8+ prep waiting lists

(5 Posts)
Moominsarehippos Tue 30-Apr-13 16:05:50

Does anyone know how long schools hold open the waiting lists (for very competative schools who don't generally take kids outwith 7, 8 and 11+)?

Not trying to raise my hopes here!

ItsRainingOutside Thu 02-May-13 03:41:43

They'll hold them open as long as you still meet the criteria for entry. The best way to get yourself bumped up the waiting list is to keep calling to ask if any places are coming up. Most schools tend not to check the data on their systems very regularly and there will be lots of people possibly on a waiting list who are no longer interested or whose children now don't fit the entry criteria.

Moominsarehippos Thu 02-May-13 08:29:26

We were on the waiting list last year for the 8+ and I was told that there were no No NO places by the admissions folks. Recently someone told me (a bit chinese whispers) that the school was asking for updates on some kids from the previous year. Would I sound a bit batty if I called them to say we would be still keen for a place?

ItsRainingOutside Thu 02-May-13 20:36:28

No, definitely keep pushing. I know some pre-prep schools in central London (as attended by Wills and Harry) where there are hundreds of kids on the waiting list but those parents who persist and stay in contact with the school will be kept in mind by the Admissions Director. It can't hurt.

Moominsarehippos Thu 02-May-13 22:07:23

Ok - it may be the wine talking... but its worth a try (even if they mark me down for the 11+ as the kid with the barmy mother!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now