

Oh god it's not too late . Just get hold of the 11 plus format in your area and buy some books from water stones. Or try bond online. Practise, make sure she knows what she's doing. Set up a weekly pattern.

Eddie107 Fri 14-Jun-13 12:58:50

Having a wide vocab is important so get her to look up every new word she comes across & The Bond books mentioned above are really good. You still have 3 months & a lot can be acheived in that time. Best of luck to your DD.

jeee Fri 14-Jun-13 13:01:10

The first thing you must do is find out the format of the 11+ in your area - as others have said go to the eleven plus forum which will help you with this.

Blueskiesandbuttercups Fri 14-Jun-13 14:21:18

If you go on secondary I started a thread re tutoring for the 11+ myself,loads of good advice.

Just got the Bond Parents Guide to 11+ and have got to assess where to start,there are assessment tests inside.

The forum has a list of books for each school.

We're going with CPG and Bond,think Bond has an online tutoring thing too.

Thankyou everyone, will try all you have suggested smile

kilmuir Fri 14-Jun-13 16:13:31

i second the elevenplus website

monikar Sat 15-Jun-13 10:01:52

pumpkin Practice papers are the best way to go in my opinion. You need to set up a routine as to when you will do the work and stick to it.

To begin with, work on the principles and go slowly - your DD needs to understand how do to the questions not just rush through and get it done. Then gradually work on the timings - a lot of children fall down as they are just not fast enough and have poor exam technique. It is very difficult but they have to have the discipline to work through a paper in the exam, leave anything out that they can't do and come back to it. Many children don't pass because they don't finish. If she has practised at home, she will have learnt this technique.

Good luck, hope that helps a little.

Thankyou monikar smile

Blueskiesandbuttercups Sun 16-Jun-13 08:10:07

That is useful Minikar.Op did you find the thread in secondary,I'll bump it if not?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now