Help from common entrance Mums

(6 Posts)
poppydoppy Fri 08-Mar-13 11:54:04

DS has just had common entrance mock exams (year 7) our parents evening is not until after Easter so I am looking for some advice from experienced Mums. DS has scored between 65 and 80 in all his level 2 common entrance papers. Does this mean he is in a good place to go to selective private schools next year?
Thank you

LIZS Fri 08-Mar-13 11:59:07

I would have thought so but it does depend on the criteria for each school.

scaevola Fri 08-Mar-13 12:10:14

It seems you're not looking at schools which pre-test, but you must be in discussion with a short list of schools you're interested in by now. You probably need to ask (if they do not publish on website) what range CE mark they look for.

Where are you in the country and what do you mean by selective private schools?

If you mean St Paul's and Westminster - not sure - they require 70% across the board inc level 3 papers.

However, his scores are respectable and would be high enough for quite a few schools.

happygardening Fri 08-Mar-13 17:16:34

If he's in yr 7 he's missed the boat for St Pauls Westminster Winchester Eton and many other very selective schools as they interview in yr 6. Cant you make an appointment with your head for advise.

scaevola Fri 08-Mar-13 19:14:17

He'll not be going for any school which pre-tests as I think they're (nearly?) all done by now, and any conditional offer from that will have included expected CE performance so OP wouldn't need to ask.

OP: if you don't want to ask the schools on your short list directly, then HT is best bet for info about what they will be expecting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now