League table of Ex Poly's ?

(105 Posts)
Gunznroses Sun 21-Apr-13 18:00:23

I have no dc of university age, but i've been wondering, its been a few good yrs now since all poly's were upgraded to Uni's. Does anyone think that we might be seeing the emergence of a few climbing up the hierarchy ladder of status, maybe even entering Russell Group in future ? Oxford Brooke's in particular seems to be coming up a lot with youngsters who couldn't get into Oxford or Cambridge.

Even if RG is not on the card's which ex poly's would you say are higly rated at the moment ?

Talkinpeace Tue 23-Apr-13 17:35:12

Gunznroses
what, like Jeffrey Archer did
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Archer#Oxford

Gunznroses Tue 23-Apr-13 17:46:50

shock certainly a colourful character i'd say! Seems to have a knack for attending instituations closely named after famous ones, one of my pet hates! You'll always feel second best. Still unclear after reafing that wether he actually got a degree confused. i liked his books a lot as a teenager.

Gunznroses Tue 23-Apr-13 17:47:16

Institutions

Kewcumber Tue 23-Apr-13 17:49:56

its now Cardiff University (after merger) but was UWIST when I went there, its university status in 1967 so obviously has gained respectability in the meantime!

mumeeee Wed 24-Apr-13 10:05:59

TVU is now University of West London it changed a couple of years ago.

Lots of former technical institutes etc became universities in the 1960s and 70s. They're often very good for STEM degrees. Places like Aston, Strathclyde or Heriott-Watt.

Lots of the former polys (universities from 1993 onward) are much better for degrees like nursing than their more highly regarded counterparts. When I was an UG I knew people doing nursing at both Glasgow and caley (formerly Glasgow poly). Caley was much better for nursing (Glasgow was good at training doctors). I think northumbria (or Newcastle poly as you're all calling it) is good for nursing too.

Hamishbear Thu 25-Apr-13 09:45:31

I know many who are very successful in enviable jobs that are Oxford Brookes graduates, editors on the glossies, high up in TV and the media etc.

Xenia Thu 25-Apr-13 14:35:41

Universities where the Rich List went:

1) Oxford - 401 super-rich graduates worth an average £83m each - alumni include Michael Palin

2) Cambridge - 361, £169m - including Sacha Baron Cohen

3) LSE - 273, £84m - including Sir Mick Jagger

4) Imperial - 127, £67m - including Brian May

5) London Business School - 106, £99m - including Cyrus Mistry

6) Manchester - 102, £22m - including Sir Terry Leahy

7) UCL - 99, £29m - including Ricky Gervais

8) Nottingham - 92, £22m - including Sir John Sawers

9) Edinburgh - 80, £52m - including Sir Chris Hoy

10) Birmingham - 68, £69m - including David Gill

It is interesting that so many of those are in London.

bigTillyMint Thu 25-Apr-13 15:24:11

Mine is no.30 for my subjectsmile

bigTillyMint Thu 25-Apr-13 15:25:52

I don't measure success with salary (although we obviously want enough to live comfortably on) - job satisfaction is far more important to me.

CecilyP Thu 25-Apr-13 16:21:29

Do you think Mick Jagger would be less rich if he'd dropped out of a poly rather than the LSE, Xenia?

Xenia Thu 25-Apr-13 17:16:10

Possibly. It's like Branson dropped out of a private school but at least he'd had that good education before that. In other words the ones in that top 10 list above will be clever people as those places are hard to get into so they are more likely to do well than those who go to places you can get into with lower grades.

creamteas Thu 25-Apr-13 17:59:41

In other words the ones in that top 10 list above will be clever people as those places are hard to get into

Not necessarily. When many of the people currently at the top of the rich list went to university, there was neither the same level of competition for places, and nepotism was much more rife.

Some brilliantly successful people went to polys/ex polys.

Jonathan Ive (guy who designed the iPod etc, and is some kind of Very Important Person at apple these days) went to Newcastle poly. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have done any better for himself if he'd gone to one of the institutions on that list.

Copthallresident Thu 25-Apr-13 22:14:42

I did my MBA at one the most highly rated business schools and the best and most memorable session, for all the right reasons, was run by someone from Oxford Brookes. The most memorable session, for all the wrong reasons, got himself into such confusion trying to explain hedging that we had to explain it to him, is now a Professor at Warwick. RG certainly do not have a monopoly on good teaching.

Tbh, RG don't necessarily give a shit about good teaching. All they really care about is your REF score and how much grant money you've got.

Xenia Fri 26-Apr-13 12:53:23

On the whole career advancement is easier if you go to the better universities and if your exam grades including GCSE and A level are good. No one really disputes that. Obviously some people leave school without qualifications and still do well but it is harder.

Is the thread heading a joke by the way? Or is that how poly people write?

"Poly's" like "apple's for sale"

CecilyP Fri 26-Apr-13 16:53:48

On the whole career advancement is easier if you go to the better universities and if your exam grades including GCSE and A level are good. No one really disputes that.

What, even if you want to be famous rock star?

^Is the thread heading a joke by the way? Or is that how poly people write?

"Poly's" like "apple's for sale"^

I thought the apostrophe was indicate omission rather than possession eg 'technic' is missing. And 'polys' looks rather odd, while 'polies' looks like it should be preceded 'roly'.

MTSgroupie Fri 26-Apr-13 17:59:02

Xenia - I'm a bit confused at your so many in London comment.

4 unis from your list of 10 is north of Watford Gap. Oxford and Cambridge are north of me and I'm north of London. That leaves 4 London unis

Xenia Fri 26-Apr-13 21:18:29

Quite a few in London plus Oxbridge is South.

On the more important topic most people agree that if you abbreviate you don't add the apostrophe in that case. In fact when educated people write say MBAs they do not add the apostrophe. When their secretaries get hold of the document they always write MBA's. I was looking at it on a conference programme the other day - the conference organisers ex poly type people had the relevant acronym with the apostrophe and every document written by the professionals did not.

If you write don't for do not that is correct.
However if you were going to put an apostrophe for every missing letter in MBAs you would have to write M'B'A's and that's ridiculous.
If you meant The MBA is going to make her do well you could write

The MBA's going to make her do well.

Only in that context is the apostrophe right.

teacherwith2kids Fri 26-Apr-13 21:44:47

Surely MBA is an acronym (for Master of Business Administration) - and acronyms do not have apostrophes (IBM, ICT etc). Therefore plural is MBAs (should probably be MsBA but that is not the convention), and MBA's the possessive form or where 'is' is abbreviated.

Wheras Poly is an abbrevation - and it is common, though not universal, to put apostrophes in abbreviations (don't...though sha'n't lost its first apostrophe some time ago). The discussion is probably around whether, when the contraction is at the end, an apostrophe that is not used in the singular (Poly, not Poly' to indicate the missing -technic) should suddenly appear in the plural.

Southeastdweller Fri 26-Apr-13 21:51:42

xenia You never fail to entertain me. As an ex-poly grad, I would love to know how you think you can identify some of us.

teacherwith2kids Fri 26-Apr-13 21:55:39

(Looked it up. Oxford Dictionaries suggests no distinction between acronyms and abbreviations in terms of use of apostrophes for plurals - however they don't actually give an example of an abbreviation that is not an acronym. So the use of 'Poly's' is not correct except for possession. Interestingly, it is an area where advice has changed over the last 20-30 years.)

I went to one of the universities on xenia's list. I still put apostrophes in the wrong place sometimes. And spell stuff wrong. And all manner of things.

It's an interesting assumption that only ex-poly graduates would think it was fine to go to one. I doubt I'm the only one on this thread who has an all RG higher education.

Wordsmith Sat 27-Apr-13 09:00:29

Technically, MBA is not an acronym. It's only an acronym when it forms a word in itself, i.e. UNESCO which doesn't have to be read as U. N. E. S. C. O.. whereas MBA has to be read as M. B. A.

Just sayin'. (ex-Poly grad.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now