do you attend your child's school swimming lessons? If so, why?

(61 Posts)
umbrunion Thu 13-Jun-13 09:46:29

Just a thought. It has never occurred to me to attend and yet some parents do. This is assuming your child is nt and that the school hasn't asked you to go.

School are trying to discourage parents from attending btw.

RoooneyMara Sat 15-Jun-13 08:41:59

Rose I am sorry for what happened to you and to the little girl in the pool. I can understand why it would bother you very much.

I just want to say that no one, NONE of the parents I know would turn up to laugh and point (except me at my own child, possibly)

There is definitewly no helping with getting changed and we sat, the one time I went, in a steep row of seats well above the pool. I waved at ds once or twice but mainly was just chatting.

RoooneyMara Sat 15-Jun-13 08:43:34

Actually I kind of wanted to check it was being done reasonably as I'd witnessed some rather unhappy swimming lessons before, at the same pool.

I didn't want to find my child in a group of worried or unhappy children being shouted at.

Maybe a lot of parents feel worried on similar grounds - maybe their experiences of learning to swim were such that they don't easily trust it to a stranger.

The thing is once all the boys were in the pool with wet hair I couldn't work out which one was DS1 anyway. blush

RoooneyMara Sat 15-Jun-13 08:56:12

LOL grin

I could see mine as he was about 10 feet behind everyone else sad

He doesn't care, he's quite happy. And I love him even if he can't swim.

littleducks Sat 15-Jun-13 08:59:35

I think I would find it a bit weird if uninvited there were mums hanging around every week. Especially if my kids started pestering me to come too, I find it hard enough to attend all the school events we are actually supposed to.

But our school doesn't going swimming till they are in the juniors, so hanging around parents would probably be declared 'embarassing' anyway and they currently walk to a local private school and use their pool so I doubt anyone would be allpowed in anyway.

ShadeofViolet Sat 15-Jun-13 09:01:22

I go as a volunteer with our school - help on the bus, help them get changed etc.

My DS2 wont have swimming lessons for another 2 years, but I have been helping since DS1 had his nearly 5 years ago.

Yes, I only went because it was a public cafe at the local Leisure Centre, I wouldn't have gatecrashed if it were at another school/private pool. That would have been weird.

Llareggub Sat 15-Jun-13 09:31:40

It would never cross my mind to go and watch. My DS had lessons in reception and none of us went, apart from a few SAHM who were good enough to help with changing. If I had concerns about the school keeping them safe then I'd change schools.

But then I am as far from a Klingon parent as you can get.

Ds isn't old enough for school swimming lessons yet, but I have to say this is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard!

laineylou Sat 15-Jun-13 16:34:27

I was a parent helper...school always desperate for parents as they needed bods for the coach and getting swimming hats on. We weren't expected to actually help take the class. I did get very miffed when there was a gaggle of mums happy to pitch up to watch their kids but would never offer to be on the swimming coach rota.

There was no rota lainey. I would have quite gladly helped but the school kept parents at arm's length on the whole. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now