School appeal failed

(55 Posts)
Hyland Thu 13-Jun-13 19:21:59

We had our rejection letter today and it has totally knocked me back. Our appeal seemed to go so well, the panel nodding and agreeing with our points and agreeing sympathetically. The school authority seemed to be on our side and said they would welcome our child into the school and after even commented on how well we came across and presented our case.

So what went wrong it doesn't make any sense.....? They was basically given a green light, so I thought.

I attended 4 different appeals and thought I knew the difference between the good and the bad.

Surely there is still something more I can do?

TheDoctrineOfAllan Fri 14-Jun-13 20:19:32

It sounds like you did present your case well and you did a great job. As the school is oversubscribed it was always going to be a balance of factors.

Stay on all the waiting lists, you never know, some people may go private at the last minute etc.

PatriciaHolm Sat 15-Jun-13 00:18:19

Based on what you have said here, the panel made the right decision, but I'm sorry you aren't happy with the outcome. There seems to be no grounds to suggest the appeal was incorrectly conducted. You are very unlikely to be able to engineer a significant change in circumstances.
You need to accept that you can't appeal again this year, and prepare as best you can for your child to go to the school you did win an appeal for. I'm sorry but that's the reality of it.

Hyland Sat 15-Jun-13 00:27:14

Thanks for the encouragement, it's nice to hear.... I suppose I was raised not to give up, so feels like I'm waiting to discover a different avenue that perhaps most people don't reach due to the exasperation of all the efforts already made up to that point. I have to admit it is draining, but it feels a waste to quit now. Perhaps I'm deluded lol, maybe I have learnt when to accept the inevitable but I have a little over two months to turn over any stone I can. Trying to stay positive, the alternative is to admit defeat!

nennypops Tue 18-Jun-13 21:35:00

Hyland, if there is no nearer suitable school offering a place, then you're entitled to free transport because you live more than three miles away.

teacherwith2kids Tue 18-Jun-13 23:22:40

Nenny

The OP was offered a place at a closer school but turned it down - so she has to pay for transport.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now