Teachers - why do you enjoy teaching? (Just the warm fuzzy things)

(21 Posts)
wherearemysocka Sun 24-Feb-13 17:59:25

The other thread seems to be coming to a conclusion now and it's got me thinking.

Excluding the holidays/job security and so on, what do you enjoy most about your job?

For me, it's that children (teenagers in my case) are such refreshing company. There's something so lovely about their innocence and lack of cynicism. They genuinely surprise me with their insight sometimes.

EvilTwins Sun 24-Feb-13 18:08:37

I teach Performing Arts and my absolute favourite thing is the extra-curricular performance stuff. Nothing beats it - the excitement in the kids' faces when they come off stage realising that they did it.

CabbageLooking Sun 24-Feb-13 18:13:14

I enjoy the company of children - I tend to spend lunchtimes in my classroom chatting with my tutor group rather than ever going up to the canteen. I love seeing them progress and their pride in their achievements. I think teenagers are simultaneously the most frustrating yet most entertaining people on the planet.

The best thing though is teaching a child who is cleverer than me (so long as they don't realise until they leave!)

roughtyping Sun 24-Feb-13 18:17:09

Seeing their personalities flourish. I especially love working with primary 1 because of this. I currently work with P5 (age 9-10) and still see it though smile

VioletStar Sun 24-Feb-13 18:23:57

I love it when kids 'get' the idea and a little lightbulb switches on. That little smile of 'oh I understand'. And I love their little witty ways: the boys I currently teach joking around with another asking him where his bag was - it had a camoflage pattern. The banter when you get an intelligent bunch arguing a case and when I lose, their thrill at the victory (of course I'm letting them get there by their means). Finally sharing their successes and telling them that the part I played was tiny compared to the effort and growing up they put in. I'm lucky enough to live locally to work so I see ex-students all the time in and around town. They always stop to chat and its lovely seeing them as grown-ups.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sun 24-Feb-13 18:36:21

All that Violetstar said smile

And also that no two days are the same. You simply cannot predict exactly what will happen during the day, when you wake up in the morning!

teenagers and children are such interesting, funny, vibrant people.

roughtyping Sun 24-Feb-13 18:46:32

shipwrecked love your name!

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sun 24-Feb-13 18:48:07

Why thank you!

Adopted it on a Red Dwarf appreciation thread a while back smile

Sometimes, it is how I feel after a day teaching too!!

roughtyping Sun 24-Feb-13 18:49:26

Drinking fresh mango juice...

Yes definitely! As long as vodka can be substituted for mango juice.

Cybbo Sun 24-Feb-13 18:50:35

Love being creative

Love talking to children and listening to them,, theyre hilarious

I like making a difference polishes halo

missmapp Sun 24-Feb-13 18:50:43

I love watching children progress and those moments where you see them 'grow' infront of you when they , and everyone else, is particularly proud of them.
I love the lightbulb moments
I love the breakthroughs, after what seems like endless attempts to teach a concept
I love that no two days are the same, but , perversely i also love the routine of a school day
I love the children, their company and the laughs.

Thanks for this- needed reminding as I prepare to go back after half term!!

Thatssofunny Sun 24-Feb-13 20:19:18

I love that I'm being paid to mess about. grin I'm childish by nature and I love being silly. I get to do really weird things (do hula dancing; set up tents; ring an air raid siren and make kids hide under tables singing very loudly; create slime and freak children out with it; be a right drama queen when acting out things in English "You can't write THAT...your readers will die of boredom!" making up a particularly boring example, while dying a dramatic death in front of my class... etc.) for a living. It's one of the most amazing jobs I can ever imagine.

Yes, there are times that are incredibly frustrating. I have a very challenging class this year and have to be more grown up and in charge than usual (I'm unfortunately considered to be good with challenging classes,...which is why I seem to be given them regularly). There is a lot of pressure to get them to achieve and progress. Besides all the silliness, that is actually something I'm pretty good at. I enjoy seeing kids achieve, especially if it's something they thought they'd struggle with. I love teaching maths and the "Oh, oh, oh...MISS...I'm getting this. This is so easy!!" (most recently when looking at calculating angles and expressing remainders as fractions and decimals).

mrz Sun 24-Feb-13 21:18:56

I love watching children grow in knowledge and understanding and seeing them confidently doing things they couldn't do at the beginning of the year. I love their enthusiasm and energy. I love it that no two days are the same and that things can change from moment to moment. I like having to think on my feet. I love that moment of realisation when everything clicks ...i love my job!

cricketballs Sun 24-Feb-13 22:44:41

I love the 'light bulb moment' when suddenly it all makes sense

I love the banter (secondary!)

I love seeing young children grow into adults

I love the unpredictability

I love although Ofsted/SLT hate it how a lesson can change complete direction due to one comment and new learning can take place

I love the holidays! grin

tethersend Sun 24-Feb-13 22:46:24

The holidays, leaving at 3.30, a gold-plated pension and screwing up your child's education.

What else?

ravenAK Sun 24-Feb-13 22:52:13

Similar to everyone else, really.

It's the kids - they are so bright, irreverent, idealistic & they continually crack me up.

Oh & I get to have furious arguments about books with likeminded colleagues. Which is great.

& feeling part of a community - I've been teaching long enough now that I'm on youngest siblings & sometimes nephews/nieces of the children I first taught, who are all in their twenties now. It's brilliant to run into them in town & find out how they're getting on.

I love my job.

cricketballs Sun 24-Feb-13 23:01:11

tethersend gringringrin

Happymum22 Sun 24-Feb-13 23:18:39

You can provide what many children from unstable homes desperately need, stability, security and routine.
I am passionate about education and issues children face so spending a year with 30 kids is such a pleasure. It is your responsibility to progress, care for and be a key figure to each and every one of them, you have a big place in their life.
No day is the same.
Every single day at least one of the children is really positively influenced by you.
I love chatting to children, hearing what they have to say and getting a different perspective on the world from them.
Big one for me...
I was a shy child and 2 out of my 4 children were shy so as a teacher I really make a big effort to show shy children I notice them, accept them for who they are and don't critise them (memories of 'speak up' 'oh happymum, she's so shy, she's too shy to do that' and hence being scared to as I knew it would draw even more attention to myself if I didn't live up to that expectation). I've perfected the art of making a shy child happier, hence more confident and celebrating the 'quietly confident' characteristics. It is so rewarding for me to see a child who started the year avoiding talking and ends the year coming to tell me news or volunteering to do something etc.

Arisbottle Mon 25-Feb-13 01:36:22

It is creative
Every day is different
I get to spend all day talking about a subject I enjoy
The lightbulb moment
I teach in my community and therefore I love the tie that it gives me to my community. I practically teach on my doorstep and people are just lovely to me every time I leave my house.
The banter
I really like the people I work with
I get to make a difference
I like teenagers
I believe that education is potentially a leveller, it can transform lives and I feel so lucky to be able to be a part of that
It has made me a better parent
I've quite a childish and impulsive side to my character which in my previous job was hidden, I get to allow that side of me out every day.
I get to work with people who tend to be passionate about the things I am passionate about
I am constantly learning and getting to mix with people who are passionate about things I do not give a shit about , or thought I didn't until I realise their subjects are fascinating as well.

Arisbottle Mon 25-Feb-13 01:39:05

I also have had a tiny part to play in helping students achieve their dreams. Last year I had a few students carry on doing my subject at university, two of whom are at Oxbridge and just meeting the most amazing people. They are constantly emailing me to let me know how they are doing and their excitement just seeps thorough every email - I have , in a little way - helped them get there. That is very humbling, in fact as I am typing this I am having a little lip wobble.

notamomtokids Tue 26-Feb-13 12:41:23

I teach English in Spain and being able to communicate with the children in their second language is great. To see them learn something new and use is amazing. Even better is when a nearly 3yr old says something to me in Spanish and then explains it to me in English just so I get it.

'Vaca, in English, cow', this is a massive-smile-on-the-face moment for me.

[Arisbottle], I have received a couple of emails from students saying thanks or just telling me what they are up to and its quite moving.

Being able to shout really loudly at the shitty kids is also good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now