Boarding school for sixth former

(113 Posts)
ALong151 Mon 11-Mar-13 04:45:42

We're expatriates and looking to place DD at a good boarding school that would allow her to stay over exeat weekends or have no exeat weekends. As DD is rather academic, we"re looking or some place that would be able to nurture her and explore her potential to the fullest while encouraging her to do her best.She is also an all rounder with music and sport so would want to look for someplace that has facilities and opportunities over the weekends to keep her occupied. Since we are away , we would prefer a school which has mostly full boarders so she would not feel that the school is empty during weekends.

The problem is we are looking for her to start in sept, 2013 and it is rather late in the day applying now but news of our continued posting overseas just came in.Originally, she had been with us but we feel that we would want her to get back into the uk education system to get her ready for university. With no pressure from us at all, DD is aiming to enter oxbridge. Have written to many schools, but the reputed top schools have already allocated their places and do not accept anymore.

Great if we can get any feedback here.

Glowworm3 Sat 04-May-13 18:26:38

Do check out Leighton Park in Reading; my DD did brilliantly here, top results and now at a top uni. DS taking IB now. Great pastoral care and lovely ethos being a Quaker school. I love it as it is a balance of good academic, really really good pastoral care, loads of opportunities and extra curricular stuff, and amazing food too.
Think the new Head has got rid of most exeat weekends!
I think they still have some 6th form places still this year (I was talking to DS's housemaster...).
Good luck!

musu Sat 04-May-13 19:12:33

I can't see how you can spend the day at a school as a parent or do you mean your dc spending the day? If you are visiting then most visits are no more than 2-3 hours at most for an open day and 2 hours max for a private tour. If you were organised you could see at least two schools in a day if not more (depending on location).

StrangeGlue Sat 04-May-13 19:18:04

Have you considered the state boarding schools? Some are excellent particularly hockerill. You can contact the sbsa for info.

You don't pay for the education but do pay for boarding c. £10k/yr

musu Sat 04-May-13 21:24:21

The OP said that 'state boarding is out'. No idea why as there are some excellent state boarding schools. We have Reading Boys near us and it has an excellent reputation (no good for the OP's DD though!).

happygardening Sun 05-May-13 15:05:13

musu I think you'll find the OP says state boarding is out not because she doesn't think it's any good but because she's outside of the EU!

poppydoppy Sun 05-May-13 15:57:59

Im just wondering how you know your DDs gained all A* in her exams when they've not even started yet?

mummytime Belgium Sun 05-May-13 16:11:51

Have you factored in the cost of going to Oxbridge if you are living outside the EU?

Cerisier Sun 05-May-13 16:36:59

It sounds like you are in Singapore OP. is DD in Y11 or in Y12 or on a gap year between the two? Is she staying with relatives and at school in the UK or at school in Singapore?

I am a bit confused as you say she has done her GCSEs, but you are talking about a sixth form place- presumably for a two year course, or do you just need a place for Y13? In which case matching up the courses/exam boards will be hard.

happygardening Sun 05-May-13 17:59:05

I understand the OP's DD has done her IGCSE's (achieving all A*'s) outside of the EU and was looking for somewhere to do her A levels and thought coming to the UK would be a very good experience for. I believe she's found a suitable boarding school.

Fashy Sat 20-Jul-13 07:45:23

I am in the same boat, ALong151, only difference is you started this in march, I am starting this in July

Looking for places in boarding schools for highly able academic kids, with Oxbridge potential - previously been at top London schools with top grades

So would be great to comapre notes with all you - on your reserach and decisions - if you ares still active on this forum - please drop a line, and we can engage

thanks a lot, Flashy

Lizzzar Wed 21-Aug-13 02:14:15

Boarding schools with the best Oxbridge record are Westminster (probably best record overall) Eton, Harrow, Winchester, St. Paul's boys (but very small boarding I've heard) Wycombe Abbey and Cheltenham Ladies College. But people do get in from all kinds of schools and the above schools won't suit everyone.

Lizzzar Wed 21-Aug-13 02:22:17

I believe Sevenoaks also has pretty good Oxbridge entry, but it is IB only in the Sixth form, and has more international emphasis than most boarding schools.

Lizzzar Sun 01-Sep-13 12:41:55

It may be a bit late to comment again, but Along151, who started the thread, is going to struggle to get into most well regarded a British schools, simply because she started applying so late. If she is OK with the IB - I believe it doesn't suit all children so well, no matter how bright - then Marymount and TASIS can sometimes squeeze children in at the last minute, and have gained Oxbridge places. Boarding schools with a reasonable reputation that might possibly have last minute places also include Sherborne girls, St Mary's Calne and Roedean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now