How long is a reasonable wait for an appointment with the school?

(12 Posts)
icepole Sun 24-Feb-13 17:55:15

My son has recently been diagnosed with selective mutism. I have been over two weeks now for an appointment to talk to the school and I still haven't been given a time. Is this normal? I am quite anxious to talk to them as ASAP.

creamteas Sun 24-Feb-13 18:33:35

Assuming that a week of the two was not half term, then yes this is quite long.

Is it with one person or a couple of people? I find it is relatively easy to get to see a single person, but it takes longer if you need to meet a couple of staff.

Did you ask the person directly, or ask the office staff? At my DCs school, if you time it right (before schools starts, lunchtime or just after school) you can usually speak to teachers if you phone, and this is often the quickest route to an appointment.

I would ring them tomorrow and find out what is happening?

icepole Sun 24-Feb-13 19:54:21

It was his teacher, I need to meet more than one so I guess that is why it is taking longer than I expected. I asked again last week but she said it hadn't been arranged yet and she would let me know.

teacherandguideleader Sun 24-Feb-13 22:44:55

If a parent just wants to see me, I can usually accommodate them the same week. If they want other people there it takes a lot longer as I have to find time to contact everyone else (my non contact time is on a Monday so if a parent phones on a Tuesday I might not be able to start arranging something until the next week - whilst I work evenings I can't phone colleagues at 9pm at night!). I then have to work out when everyone is free.

Can you drop the teacher a quick email - response times tend to be quick as its much less formal.

icepole Mon 25-Feb-13 15:46:24

The other person had forgotten, arranged for tomorrow smile

creamteas Mon 25-Feb-13 18:34:16

Great, hope the meeting goes well.

icepole Tue 26-Feb-13 12:55:36

And it was cancelled confused Friday they say now, getting grumpy!

creamteas Wed 27-Feb-13 20:38:13

sorry to hear this, i'd ignore t=any more messages and go in on Friday regardless.

icepole Wed 27-Feb-13 21:11:33

Thanks! Love your user name by the way!

creamteas Sat 02-Mar-13 09:43:41

Did you get your meeting? Hope so

icepole Sat 02-Mar-13 17:40:28

Yes! Thanks, it went well so phew! Really glad to have had it, feel much better.

creamteas Sat 02-Mar-13 18:05:35

Great smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now