Selective independants

(580 Posts)
poppydoppy Sun 14-Apr-13 20:33:17

Do they look better on League tables because the standard of teaching is better or just because they select the children most likely to do well?

morethanpotatoprints Thu 02-May-13 23:15:28

Hello Rabbit

I don't think we have a Costco. We have Aldi and Lidl but I don't use them as they are on the outskirts of town, whereas we have Morrisons a 2 min walk away. Also ds1 has discount as Asda so do a lot there.
If Costco was near I daresay i would use it, yes, being so poor an all. grin

MTSCostcoChickenFan Sat 04-May-13 08:05:47

Will certain people make up their minds.

I mean they post cliches like a bright child will do well regardless of which school they go to. And they go on about kids who go to private school often do worst than state school kids at university because they have been spoon fed all their school lives.

The above points are made to show that parents who choose private have more money than sense. But when the focus changes the arguments flip and now it's poor people do less well because they can't fairly compete against kids whose parents have money.

Why is private school a waste of money when it suits your argument but a bastion of advantage when it suits a different argument?

MTSCostcoChickenFan Sat 04-May-13 08:12:38

... by the way, its kind of silly posting about your GS DD' s grade As and then going on about how private kids don't perform as well as state school kids when they get to uni because their selectives focus on teaching them to pass exams. Unlike state selectives eh? <rolls eyes>

TheOriginalSteamingNit Sat 04-May-13 09:15:39

Have you posted on the wrong thread BSGroupie?

rabbitstew Sat 04-May-13 17:33:25

It all comes down to chicken at the end of the day. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now