Private school uniforms - how much do you need?!

(83 Posts)
Mendi Thu 04-Apr-13 10:15:46

So, DD is moving from state primary to a private school in Sept and we have just received the uniform list. It just lists what is required, not how much of each thing, and I am wondering how many of things like blazer, sports kit you get? Blazer in particular is really expensive, but I guess they wear it every day so you need two, in case one gets dirty?

It's probably obvious how clueless I am. Please help.

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 05-Apr-13 12:22:03

My two just have 1 blazer each. It's wool so can only be dry cleaned. We wipe down any obvious spills (dd eats her lunch in hers silly girl) and it gets sent off to the dry cleaners every half term

Blouses Snd shirts can cons from anywhere do they have about 3 each

2 skirts for dd (school specified)
2 trousers for ds ( from anywhere)
1 tie each plus an old spare.
1 lot of PE kit
2 summer dresses for dd

Callthemidlife Fri 05-Apr-13 12:27:24

A note of caution ref sports stuff.

Not sure if same in all areas, but by the time they are in prep proper in yr 3 they may be doing Saturday school and/or having loads of competitive sports matches on Saturday afternoons. Getting the kit home on a Saturday evening for cleaning and drying by Monday morning is not fun. I highly recommend you don't even bother trying. 2 of everything, all from second hand shop, is the way to go.

And I usually have a couple of extra skins that I throw in because they can stink to high heaven after just one hockey/rugby match and I'd prefer DC to at least have a new skin for each game (some schools will have games daily for yrs3 upwards)

And of course, A drawer-full of mouth guards. Maybe 6 per child. labelled for each child of course (but with removeable stickers to cope with real emergencies....boak). I tend to buy 6 each September and have none left by summer.

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 05-Apr-13 12:31:46

My two bring their PE kit home once every half them for washing but neither of them do any extra curricular sports

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 05-Apr-13 12:32:29

I signed forms to allow them to play hockey without mouth guards so they dont have them.

seeker Fri 05-Apr-13 12:54:58

Pictures- why did you do that? shock Please unsign immediately!!!!!!!!

SoupDragon Fri 05-Apr-13 12:59:06

No mouthguards?! shock

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 05-Apr-13 13:05:58

I figured I played hockey at school for years without them and as they only play for one half term a year it was very expensive to get two mouth guards every year (as the bumf assured me they would need a new fitting every year)

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 05-Apr-13 13:06:52

I chipped my front teeth playing red river in the playground. Dd is more likely to harm her teeth dancing.

seeker Fri 05-Apr-13 13:07:59

I didn't wear a seat belt as a child either!

They don't have to be expensive- and you "fit" them by soaking them in boiling water. But even if they were expensive, they are cheaper than the orthodontist!

Callthemidlife Fri 05-Apr-13 13:08:25

We just use the boil in a bag cheapies from sports direct at £3 a throw.

SoupDragon Fri 05-Apr-13 13:12:13

DSs orthodontist insisted that the expensive, fitted at the start of the year mouthguards were damaging to children teeth and that under no circumstances should I get them. Boil-to-fit ones are far better when children are still growing and their teeth still moving.

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 05-Apr-13 13:24:32

We were sent a leaflet and a letter from school from a company called opro who came into school to fit everyone on a certain day back in September.

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 05-Apr-13 13:25:32

Dd is going to need a brave when she gets her second set if teeth. I thought dentists for children were free.

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 05-Apr-13 13:27:07

I think they spend most if the hdlf hour avoiding doing very much in hockey anyway! They are not at all sporty!

SoupDragon Fri 05-Apr-13 13:30:14

Yes, DSs were sent that Opro leaflet too. Their orthodontist said that under no circumstances was I to use them. We have Opro boil-to-fit ones instead.

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 05-Apr-13 13:36:25

I think the cheapest one was about £35. Seemed a lot for something that would only be used about half a dozen times.

Callthemidlife Fri 05-Apr-13 13:39:12

Dentists for children are free, but if her front teeth are knocked out then to have proper, beautiful implants will not be covered and will cost in the region of £8,000 privately (DH has them, thanks to a rugby game in his youth...).

I would also imagine that if she lost a couple of teeth she would have to wear dentures until the rest of her teeth finished growing, and wouldn't be able to get implants any earlier. Not a great experience for a girl during the snogging years....

Go on. You know it makes sense.

<And there I was, just a couple of days ago, swearing that MNers don't gang up on posters.....>

seeker Fri 05-Apr-13 13:40:45

Half a dozen times? Wow- dd played more hockey than that in. state school!!!!!

But true!

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 05-Apr-13 14:17:06

That's per year. Opro said you had to have a new mouth guard every year

They do hockey and football in the winter term netball and something else in the spring term I think and tennis and athletics in the summer.

The hockey club runs for the serious ones.

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 05-Apr-13 14:18:02

Dd tries to do as little sport as possible.

seeker Fri 05-Apr-13 14:24:47

Seriously, I would be amazed if she gets away with 6 games of hockey......

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 05-Apr-13 14:47:33

They have 1 period of games per week plus 1 period of PE which is gymnastics, dance and something else

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 05-Apr-13 14:50:40

Ah orienteering/team building

Autumn term was football, hockey & netball on a carousel
Spring term isn't on the website

TomDudgeon Fri 05-Apr-13 15:22:37

Thank goodness for this thread. It's just reminded me I need more ds2 labels for summer kit

diabolo Fri 05-Apr-13 18:20:22

My DS is a defender and has taken a hockey ball in the face several times, needing trips to hospital for suspected fractured cheekbones.

He now wears a full face guard for short corners and no-one is allowed to play without at least a mouthguard,

PLEASE reconsider your position on this pictures.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now