GCSE results day - is it a big deal to be away?

(33 Posts)

Trying to square the circle of next year's summer holiday. I have two daughters who want to do activity holidays (on seperate weeks) and we take a fortnights holiday and there's results day. Dd1 has already said she'd not bothered but i'm wondering what to do. Can you get results e-mailed to you? Has anybody been away? It's unlikely to be a huge trauma - dd1 has all A* targets and is working well so even if she makes a complete arse of things it will be sortable and she will be going on in to the sixth form at her school. What do you all think?

2rebecca Mon 17-Jun-13 22:39:44

I agree that if it was advanced highers or A levels with you having to ring universities clearing etc and places depending on grades I'd stay at home, but my son didn't do much with his standard grade results just looked at them and then texted them to his dad. There was no rush to ask for appeals etc as this was all done when school restarted. He liked having something to distract him from waiting for results. It's a shame all English kids can't have their results sent by text or email.

AuntySib Mon 17-Jun-13 22:40:59

In the schools I know you have to enrol in 6th form on the day the results come out. Best check with the school.

DangoDays Mon 17-Jun-13 22:48:26

Away for both of my results on family holiday. Although both my parents are teachers so that's just what we did. Was fine with it and kept me distracted around stress of approaching results day. Grandparents had gcses. Friend collected a level. Both over phone. Good luck for your dd.

2rebecca Mon 17-Jun-13 22:51:35

We had to decide on 6th form choices a couple of months ago so my son is set to move into 6th year (upper 6th as was in England, I don't get the new English counting system) and do certain subjects if all goes well.
They needed to know probable numbers for subjects in advance so they could work out how many sessions and teachers they needed for all the possible combinations of highers/ advanced highers/ Int 2s/ vocational subjects that kids do in the 6th form. If they left it until August 6th with school restarting on the 20th there'd be chaos.

Scoobyblue Wed 19-Jun-13 13:19:07

I would go on the holiday. Am sure that there will be some way that you can arrange to get the results from the school either by phone or email.

ajandjjmum Wed 19-Jun-13 13:28:40

I'd check with the school to make sure she'll automatically be registered for 6th Form, and if so, go on holiday!

DC were emailed results when they were away (both on school organised trips), and they actually got them earlier than those who went to collect at school.

ChunkyPickle Wed 19-Jun-13 13:30:23

I err, never found out which day it was, and just turned up at school the next term assuming I'd got the results I needed to carry on with A-Levels (arrogance of youth much?)

Go on holiday.

IloveJudgeJudy Wed 19-Jun-13 23:28:34

We are taking our holiday early this year as DD wants to change schools and it's very much dependent on her results. She's fairly confident that she'll get them, but you never can tell, can you? Here, too, you have to confirm with your new school on results day that you got what you needed to change. Also, DD took iGCSEs in many subjects, including what she wants to do for A Levels and, as these are new exams in her school, we just want to be there, just in case.

When I got my O Level results, they were just sent to me through the post and I assumed I would be able to continue to 6th form. It was nowhere near so fraught as it is now.

I have heard of people who usually did well, having a small blip in one exam and not being able to stay on at their usual school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now