Scholarships amount?

(33 Posts)
LittleTurtle Fri 19-Apr-13 14:29:25

This is on a website of a private school about scholarships. May I ask what this line means :

"(name of school here) scholarships of £50 per annum are awarded by competitive examination to internal and external candidates at the age of (7+, 11+ etc).

What does this mean???

Do I pay £50 every year for the scholarship. Cause the school costs about £6000 per term. Just wanted to confirm my thoughts are right.

plainbellysneetch Sat 20-Apr-13 08:21:40

Sorry, I meant to say that these were purely academic scholarships - if we'd been eligible for means-tested bursaries, they would have been in addition to that. So it really is worth combing through the websites one by one to find those who offer 50% remission of fees on ability.

11+ forum has an independent schools section - ask a question there about your area?

middleclassonbursary Sat 20-Apr-13 11:58:30

"If something sounds too stupid to be true then it probably isn't true. Any school who invite prospective pupils to compete for a paltry £50 per term would open itself to widespread ridicule. The scholarship is clearly for a nominal fee of £50 per term."
MTS I not sure you really know what your talking about at my DS's "posh" one mentioned above there is no remission on the fees!
OP we have a generous income we don't receive CB but get a very large bursary. So don let your income pout you off applyng. If you live in London the obvious place to look is St Pauls boys who are very generous with bursaries.

MTSgroupie Sat 20-Apr-13 13:58:35

middle - I clearly made a mistake. In my defense a scholarship of £50 did seem like a silly amount when faced with fees of £6000.

But like I said, my friend was offered a 100% remission not to transfer her talented musical DC to a well known music school. The fact that your school offers no remission doesn't invalidate what I said about a different school.

difficultpickle Sat 20-Apr-13 15:29:05

Some scholarships give access to bursaries. If you are looking at the fee level of Eton, Harrow etc you can be earning a pretty good salary and still qualify for a bursary.

middleclassonbursary Sat 20-Apr-13 17:50:12

MTS I admit my knowledge is confined to well known boarding schools. But we looked quite carefully at the scholarship offers as that would have been our alternative route had my DC not been offered a place at his current school. All we looked at offered a a pretty miserable scholarship not one offered enough money to make it affordable without a bursary. As already said scholarships are a a status thing.
Bisjo I believe Harrow do cap incomes at £40 000 PA at least they did when my DS was at prep school a few years ago there is that other one I think its called the Peter Beckwith scholarship.
I think I've heard on the bursary grape vine that City of London Boys is generous as it Whitgift not sure about the income cut off point though. Christs Hospital is of course also worth looking at.

MTSgroupie Sat 20-Apr-13 22:09:45

I suspect that the schools with an international reputation don't need to entice prospective students with generous scholarships hence the nominal amounts of £50 or similar.

Xenia Sun 21-Apr-13 09:41:29

Some of my children have a discount on fees for scholarships at the moment. It is not much and that is fine as it is for excellence and available to children of rich and poor. It would be silly to give a huge discount to someone who can afford full fees and the reason I have wanted some of my children to have scholarships as it can be one extra thing that looks good on a CV in a very competitive world which perhaps may be looked at by an employer even in 10 years time even though more recent things and exam results will count for much more. So it is worth in my view having it even if it does not mean much of a discount.

Bursaries are different and that's fine and they are there for those who might otherwise not be able to afford the fees (or sadly because their parents can pretend to have a low income from be self employment and lie their way into one in some, not all, cases)

difficultpickle Sun 21-Apr-13 11:57:12

I thought most of the senior schools wanted to widen access in order to maintain their charitable status, hence the move away from large non-means tested scholarships to nominal award scholarships and increased bursaries. Ds has a large scholarship that is non-means tested (at prep) but there are very very few senior schools that offer anywhere near the same level.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now