League table of Ex Poly's ?

(105 Posts)
Gunznroses Sun 21-Apr-13 18:00:23

I have no dc of university age, but i've been wondering, its been a few good yrs now since all poly's were upgraded to Uni's. Does anyone think that we might be seeing the emergence of a few climbing up the hierarchy ladder of status, maybe even entering Russell Group in future ? Oxford Brooke's in particular seems to be coming up a lot with youngsters who couldn't get into Oxford or Cambridge.

Even if RG is not on the card's which ex poly's would you say are higly rated at the moment ?

iseenodust Mon 22-Apr-13 16:28:38

Sticking up for Southampton, I know someone who studied sports science there, secured a related paid job overseas each summer and has been accepted for PGCE so at least some head on in a positive direction. smile

Copthallresident Mon 22-Apr-13 17:00:56

Durham was part of the 1994 group of unis another gang of smaller unis. However RG seems to have become a better known brand so presumably they decided they preferred to be in their gang part of that.

It is all about course and department though... My uni not especially high in general tables but top of some subject tables.

Newcastle Poly was always a great party place grin

Talkinpeace Mon 22-Apr-13 17:31:37

Southampton Solent (as against Southampton Uni) was not even a poly.
It was the Southampton Institute and is notorious for bogroll degrees.

Gerrof Mon 22-Apr-13 19:28:27

Lol at bogroll degrees grin

Thanks for all the info about the R.G organisation. Very enlightening indeed.

Talkinpeace Mon 22-Apr-13 20:36:03
titchy Mon 22-Apr-13 21:18:21

The cruise management one sounds like something Alan partridge would do!

Startail Mon 22-Apr-13 21:32:52

My grandpa always used to grin at the idea of Pond-street tec, where he used to teach, becoming Sheffield Hallam University

Talkinpeace Mon 22-Apr-13 21:41:29
amothersplaceisinthewrong Mon 22-Apr-13 21:44:35

UWE (Bristol Poly) is pretty good I am told

TVU - wasn't that Slough Tech in another life....smile I know someone offered a place there with one E at A level!!! Enough said.

teacherwith2kids Mon 22-Apr-13 21:49:06

(My uni offer was 2 Es...but from a university at the other end of the scale....just saying that it's not always a predictor...)

Saxie Mon 22-Apr-13 21:51:41

in my day a one E offer was standard for Oxbridge when they wanted you whatever your result. Needless to say is was usually given to those who were going to get straight As whatever happened.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Mon 22-Apr-13 21:56:01

No, TVU is definitely not offering 1E to those of Oxbridge Calibre. MY DH got offered 2es for oxford but he had passed the entrance exam.

Copthallresident Mon 22-Apr-13 22:01:01

amothersplace they don't have an entrance exam anymore, interviews, and some subjects have aptitude tests confused but your DS has done well, they rarely give 2E offers these days, certainly not as often as in the past.

bulby Mon 22-Apr-13 22:02:52

Huddersfield is getting a very good reputation. I think some of its courses are among the best in the countr and it's becoming quite big. I'm not sure it even used to have the status of being a poly.
What would I know though- I went to the 'university' once described as the place people go when they can't get in anywhere else grin.

Startail Mon 22-Apr-13 22:50:24

Yes I think DH just had to pass his A levels in tbe days of the Oxbridge entrance test.

My RG offer was something like BBC for a course that asks at least AAB today.

My DF, who is now a constant only need BBB for med. School.

I agree it should be about course and department rather than the 'right' place. But some uni's are doing students no favours - I saw the other day that Staffordshire offer a degree in celebrity journalism hmm

Sheffield Hallam, U.W.E and Northumbria are well regarded, and call me cynical but I bet the R.G uni's in those cities would put up a hell of a fight if they suspected the former poly's were going to apply to be part of the R.G org.

DeWe Tue 23-Apr-13 09:29:34

2E offer was the standard Oxford one if you did the entrance exam. If you chose not to you got a "normal" offer. You had to get 2Es at the stage when you got grants because you weren't elegible for the grant without that, so that was the lowest offer you could get.

I got 3 2E offers. One from somewhere obviously so desperate to have me I decided if they were that desperate, then I probably didn't want to go there grin. It must have come back return of post from the UCAS form.
The other was Cardiff who used to do a "sell to Oxbridge candidate day"-we had an official "interview" with lots of other people who when talking had all also applied to Oxbridge. They then gave us all (that I met up with later) a 2E offer. Quite canny really. It would have definitely been my insurance offer if I hadn't got into Oxford.

My school pushed people to apply to Oxford Brooks, the reason became clear when they published the list of universities that year sixth form had gone too. They went down as "Oxford University: Brooks College"!

But it was a good place even when I went which was not long after it became a university, really good for some things like nursing in particular. But it was also full of people who you'd think of as "Oxbridge types", much more than Oxford University itself.

grovel Tue 23-Apr-13 09:50:28

Kingston is well-regarded for some courses.

Gunznroses Tue 23-Apr-13 14:27:40

My school pushed people to apply to Oxford Brooks, the reason became clear when they published the list of universities that year sixth form had gone too. They went down as "Oxford University: Brooks College"!

Genius grin

Kewcumber Tue 23-Apr-13 14:35:51

how far back are you counting as a "former poly"? My uni was a poly in the 60's and when I went in the early 80's was still known as Splott Poly (Splott was slightly dodgy studenty part of cardiff)... now in RG.

LulaPalooza Tue 23-Apr-13 14:55:39

Ha! I went to Oxford Poly to do my nursing degree and graduated from Oxford Brookes. At the time it was one of the few places to offer a 4 year degree course for nursing and Oxford Poly was one of the top ones at the time.

Just looked at the league tables for nursing education and OBU doesn't seem to be doing so well, these days. 31st out of 70.

Xenia Tue 23-Apr-13 15:49:59

I have seen two examples (work stuff ) where people have said they went to Cambridge (one was Anglia something or other but not the Cambridge university the person was misrepresenting they were at) and another similar one. Some employers should be more thorough in looking at original certificates and asking the institution.

The important thing is that schools and parents make sure their children know which are the kinds of institutions which recruit for the sort of careers that child wants so no one is misled. Someone I know has a daughter who received the best A levels in her comp and went to Oxford Brookes as all her friends were going there. For the career she wanted in the types of companies she wanted that was very silly as it was a hard to enter career where Oxford itself would have been much better. No one told her.

Gunznroses Tue 23-Apr-13 16:43:48

Kewcumber - As far back early nineties, when all poly's/colleges started being called Universities, think that was 1993 ? what's splott Poly's current name?

Mind boggles at how anyone would think they could get away with lying about which university they went to never mind Cambridge, what happens when you start to ask more questions, like 'and which college did you go to ?, who was your professor ?'

titchy Tue 23-Apr-13 16:52:08

1992 was when the former polys gained their degree awarding powers and thus became eligible to use the term 'university'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now