Looking for some feedback on these schools in Surrey/South

(18 Posts)
timeforsomethingnew Sat 08-Jun-13 02:30:32

Following my earlier post on moving back to UK and looking for schools for my DD. Most likely, we would be moving her to Y9 at start of Sept 2014. Looking for a day school place, but if it had boarding that would be good so she could sometimes choose to flexi board or full time board in a few years if we got moved again.

DD is sociable, quietly confident, "average" or "solid" academically (stuggling to find the right word - she's done well this year and no problems but she does need to work/study), hard working, organised. She is v sporty - loves her hockey, but will throw herself into all sports - netball, swimming, biathlon, basketball, tennis, etc. Also likes art, D&T.

As she loves her hockey, if she is good enough, she will want to try for county team/development squads (hard to say if she'll get in as although she's good here, it could be that the standard is lower with less competition.) I did read that some schools have such a full on school week that sport outside school in clubs etc may be difficult.

Following earlier input on another thread and chatting to a few friends, my initial search has turned up the following options as looking possible for her:

Epsom College
St Johns Leatherhead
Caterham School
St Catherines, Guildford
Cranleigh
Lord Wandsworth College

Been in touch with all of these to get more info and will try to visit some on a future trip. Would welcome any feedback on these schools or others we should be considering. We have some choice in the area we'll live in and all these schools would be within reasonable distance (I think!)

Many thanks

somanymiles Sat 08-Jun-13 06:05:13

My brother, sister (6th form) and ex-H all attended Caterham and although that was some time ago I cannot recommend it - very much abusive public school culture. Could have changed since then but I would be very cautious.

timeforsomethingnew Sat 08-Jun-13 06:36:32

Thanks somanymiles. Will bear that in mind.

happygardening Sat 08-Jun-13 07:53:07

Friends with DC''s at Cranlegh are really pleased with it. It is very sporty and solid academic school (but not super selective). But barely any full boarders all our weekly this is their only gripe/disappointment as they need full boarding.

mummytime Sat 08-Jun-13 08:10:34

I know a few girls at St Catz, including a boarder. They seem quite happy. I know a few day pupils at St Johns, mainly happy, one moved as he wasn't happy.
I have heard a lot of gossip about Cranleigh, so would be very cautious.

SoupDragon Sat 08-Jun-13 08:17:18

I am fairly sure there is at least one MNer with boys at Caterham.

LIZS Sat 08-Jun-13 08:25:01

No girls' hockey at Caterham (lacrosse & netball main winter sports) but plenty of other sport. Know of families very happy with Cranleigh although a more local friend thinks it less of it in terms of pastoral care, Lord W isn't perceived as particularly academic. You may be too late tor register for Epsom and St Johns, possibly Cranleigh too, as they will have pretested a year ago for 2014 and closed registrations before then.

holidaysrcoming Sat 08-Jun-13 18:00:46

I would also be surprised if some of these schools would have places at Year 9, Epsom and St John's particularly. I appreciate it's all relative, but I wouldn't say St Cats is suited to a solidly academically 'average' girl. Cranleigh v successful with hockey in past.

How about St Teresa's in Effingham - they seem quite keen on offering broad sporting opportunities and I thought their art dept was good. Mix of weekly and full boarders as well. More likely to have a place.

clueless2013 Sat 08-Jun-13 21:06:37

Would people care to expand on what is problem with Cranleigh? Ref hockey ...what about St Georges in Weybridge? I would also establish how much hockey if any there is at St Catherines. From memory I thought they did Lacrosse.

GuinevereOfTheRoyalCourt Sat 08-Jun-13 21:22:49

St Cats (definitely not Catz - urgh) do lacrosse not hockey - so you should rule it out straight off if hockey is important!

timeforsomethingnew Sun 09-Jun-13 16:40:40

Thanks all.

Holidaysrcoming - I am also worried about chance of getting place at this point sad. Have started calling round so will soon know. Why would you say St Cats not suited to a solidly academically average girl ?? Is it very selective/very academic? As you all mention st cats may be out due to hockey ... But

Also interested to understand what should look out for re Cranleigh.

Will take a look at St Theresa's too

Sticklebug Sun 09-Jun-13 16:49:30

Cranleigh sounds the best option from that list and what you say about your daughter. Steady academically, but a real focus on sports and team work and the hockey is excellent. Also lots of flex boarders

LIZS Sun 09-Jun-13 16:53:02

You may find too late to register for Cranleigh too though. If you mean what they'd heard , was really only usual rumours re drink, drugs, etc and those type of stories are often rife and unsubstantiated. Several families we now have children who weekly board there - musical, sporty and/or academic. Also you need to find out admissions arrangements for those not sitting Common Entrance as many, particularly the more traditional, boarding schools pretest Year6 or 7 then use CE results at 13+ for confirmation. Others (Ardingly , Worth, Brighton College ?)may set their own tests to be taken Autumn/January of Year8 and those may still be accepting registrations.

trinity0097 Sun 09-Jun-13 18:34:04

My experience is that Cranleigh do often have a few spaces up their sleeve for late entrants. I would class it as a boarding school, well weekly boarding anyway, rather than somewhere I would send a day pupil. They accept pupils who have done Level 1 papers at common entrance, so do have a fairly mixed intake academically, far more so than somewhere like St. Catherine's which in the area is considered the 2nd most academic girls school to get in (they also usually take at yr 7).

Tanith Sun 09-Jun-13 19:07:47

Have you considered Prior's Field? They're all-girls, play hockey and are much more of a full boarding school. I think they're not quite such an academic powerhouse as St.Catherine's. May be worth a look - they're just outside Godalming, near Charterhouse.

MABS Sun 09-Jun-13 20:42:38

You considered hurst?

Leeds2 Sun 09-Jun-13 20:58:09

Woldingham, maybe?

CherryEmma Sat 15-Jun-13 17:40:51

Have you posted this also on our Surrey site? http://local.mumsnet.com/Talk/surrey/local-active

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now