League table of Ex Poly's ?

(105 Posts)
Gunznroses Sun 21-Apr-13 18:00:23

I have no dc of university age, but i've been wondering, its been a few good yrs now since all poly's were upgraded to Uni's. Does anyone think that we might be seeing the emergence of a few climbing up the hierarchy ladder of status, maybe even entering Russell Group in future ? Oxford Brooke's in particular seems to be coming up a lot with youngsters who couldn't get into Oxford or Cambridge.

Even if RG is not on the card's which ex poly's would you say are higly rated at the moment ?

teacherwith2kids Mon 29-Apr-13 17:49:31

Xenia, As I have said before - and I am only playing this game at all because my view stems for a conviction as deep seated, as focused, and in many ways immovable as your own - the question of who earned more did not come into the equation when deciding who stayed at home with our children.

I will reiterate - I stayed at home with my children (not babies, children: tbh I would cheerfully have handed over my 3 month olds to anyone, but from 9 months to 5, that's a different story) because of a deep-rooted conviction that I was absolutely the right person to be their primary carer. Money was equal for either of us, but I was the right person.

Xenia Mon 29-Apr-13 10:20:51

I want to be wrong. Women earn more than men up to age 30 in the UK and 60% of UK graduates are female. Yet even under 30 those higher earning women still tend to marry men who earn a bit more, are a bit older, are a bit better educated. I am hoping that will change. As it has not changed yet by the time it comes to age 32 who gives up work to make babies, if any of them do, then the lower earner - women because she earns less gives up work. It is one of the main reasons women continue to do badly at work over age of 30. Hopefully it will change.

Copthallresident Sun 28-Apr-13 19:04:06

And another here who very much married down wink In fact when I met DH I was the one with a nice flat and well paid job.

SwedishEdith Sun 28-Apr-13 19:00:22

Employers have to much choice they reject them for the smallest of errors

Ha ha Xenia You do make such a fool of yourself sometimes, it's almost endearing

Copthallresident Sun 28-Apr-13 18:31:13

What a strange and antiquated view. One thing that has struck me about my DDs and their peers is that they are not remotely interested in the idea of marriage or children, and certainly would not make any life decisions based on finding a man, of any description. Even those sorts of girls who are known as "Sloanes" are a very different animal to the ones in my day, who admittedly went for wealthy upper class men like heat seeking missiles, now they are bleached blonde, slightly orange and just as prone to falling out of nightclubs and sleeping around as their Newcastle and Cardiff peers, just with a posher accent.

And now that there are equal numbers of the sexes at universities including Oxbridge it can't be such a meat market anyway. The 1 girl for every 10 boys was a magnet for all those attending crappy secretarial colleges back in the 70s but now anyone forking out for that sort of thing would have much less chance of finding a husband, or getting a job...............

teacherwith2kids Sun 28-Apr-13 16:43:21

I'm obviously a 1 in 5 then...

Despite actively choosing to be a SAHM for 7 years, I am better educated than my husband (Oxbridge PhD vs London BA), and at the point I had children we earned exactly the same (to the £1 as I recall).

I cared for my children in their early years from a deep conviction - just as deep as yours, Xenia, but different - that my particular children would benefit more from having me as their primary carer and first educator in their early years than they would have done by me subcontracting that role and choosing to earn money instead.

So far I have no evidence whatever that my strategy has not been wholly successful.

creamteas Sun 28-Apr-13 16:39:35

In fact Oxbridge men used to marry the language student girls in the towns. It's very well known

That is not evidence. First it is an anecdote, and second just because the marriages took place, that does not mean that the women chose their universities because they were planning to marry someone from Oxbridge.

If you have two earners it can make sense for the one of the lower income to reduce their work to care for children. It is usually the women because we live in a sexist society which generally pays women less and current state policy which gives massively more maternity rights than paternity encourage this.

I can't even work out what 'marrying up' or down means. But I guess that is because I believe in all forms of equality and reject the idea that some people are inherently better than other.

ParmaViolette Sun 28-Apr-13 16:31:57

I second Xenia. I only filled in my UCAS form 4 years ago and there were girls applying Angela Ruskin and Oxford Brookes for this reason!

Xenia Sun 28-Apr-13 16:24:41

Loads. In fact Oxbridge men used to marry the language student girls in the towns. It's very well known.

Look at how many mumsnetters earn much less or nothing compared to their men and live off male earnings for most of their lives - it's common practice - women marry up and men's ego is flattered by the pretty little thing who was never up to much and could never have got into Oxbridge.

You do not have to sweat much blood over A levels for ex polys or language or cookery courses in towns were richer young men hang out.

Sadly I live in a century where 4 in 5 women choose to marry up, someone who earns more who is sa bit older and a bit better educated. It comes up on just about every mumsnet thread when we ask why the woman gave up work and not the man.

creamteas Sun 28-Apr-13 13:03:33

..unless you were wanting to marry an Oxford undergraduate in which case some women do deliberately target the town

What evidence do you have for such a claim?

As a university lecturer who does a lot of outreach work in a huge range of schools, I would be extremely surprised if you had any.

Universities are chosen for a range of reasons, some more personal than academic. Yes, there are cases where young people chose universities in particular places because of existing relationships. Both male and female BTW, rather than your sexist assumptions.

But the idea that many young women sweat blood over their A levels for the marriage market is absurd. What century do you think we are living in?

Xenia Sun 28-Apr-13 11:12:08

..unless you were wanting to marry an Oxford undergraduate in which case some women do deliberately target the town.

Xenia Sun 28-Apr-13 11:11:15

POV, absolutely. This is why it is so important schools and parents do tell teenagers these things. No one would have a list in order of Oxford, Cambridge, Oxford B ex poly.

ParmaViolette Sun 28-Apr-13 09:39:19

Where on earth did you hear that Oxford Brookes is popular with those who didn't get into Oxbridge?

Anyone who had the grades to even apply would be going to UCL, Manchester, Exeter, Bristol, Kings, Imperial, LSE, St. Andrews, Edinburgh- not UCAS points offering Oxford Brookes shock

Xenia Sun 28-Apr-13 09:00:32

I do not usually on the internet point it out, but I thought it might be a helpful lesson. "poly's " is never right and it makes people look foolish and of course it does not matter on here, but it matters on CVs.

LadyLech Sun 28-Apr-13 08:58:17

Totally agree, there are times where I would expect spelling, punctuation and grammar to be correct and this would include CVs, letters of job applications, documents from schools and the like.

However, pointing out other people's errors on facebook, twitter a forum etc is something I consider to be quite rude and unnecessary. It also leaves you with egg on your face when you point out someone else's errors and you then have your own errors subsequently pointed out.

[now waits for someone to come along and point out my errorsgrin]. Disclaimer: I only have a pseudo RG degree, so I can be excused as inferior.

Copthallresident Sun 28-Apr-13 08:35:29

lady lech Of course a CV has to be impressive in every way but worrying about a post on Mumsnet? A bit anal, and life is too short.....

LadyLech Sat 27-Apr-13 21:44:47

"I am sent a lot of CVs. Employers have to much choice they reject them for the smallest of errors. I was only trying to be helpful. Apostrophes can be the litmus test."

Misusing apostrophes is a silly schoolboy error. Almost as bad as not knowing the difference between to, too and two. grin

nokissymum Sat 27-Apr-13 16:41:42

and to add, many on here don't care about all this silly spelling stuff, its an internet forum not a job application.

nokissymum Sat 27-Apr-13 16:40:31

I've read through this thread and the only person looking very very silly here is you Xenia you sound more and more of a silly woman with every post!

Xenia Sat 27-Apr-13 16:26:10

I am talking about new graduates. The genuinely are rejected because of issues like that and it is crucial parents tell their children that and schools and universities tell them.

I also think we all learn something new every day. I do. So if mumsnet helps some posters learn that poly's makes them look a bit silly then they can choose to carry on using it or give it up, but at least have the information.

Copthallresident Sat 27-Apr-13 15:48:14

Been to 3 RG unis, BA, MBA, Dip MRS, Dip CIM, and MA and I have never mastered the apostrophe, and once, before the days of Spellcheck, managed to spell Emperor four different ways in an essay........ Being dyslexic I am a great believer that it is important to look beyond such trivialities to the quality of the ideas and argument, especially on Mumsnet which is enough of a timewaster without spending hours checking your grammar and spelling!

MTSgroupie Sat 27-Apr-13 13:39:48

If my CV gets rejected because of a misplaced punctuation mark, despite a couple of decades experience and a Msc, then it's not a place I would be happy in.

SignoraStronza Sat 27-Apr-13 13:16:06

Xenia, you'd have have a hard time figuring me out. I didn't even go to university but am able to use apostrophes correctly. I've also taught English successfully to doctors, lawyers, scientists and architects. My bog standard comprehensive must have done something right, despite the fact I quit just before A levels.

I have worked with several graduates of Russell group universities who are barely able to string a grammatically correct sentence together. wink

As has my friend, who left school at 16 to shovel shit at a riding stables and is now at director level in her organisation.

Keep on feeling superior though, by all means. You're very entertaining. grin

teacherwith2kids Sat 27-Apr-13 13:08:12

Xenia, in my brief Google, it was clear that several reputable grammar guides published within the last 20 - 30 years actually stated that MBA's was the correct form. The emerging consensus that 'MBAs is the only correct form' is really quite recent - so those using it may not be 'less educated', simply taught the previous rule.

(I am of the era - 1970s - when grammar was not taught in schools at all. So while I am very well educated - 1st class degree + PhD in a science subject from Oxbridge - it is not an area in which I was taught 'the rules'. I have learned more grammar in the past 4-5 years, while doing my PGCE and then teaching, than I did in my entire formal schooling,)

Gunznroses Sat 27-Apr-13 12:25:03

Xenia you are so far up your own tight arse that you seem to think every Mner on here would be approaching you with their cv. I can assure you I am very successful in my own field but we don't all boast about it on MN, its boring.

I couldnt really care less what you thynk about my grammer or spellingz, apostrophies whatever. When I come on mn i come to let my hair down away from all the dotting the i's and crossing the t's, just like some people like to swear all the time on MN it doesn't mean thats how they speak in a professional setting. My spellings on mn are no indication of how I might write a report or a professional email. I enjoy the freedom of being able to type anyhow i like and when last i checked it wasn't a requirement to join MN.

Now why dont you jump off that high horse you're on before it throws you off and correct all the errors here, after which you should get your nice thin blond man to give you a good 'seeing to' so you can breath.

I most definitely didn't go to oxbridge!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now