Summer Birthdays and Attainment?

(168 Posts)
Kendodd Fri 29-Mar-13 22:05:11

What to do? DD2 is only in reception, she has an end of August birthday. Is lower attainment throughout her school career inevitable? Is anything being done to address this?

Interestingly her big sister is in Y2, they have different 'tables' for different ability levels. All the children, apart from one, on the top table are September birthdays.

Kendodd Sun 31-Mar-13 14:34:19

OP, you seem determed that your child will be less successful because of this.

That's a really horrible thing to say... but I am going to listen to it. I do feel really annoyed that she IS disadvantaged because of this but I'm going to have to watch that my worry/anger doesn't spill over into lower expectations for her. I feel sure I haven't let this happen yet though. She is also the youngest in our family, although very close in age to her siblings.

She seems to be doing very well academic side (I would think that though!) but her emotional intelligence just isn't there yet. Her teacher agrees. She has learnt to read quite easily and is physically tall which I think helps. I should add that's she's also the best looking grin really she is though!

I got quite annoyed with this thread early on because it just seemed to be a place to boast about how well your summer born children were doing.

Elibean Sun 31-Mar-13 14:46:55

Kendod, Reception is far too early to extrapolate anything at all in terms of 'througout school careers'.

My dd's best friend is August born, and has been fairly middling in attainment throughout KS1 - but is catching up now, half way through KS2. Her mother worries about disadvantage too, but it really does get less obvious as time goes on.

Also, in a good school, your daughter's progress will count far more than anything else - education is not a competition (though tell that to MN wink).

mrz Sun 31-Mar-13 14:52:29

Historically summer born children started school one or two terms after their older classmates so they were playing catch up from their first moment in school.

Ronaldo Sun 31-Mar-13 16:54:55

I am very dubious about any " advantage " being gained by making a child who is barely past 4 years old go to school with peers who are five plus as being any way of improving their outcomes.

I dont think they catch up as aresult of being put into that cut and thrust. They get bullied more often I think.

I do think there is an argument for waiting until all children are older ( ie rising 7) before putting them into education. I think that the maturity at that age and the readiness for understanding rules makes it a time when immaturities and other issues which are clearly age defined.

Of course that doesnt suit an economic stiuation where parents need to park their kids off at far too young an age in school babysitting but thats another issue

Badvoc Sun 31-Mar-13 17:00:35

Hmmmm interesting, thanks
I deeply regret not deferring ds1s entry sad

mrz Sun 31-Mar-13 17:23:41

I know you were bullied as a child jabed but it is much less common than your experience would suggest.

Even if school starting age was changed to rising 7 there will always be that age gap of almost a year in any class.

In my present class one of the most confident and able child is a boy with an August 31st birthday ... not only has he caught up but he has left some of his older classmates standing and IMHE this isn't unusual.

Badvoc Sun 31-Mar-13 17:27:44

I am hopeful that by year 7 it will not be obvious that he has a summer b day

Ronaldo Sun 31-Mar-13 17:30:51

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Ronaldo Sun 31-Mar-13 17:33:11

Badvoc, it is my opinion and experience that by 7 many issues are sorted. However, I do not think the " gap" is fully closed before 12 or 13 - and even then maybe not so in many instances.

I do think a later start helps. Kids do compare and they do ask why someone elsedoesbetter than they do, and too often at a young age, it is simply an age related matter, nothing to to with any academic or future potential.

NaturalBaby Sun 31-Mar-13 17:35:25

I have an August boy and he is further ahead than other kids in his year because he has a big brother. Some kids will fit the trends, others won't. Try to focus on your child's strengths and weaknesses rather than her birth date.

If you are concerned about your child's reading, writing, numbers then there are plenty of activities you can do at home.

Have you spoken to the teacher about your concerns? We get a sheet of ideas once a term for things to do at home to encourage our dc's based on what they are doing at school.

mrz Sun 31-Mar-13 17:37:57

jabed you have stated numerous times you were bullied as a child so how is repeating that fact making things up?

hwjm1945 Sun 31-Mar-13 17:39:05

I have Sept born DD1 who is to table and May born DD2 who is middling. Second born is v trombonist.down to wearing boys underpants etc.running swimming are het things,getting her to read is a struggle.I think they are equally bright in terms of raw material so I think Sept does count for something but not everything

Ronaldo Sun 31-Mar-13 17:40:33

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Ronaldo Sun 31-Mar-13 17:41:08

I was not bulliedasa five year old - thats stretching things lady!

mrz Sun 31-Mar-13 17:41:49

Where did I say you were bullied at five years of age jabed?

Ronaldo Sun 31-Mar-13 17:47:11

mrz Sun 31-Mar-13 17:52:01

perhaps all your teachers were like you jabed ... and for the record I was not implying any such thing.

mrz Sun 31-Mar-13 17:53:50

and as to your son I suggested that as a normal four year old his fine and gross motor skills might need some fun activities to improve his handwriting as you posted his teacher had raised concerns. If you can't see the difference I pity you.

nooka Sun 31-Mar-13 18:07:14

What an absolutely grim view of special needs. My son still at 13 has handwriting problems. He is not 'subnormal' he just has some specific difficulties. Just yuck really.

Mrs I was curious about the rationale for not staggering. I was very glad that my ds started school a term later (May birthday) he found school hard enough when he started and from the point of view of confidence would probably have done better starting school like dd at very nearly five.

Ronaldo Sun 31-Mar-13 18:18:37

Ronaldo Sun 31-Mar-13 18:22:06

mrz Sun 31-Mar-13 18:23:20

You said his teacher was concerned that he wasn't using enough pressure when writing and I suggested monkey bars and wheelbarrow walking and a 2b pencil so he could make a satisfying mark with less pressure ... you took offence.
If I remember you accused me of having a vested interest

teacherwith2kids Sun 31-Mar-13 18:26:08

Ronaldo - my DS, as an exceptionally able 4 / 5 year old in Reception, had trouble with fine (not gross) motor skills.

He benfitted hugely both from fun activities to improve these as well as techniques that allowed him to record his complex maths work in a larger form.

All children, however able, have slkills which they may need to develop - whether they be academic, social, motor - and any good teacher not only identifies the srengths (in my DS's case, his academic skills) but also looks at ways to improve areas which are not so strong. 'Special Needs' doesn't come into it - it is just good teaching. Poor fine motor skills imply absolutely nothing ab out a child's intellectual capabilities - though sttengthening a child's fine motor skills can improve their ability to represent their intellectual activity in a legible written form....

Ronaldo Sun 31-Mar-13 18:26:23

I said ( and it wasnt on MN as I recall) that the teacher had made a comment to my DW which we couldnt understand as it did not appear to be the case at home and asked for some advice.

I guess you stung me for asking the latter.

Ronaldo Sun 31-Mar-13 18:27:58

teacherwith2kids, what happened in my DS'scasewasthat his ( so called) teacher hadmade an error and it later came out she had confused him with another DC. In fact she didnt even have any idea who my DS was when we got round to questioning the matter.

However, that never stops some people does it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now