ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Up to date opinions on Cranmore Prep

(42 Posts)
Aja75 Sun 28-Apr-13 19:14:50

We are considering moving our little boy to Cranmore prep for reception 2013. Have heard mixed reports of Cranmore; the most worrying being that the school becomes less nurturing and v competitive as the boys get older. Would really appreciate views from parents who have recent experience of the school. Thank you.

Flyingmum23 Sun 28-Feb-16 22:48:37

I wrote my review last year as a very happy Cranmore parent. This year my opinion is totally different. My son moved to the senior department and this is now a totally different world. He is expected to move from class to class, he even gets a locker. This growing up concept (2 years beforehand) seems a good thing but some kids cannot manage it at all. I agree now with some comments about the school made previously. If your son is not sporty will go in the lower teams for fixtures; some children do not much but others will feel really bad about being at the bottom. Unless you can shine on an aspect of school life you will suffer in confidence..some children will show more than others. My son is now becoming very anxious., The school also gives demerits for not turning to a class on time when the reality is to get from one building to the other in a very short time after packing all your belongings and without a watch must a difficult task. I still think the juniors is a great place but the seniors will only suit a type of boy.

mummytime Fri 16-Oct-15 23:11:23

This is an old thread. I'd suggest starting a new one.
The school seems to be totally changing, as it is becoming co-ed. it is also less academic than it was when my DS was little.

Oscarwhite Fri 16-Oct-15 21:51:41

Good evening everyone.

Can someone please share up to date reviews about Cranmore school.
We are thinking of moving our son for reception 2016.

I'm especially interested to hear about bullying issue is that really the case ?!

Thank you

mummytime Mon 08-Jun-15 17:32:31

This thread started 2 years ago!

Your son has been there nearly a year. He could have a great time the whole way through - lots of boys do. Or in a couple of years you will look back and see what some people have written in the past is true or closer to your DS's experience.

As a school it has definitely changed over the years (some bits definitely for the better), and I'm sure it will continue to change. However some parents and boys have had bad experiences - and memories of those experiences will linger for a long time.

Dragongirl10 Mon 08-Jun-15 09:17:25

My son has been at Cranmore since September this year, and l am surprised by the negative comments posted.

My experience has been great, his teacher has gone above and beyond to make sure he is happy and supported, he is a August baby so very young against classmates and very sensitive and not sporty or particularly academic. All the staff have been open and welcoming and his teacher is always available for a quick word.

There is so much more than sport, my son sings in the choir, does drama, and is learning an instrument, he can even do a popular cookery club!

It is a disciplined school, bad behavior is not tolerated but the teachers are kind and are hugely invested in the boys happiness and success. We had a minor bullying incident and after a quiet word my sons teacher immediately dealt with it sensitively and efficiently and has followed up with me.

I cannot fault either the teaching or pastoral care.

HeartandSoul100 Thu 05-Feb-15 21:14:53

Well said Peckypoo13 - good to know there are sensible people still out there.

Peckypoo13 Thu 05-Feb-15 20:21:32

I have 2 boys at cranmore and they both love it. We have been at the school for 5 years. They joined in the juniors and are now in the seniors. After reading all the comments above, I felt I had to give my feelings about the school. Can I just say 'boys will be boys' - there is always going to be a bit of banter between boys which some parents think is 'bullying'. If you want to wrap your son up in cotton wool, want him to be a mamba-pamby wimp - then do not send him to cranmore. Otherwise, he will become a mature, organised, confident, can stand on his own 2 feet type of boy. Yes, we have had an issue with a group of boys 'bullying' my younger son. We told him what to say to the boys the next day, he did, case closed. No parent involvement whatsoever. There has never been a fist fight in the playground (not like my school back in the day!!). You have to let your boys get on with it!! I've seen so many parents going in over the slightest comment made to their sons and find it ridiculous. This 'bullying' goes on in every school. The teachers are great, again we have had issues with some decisions but just get on with it. It's a great school, but I will say though that it is competitive - but boys thrive on competition and we all want our boys to thrive don't we? The other comments about the follow on schools loving cranmore boys are correct - I have spoken to many people who say the cranmore boys stand out not only in maturity but academically too. Both my sons are becoming/have become well educated, polite, organised, competitive, caring young men. We were previously at another well known prep school before this, and there is absolutely no comparison to cranmore. Best decision we ever made was to put them here. Don't listen to bad comments!! Only people who are not happy complain and write something, when there are hundreds of very, very happy parents. Go and see for yourself. I apologise for some of my harsh words in my rant!!!

HeartandSoul100 Thu 06-Nov-14 16:04:11

Going through the 11+ process at the moment, and would have given anything to have given our son the opportunity to stay at the school he is so happy, secure and thriving at, academically and socially, until

Flyingmum23 Thu 06-Nov-14 15:38:20

My son joined Form 1 or year 3 this September and the school has exceeded my expectations. I cannot explain with words how incredible this school is. My son loves it. I think it suits the ones that want to try loads of different things. There are plenty of opportunity for sports and music for all levels and cater for children that struggle. The school aims at maximizing the child's potential and I really liked that specially if you have a son with a number of talents and is not doing so well on other areas. It is an academic school and all children will do well based on their ability as the school is inclusive. The overall education cannot be better and the parents community is special.

There have been talks about moving to 16 but I believe these plans are not confirmed and are unlikely to progress.

HeartandSoul100 Sat 26-Apr-14 21:33:00

Just following on from the comments regarding bullying. In my opinion, and very sadly, bullying occurs in all schools - fact. There is good parenting, and not so good parenting - fact. Bullying is so often the result of children not being taught to respect others, to understand others, and to be kind to others. It is a parenting role to teach this, with reinforcement and support from schools, yet so often schools are left to pick-up the pieces, and precious, valuable teaching time is spent dealing with inappropriate behaviour - time that is taken away from the children who are respectful, well-behaved and want to learn. As with every school, there are times when/where unfortunately Cranmore also have to 'pick up these pieces' too - and from unfortunate personal experience, this is something they do very well - but shouldn't have to.

HeartandSoul100 Sat 26-Apr-14 18:01:24

Our son has been nothing but happy, secure and well-educated at Cranmore - both academically, and socially. We joined Cranmore in the Junior Department from a local Pre-Prep village school, and made the best decision ever - he is now absolutely thriving in the Senior Department - happy, secure & trusting. Teaching has been fantastic, and our son has been given the chance to 'have a go', and excel in all areas. He has never been 'pushed', by the school, or us as parents. He has been encouraged, and excited, by the areas he excels in, and supported and given confidence in other areas.
The Headmaster is fantastic - he is supportive, caring and really does want the best for the boys.
One thing to bear in mind is that all schools, every school, will have people vocalising based on their own experiences - but please bear in mind these are personal, individual experiences with background, so all I would say is please follow your own views, and your own personal opinions.
We are very, very happy with Cranmore, our son is very, very happy and we will move on to our next senior school knowing he has had a wonderful, enriching & safe start. This is our own personal opinion based on personal experience, and one we as a family are all happy with. Good luck & happiness with your own personal choices, whatever they may be.

Commelareine Sun 05-Jan-14 05:42:55

I was quite shocked to read some of the comments about Cranmore on here, and sorry that people seem to have had bad experiences. I don't recognise the school from the overall impression you get after reading this however. There is always an element of matching the right school to the right boy, however some elements such as pastoral care, handling of bullying, communication with parents and opportunities for all boys are all, in my experience, excellent. I have 2 boys at the school and they have thrived since going there. Neither of them is particularly assertive or A-type personality. My eldest loves sport but is not an out-performer and is happy to play on the lower teams because he can achieve at his own level. Ay the same time there are some amazingly talented kids there and I feel that by seeing what they can achieve, my son sets his sights higher and tries harder. The boys are encouraged to focus on their own improvement rather than being in any way diminished by other boys' level of achievement. Academically, I have found the teachers to be strict but engaging, and very accessible by email whenever there is an issue I need to raise. They do encourage the boys to be independent a lot earlier than I've seen elsewhere which is tricky at first but I think it shows through in the attitude that you see in the boys when they leave. My son is not naturally very organised and it has been tricky for him to take this on board, however given this I would rather he learnt good organisation and study techniques now rather than fall behind because he's forgotten his books for every class. As for my youngest, he absolutely loves going to school and has learnt to read so quickly because, in my opinion, they have not pushed him but rather presented him with opportunities and got him interested in it. One of the main things that comes through for me at Cranmore is that they allow your child to develop at their own speed and are not solely assessing them on tests. They actively discourage tutoring and overloading with after school activities which I, for one, welcome. I would say to anyone considering Cranmore, take a look and talk to current parents before making a decision whether it's right for your kids. It can be useful to be aware of the negative points raised so you can check the specific issues with the school and other parents and make your own decision from there.

Mamamia80 Sun 22-Dec-13 21:47:58

I'm not english so I'm sorry for my way of expressing myself. We are not competing and that's why we took the boys out because even though they were given those awards of total highest merits every school year and we were told they were smart boys we didn't like the competitive environment. Parents competing with them through their children. The same applied in sports, they were in the A teams and swimming squads but we didn't mind as other parents did, and trust me the director of sports complained who parents argued because their children are not put in the A teams when they played outside sport in other clubs. If we were competitive we would have stayed as they were performing but the environment and morals were just wrong and they are still wrong. The pastoral care was poor and as my friends tell me the problems in the playground are still happening. I just don't believe in a hostility atmosphere when children have only one childhood to have fun. They are push to grow to fast. I'm giving my opinion and experience as the original post is asking views about Cranmore, I'm not sure mummy's love why you take it so personally and why are you being aggressive towards me. We are talking about experiences in a school, not about whether I can spell a surname or not....

NigellasDealer Sun 22-Dec-13 18:26:30

"mummy's love" post sounds like an extended advert for the school. odd choice of wording too.

MummysLove Sun 22-Dec-13 18:21:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MummysLove Sun 22-Dec-13 16:59:07

Mamamia80 Sun 22-Dec-13 16:29:11

Hi there. After 5 years we left Cranmore and my boys are so happy now! My boys were happy at Cranmore, well we thought they were but us as parents weren't as we noticed the school was changing a lot over the last 5 years and not a great change in our opinion. Now that my children are in a different environment I realised why people don't like Cranmore that much. I even felt bad of chosing Cranmore for them once. And I'm talking about 2 top of the class, music stars and A team players but they are much better off that environment now. When we see people from our old school or the boys go to play sport at Cranmore I see how blind I was just because the boys never complained or nothing tragic happened. But they are different children now and I can see now how a school can make a child be a truly happy person. It's a fantastic school when you see it from outside or even the first few years but I know a lot of people who are there who are not happy. If you come from the state system is obviously going to be better but that doesn't mean it's better than the rest of the private schools. Parkside I don't know very well but London's freeman is a fantastic school, it is in a completely different level to Cranmore, my sister in law is a teacher there. You can't go wrong with London's freeman. Also note that Cranmore is in financial trouble, they are going co ed in sept till year 2 but this is due to financial struggle. Mr Connelly has done it already at barrow Hills, I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves soon.

MummysLove Sun 15-Dec-13 06:33:07

homebythesea Tue 03-Dec-13 15:16:17

Are you doing 7+ ? If so I would sit them all and give yourself a dilemma. Do 2 at least as it can be something of a lottery

funmum42 Tue 03-Dec-13 14:56:25

Current school says he is borderline for colfs, but she doesn't seem to favour colfs at all. Going to visit parkside this week. It will either be cranmore, colfs or parkside.

homebythesea Tue 03-Dec-13 13:58:57

the massive benefit of CLFS is that it is a through school so no entrance exams at 11/13 - and that it is co-ed but you may have strong feelings about single sex schooling? However CLFS is quite academic and they do go for a "type" so quite difficult to get into. What is current Head saying?

funmum42 Sun 01-Dec-13 09:32:49

Hi all, i know this is a bit late but would like some thoughts...... we are considering cranmore and city of london freemans in ashtead for my son. He is more sporty than academic but trys really hard. Also just thinking about Parkside but dont know much anout it. Are they all similar academic wise, i got the impression that Parksidse wasnt as academic? Head in a total spin! Help!

shorthillsmum Mon 11-Nov-13 11:28:12

Hi... I guess you are now settled on a school choice, but just in case you are not, I have to add a view. My son started at cranmore in September and we love it. He is neither particularly sporty or at all competitive and yet the school is bringing the best out in him. He comes home all the time telling me how much he likes school and how he thinks it is the best school. So, please do have a look... I looked at the cranmore reviews and nearly didn't visit it. When I did I realised a lot of the 'reviews' on mums net were based on misinformation and gossip. I toured 6 schools and I am very pleased with our choice. The teachers are great, the opportunities they provide are amazing and my sons class is full of lovely well rounded boys. Good luck.

kittykatkat Sun 04-Aug-13 20:23:37

Sadly, I don't think I was alone in my 'bad experience'. I do agree that everyone should have a good look around all potential schools, and make their own decisions, but also to heed the advice of others with first hand experience.

RightMoveAddict Thu 25-Jul-13 13:47:05

Just a quick note-please do not dismiss Cranmore just because of the odd bad experience-this happens at any school. I taught boys who left Cranmore and you could pick them out amongst their peers-polite, super-bright and keen.
All schools have their fans and critics. Do go and look!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now